Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.04

Hi all !

Is this maybe a Bug with 2.04 & AE 1.09 & Looper ?

Im not a big user of the Looper - but it is fantastic - but I just noticed this.

- if the Looper is placed before the Amp and Cab - say in Block 2 just after the Input Block, I can record a loop, play it back and I can adjust amp parameters in real time to tweak

however

if the Looper is placed after the Amp and Cab - say in the 2nd last block immediatly before the Ouptut Block, I can record a loop, play it back but adjusting the amp parameters in real time to tweak does nothing (?)

Is this how its supposed to be (?)

Not fussed either way but just wanted to check.

Thanks again,
Ben
That's how it's supposed to work. With the looper in front of the amp your clean guitar signal from the loop is being processed by the amp block, so you can tweak the tone of the loop by adjusting the amp block. If you put the loop after the amp it's looping a recording of your signal after it has been processed by the amp block, so tweaking the amp block will have no effect.

That's how it's supposed to work. With the looper in front of the amp your clean guitar signal from the loop is being processed by the amp block, so you can tweak the tone of the loop by adjusting the amp block. If you put the loop after the amp it's looping a recording of your signal after it has been processed by the amp block, so tweaking the amp block will have no effect.

Thanks. Makes sense :)

I actually only noticed this because I have the A/Buddy 1000+ Naked Amp Pack and in all those patchs, the Looper is the 2nd last Block - just before the Output Block - I was messing with the looper in one of his Plexi patchs and noticed with it placed post-amp, real-time-tweaking couldnt be done - hence my query.

Thanks again,
Ben

The Looper is basically a recorder. If it’s placed after the Amp, then it records your amp’s sound and then plays it back after the amp. If you put a mic on your amp and record that, then play back the recording, then turning the knobs on your amp won’t change the recording. :)

Normally, you place the looper after your amp and effects if you want to do things like playing a lead tone over a looped rhythm tone.

Last edited:
That's how it works, the looper can only record what comes to his input, once recorded it only plays it back. If you put the looper in the first place you can tweak effects and amps that come after and hear the modifications.

Two days ago I upgraded from 2.03 to 2.04 using fractal bot. The upgrade seemed to go fine and I played for a while afterwards with no issues. When I turned the unit on the next day (first power up after upgrade) I got the orange "Factory Cabs Not Installed" popup. I know this was an issue in previous releases, but I haven't seen any recent threads about it. Subsequent reboots haven't had errors, so maybe just a transient issue? I started a "conversation" with support on the portal. Thought I would see if anyone else here has had this issue, or if it's just me?

Just logging this "incident" here. Upgrade went smooth. After power up out 3 and 4 meters peaked. No sound. Restarting the unit, all works as usual after that.
USB connected, no editor running. No foot controller attached or other midi stuff.
Win 10

Did you try a reinstall?

Unnecessarily re-flashing firmware (on any piece of equipment) really isn't a good idea. If it's specifically required to fix a problem, and support has directed you to do so, then yeah ok. I wouldn't advise people to do this casually though. Cliff has also made similar statements several times.

In my case, hitting exit and then rebooting again seems to have resolved the issue as far as I can tell. I'm hoping support will get back to me with anything else I should check just to be sure, but I'm up and running for the moment. Mostly I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue with 2.04.

Unnecessarily re-flashing firmware (on any piece of equipment) really isn't a good idea. If it's specifically required to fix a problem, and support has directed you to do so, then yeah ok. I wouldn't advise people to do this casually though. Cliff has also made similar statements several times.

In my case, hitting exit and then rebooting again seems to have resolved the issue as far as I can tell. I'm hoping support will get back to me with anything else I should check just to be sure, but I'm up and running for the moment. Mostly I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue with 2.04.
Agreed. This is and always has been poor advice.

Electronic equipment, especially computers make mistakes now and then. If a reboot fixed the problem then you're good to go.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/2p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_2p04.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Added “Tube Compressor” type to Compressor block. This type is based on classic tube compressors like the Altec Lansing 436C. Since this type uses “variable mu” processing it may add subtle, and possibly desirable, distortion to the audio.

Added “FF Comb” and “FB Comb” types to Filter block. FF Comb is a feed-forward comb filter and FB Comb is a feedback comb filter. Delay Time controls the order of the comb filters, higher values result in more closely spaced notches and vice-versa. Depth controls the intensity of the filter, higher values result in deeper notches/peaks and vice-versa.

Added Comb Filter Type parameter to Multidelay block. The names of the parameters in the block have been changed from “Resonator” to “Comb Filter”.

Added clock sync checking in I/O menu. If the user selects one of the digital input sources (SPDIF or AES) as the clock source and there is no valid input the menu will indicate no clock source.

Changed Cabinet block Room Size display to meters for clarity.

Fixed Cabinet block does not update if a newly captured IR is saved to an IR location in use.

Fixed Cabinet block “AIR” mixing is done before level normalization.

Fixed USB 5/6 Input Level affects SPDIF/AES input level.

Fixed setting size very low on room types in Reverb block can cause crash.
Is this release stable now?

2.04 and efx Rev and Delay Spillover

I have it set to both in the Global Menu but nothing is spilling over when I go from Scene to Scene.

Anyone else getting this (?)

Ben

Spillover deals with Preset switching. Scenes honor the Bypass Mode. Try Mute FX Out.

Thanks Chris ..... Mute FX Out didnt do it but Mute FX IN did .... presets and scenes spilling over perfectly now :)

Thanks again :)

Ben

Added “FF Comb” and “FB Comb” types to Filter block.

i just remembered seeing this. that's why cab room worked so well right at 50% huh. my faith is restored. ALL HAIL FRACTAL.

xCSs2rQ.gif

what are the chances of a ~3ms comb filter and my face being 3 feet from a 4x12 sounding the same...

Last edited:
I seem to be having an issue with very low volume from my computer using the Axe Fx III as an sound card interface since upgrading my firmware to 2.04. Is there something I'm not doing right or a setting that I need to adjust now? It was working fine and I even plugged my Axe Fx II back in as a interface and the volume was loud and clear. I just can't get any volume from my computer when using the III as an interface. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom