Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.03

Note: I can see the the levels of all the blocks moving when Live Mode is activated (from at the Axe-FX Meters Screen) except the
Ah, I just realized that the updated Cab-Lab has not been released yet. A new version that resolves this should be out later today.

Good to know. Thank you very much for you kind support. :)

I almost never chime in on FW Release posts just to say "thanks" because I don't feel like it adds anything... But this "minor" update has a lot of cool things going on (too bad I'm away from my gear until Saturday :() and I'm very happy at the least to see the USB Return Levels option.

Thanks, as always, for keeping us all in goodies... And for making our requests and wishes into reality!

@FractalAudio , In playing with the tremolo since update, I noticed that on Axe-Edit in the amp block on the power supply page, the tremolo controls are labeled "Tremolo Freq" and "Tremolo Depth". The same controls from the amp block on the front panel interface are labeled "Bias Trem Freq" and "Bias Trem Depth" and are located on the power amp page, rather than on the power supply page. This brings two questions to mind. 1) Is this the same effect as the "Bias" type located on the tremolo/panner block, or is it a less detailed version included in the amp block for simplicity and/or to reduce DSP use? 2) Assuming it is the same effect and level of detail, do the amps that would be more accurate using the "Harmonic" type tremolo effect in the amp block use that algorithm instead of the "Bias" type, or can we expect them to in the future? If they are not the same, I assume I would be better off using the tremolo/panner block rather than the amp controls if I am looking for more accuracy. Hope this question doesn't come across as too confusing.

I like the Harmonic Trem on clean and light crunch before an amp. It takes on a slight phaser vibe. Another cool thing to try is to put it near the end of the chain and set the LFO Phase to 180. Funky stereo tremolo.
I am super excited about these new tremolo options! Thank you Cliff!

What an update! Thanks for adding the ability to disable the looper crossfade, the looper is working perfectly for me now! The Bias trem is also amazing sounding.

Will the Grinder be added as a Drive type, too?

If not, I wonder if we can replicate it using a PEQ?
  1. Load a synth block, the Tube Pre amp model, and the RTA
  2. Run pink noise through the Tube Pre and look at the response in the RTA (should be pretty flat?)
  3. Add Grinder at 0dB to see what frequencies are amplified/attenuated
  4. Create a PEQ block that matches
Or something like that.

Edit: it looks like this was already done in the wishlist thread. Thanks, @waxcalifornia !

@FractalAudio , In playing with the tremolo since update, I noticed that on Axe-Edit in the amp block on the power supply page, the tremolo controls are labeled "Tremolo Freq" and "Tremolo Depth". The same controls from the amp block on the front panel interface are labeled "Bias Trem Freq" and "Bias Trem Depth" and are located on the power amp page, rather than on the power supply page. This brings two questions to mind. 1) Is this the same effect as the "Bias" type located on the tremolo/panner block, or is it a less detailed version included in the amp block for simplicity and/or to reduce DSP use? 2) Assuming it is the same effect and level of detail, do the amps that would be more accurate using the "Harmonic" type tremolo effect in the amp block use that algorithm instead of the "Bias" type, or can we expect them to in the future? If they are not the same, I assume I would be better off using the tremolo/panner block rather than the amp controls if I am looking for more accuracy. Hope this question doesn't come across as too confusing.
Bias Trem is modeled in the power-amp portion of the Amp block because that’s where it lives in real amps that have Bias tremolo. In real amps that have harmonic tremolo, the tremolo happens before the power amp.

Last edited:
thanks a lot,
i love a new bias trem, it sound more realistic imho than the classic trem block.

i've a little issue on spdif port here when i launch the update with fracbot.
it a big continue hiss(whistling) sound ..
did you have the same issue by your side?

Last edited:
Amazing job FAS!

Fractal Audio - Simply Better.

Digging all the improvements on the III. Exceeding expectations consistently. Can’t hardly wait for FCxs in 2019!

Could this be a bug?
In Cab block if I select mute for all cabs - theres still sound coming through. When i switch to another channel and mute all cabs - its silent.
Maybe there is a parameter that lets sound through, but i cannot find it.

I just installed 2.03 from 2.02 and now my III doesn't fully boot up. The screen will flash, and the lights all go up, then nothing and the screen doesn't display anything. Just a dim back light. HELP!!

Also, Fractal-Bot doesn't see it either!

Extremely minor display anomaly: the controls on the Tremolo's Mix page are right-aligned.

Back
Top Bottom