Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta

Bro. I know.
And that's what I think should change. For the sake of authenticity and simplicity - it shouldn't be independent. By default, the impedance curve within the Amp block should always reflect the cab (at least one of them) selected within the Cab block...

Of course, I wouldn't want the ability of choice to be taken away from the user.
So, this dependency should be optional. Those who want less authenticity, but more flexibility, could mix and match different impedance curves with different cabs as they can now...

You're asking the impossible. Unless it's a factory cab, there's no way for the Axe to have knowledge of what's in the cab block. Even then, how would you handle cab mixes created in the box?

Bro. I know.
And that's what I think should change. For the sake of authenticity and simplicity - it shouldn't be independent. By default, the impedance curve within the Amp block should always reflect the cab (at least one of them) selected within the Cab block...

Of course, I wouldn't want the ability of choice to be taken away from the user.
So, this dependency should be optional. Those who want less authenticity, but more flexibility, could mix and match different impedance curves with different cabs as they can now...
But it's already "authentic", the curve defaults to one for a cab commonly associated with the amp. There aren't impedance curves for the thousands of factory IR's, much less third party IR's. How would you suggest this relationship between the selected IR and impedance curve be established?

I think @FreeMind has a great point. The impedance curve really should follow the cab, that would be the most realistic 'real world' emulation.

I also see all the impracticalities and challenges of making it so, but there is nothing wrong with fantasizing about the ideal scenario. If we don't strive for the ideal scenario, we will never get there, and Fractal has overcome so many 'impossible' obstacles in the past.

Possible bug...
sorry to report that the 2x12 Godzilla impedance curve borks and mutes all sound when applied to any amp block Ive tried so far..anyone else?

I am also getting a different cab pop up when all I do is mute the cab....

New around here... I gather everybody jumps on beta releases in Fractal-land, yes? They're generally pretty stable, or at least not likely to cause problems you can't fix by rolling back to a production version, or a more stable beta?

New around here... I gather everybody jumps on beta releases in Fractal-land, yes? They're generally pretty stable, or at least not likely to cause problems you can't fix by rolling back to a production version, or a more stable beta?
If I have a gig coming up I wait. Otherwise I back up my device with Fractalbot then try it out!

Not everybody jumps on them, but a lot of folks do. Like Travis, I hold off if I have a gig coming up, and ALWAYS make sure I have a backup of my presets as well as the earlier firmware.

You're asking the impossible. Unless it's a factory cab, there's no way for the Axe to have knowledge of what's in the cab block. Even then, how would you handle cab mixes created in the box?

Alright, I'll start this by saying, that I don't know the inner workings of Axe FX firmware; I've done some coding as a teen, but my coding knowledge is fairly minimal, so I may say something stupid. That being said, this is how I imagine it:

To say, that it's impossible for the Amp block to read data from the Cab block is untrue. Any object can read any data from any other object.

What I'm proposing, is for curve data to be stored alongside each cab IR. In other words: Each cab file would have two things stored there - The IR and the impedance curve.

So, you choose a cab, The Cab block loads the IR, the Amp block looks into what cab you've selected in the cab block, and loads the curve which is stored alongside the IR.

It would be up to the Cab IR maker to measure the curve of the cab and store it within that Cab file. Even if it's a mix IR of different Cabs - it's up to the IR maker to store the impedance curve that sounds best to him/her along with that IR. If it's a mix IR of the same Cab, it's easy - it's just the curve of that specific cab.
As I understand, the factory cabs are mostly cabs fractal has access to, so they could just measure their impedance curves and store them alongside the IR.

Problem is, that there are plenty of third-party IR's, and IR packs already made and they don't have curves associated with them. In this case - just use a premade curve of another cab. Pretty much what we already have now.

This is what control I expect the user to have:
In the Amp block, the user gets an option to select where to load the impedance curve from:
Cab 1 slot 1
Cab 1 slot 2
Cab 1 slot 3
Cab 1 slot 4
Cab 2 slot 1
Cab 2 slot 2
Cab 2 slot 3
Cab 2 slot 4
Other (You get the same list of cabs as the Cab block does, but you load the impedance curve, not the IR)

Just tried some of the clean fenders and some light break-up tones. Response and clarity are very nice - sounds great!

Bro. I know.

so with the millions of IRs out there, the Axe should determine a specific one from the IR chosen? do IR makers supply that data? i can't imagine millions of curves, one for each IR that anyone could make.

The IR curves hav nothing really to do with the cab block @FreeMind

They are the way the amp responds to a dynamic load, and though ideally there would be one for each cab/speaker combo, the curves are mostly quite similar and it makes no sense having thousands of the same thing just to attempt to be 'authentic'

What FAS is doing is presenting to us the curated ones that are different enough to be noteworthy.

I prefer it this way because it would be a NIGHTMARE trying to go through thousands of cabs then going through thousands of impedance curves. What lifetime would you finish?

I rather it how they have done it - the relevant cab will default to an impedance curve that closely matches the cab type, and I can continue playing or choose a couple colors. How many different shades of dark red do you really want? I prefer 10 different colors than 10 slightly different shades of dark red that I already can't tell the difference....

Here are some links to help you understand a little better:

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-impedance-electrical-phase/page-2

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/please-explain-a-speaker’s-impedance-curve.209761/

Here is a quote from that article:

"What a speaker graph shows is that most guitar speakers perform similarly on paper, and all bets are off when you install them in your amplifier. "

Essentially, impedance curves give you a 'feel' - the interaction between the actual speakers in a cab and the load the amp sees.

So if the IR is the 'sound', the curve gives you the 'feel'. Most will be Similar - a 2x12 open back will give you a different 'feel' than the same speakers in a 4x12 cab - there are only so many different types I cabs, so you won't be getting hugely drastic differences from a 4x12 straight to another 4x12 straight.....less so if the speakers are similar with respect to impedance curves, most of which are already.

In the box already there are only about 10 ones that feel actually DIFFERENT to me, the others are very similar and I won't be able to tell in a mix.

It's definitely more a feel thing than a sound thing. Your IR does the sound, the curve gives you the 'feel'.

If you doubt what Jon is saying here about the feel, record a riff or rythmn in the looper. Play the same riff live changing curves as you go, then start the looper and change the curves as it plays. you'll see the change is much less noticeable without the guitar in your hands.

If you doubt what Jon is saying here about the feel, record a riff or rythmn in the looper. Play the same riff live changing curves as you go, then start the looper and change the curves as it plays. you'll see the change is much less noticeable without the guitar in your hands.

THIS!!

Getting the big loud POP and pegged #2 and #3 output meters thing with 11.02b, so rolling back.
20191219_175526.jpg

Also getting a weird issue with the Controllers list in AxeEdit, but not sure if it is the new AxeEdit or the new 11.02b that is the cause. The controllers used in a preset are missing in the list until accessed via the individual knob/switch with the yellow light on. This happened in a few presets. Will test further with new AxeEdit and 11.01 to see if it is still an issue.

UPDATE/EDIT: It seems to be related more to 11.02b than to the new AxeEdit. All controllers are showing up in the list in AxeEdit with 1.04.00 and 11.01 loaded. Really enjoying the newer features in AxeEdit, but it sure would be nice if a future update snuck in my wish for sorting the controllers list alphabetically. It'd make life so much easier for those weirdos amongst us that use the living daylights out of the controllers.... :)

Last edited:
Possible Bug:
Cab Block is loading the expected IR - 1.
Example, factory preset 005 A-Class 15 loads L.082 1x12 VIBRATO LUX MIX instead of L.083 1x12 CLASS-A 15W BLUE MIX.
Example, factory preset 049 JTM 45 load L.068 8x10 SV BASS (RW) instead of L.069 4x12 PRE-ROLA GB C414.
This is happening in my user presets too. I'm getting L.118 instead of L.119 in my AC-20 preset.
I tried a restart and got the same result.
Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom