Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to the die hard haters of Windows 10, it is a more stable and faster build than Windows 7. I've not run into any issues, using the Update tool. And some of my customers have some pretty old, (even DOS), programs they run for their businesses.

I ask because I have a heap of audio software I've been running under Windows 7 that I hope won't encounter driver issues in Windows 10 when upgrading vs. installing from scratch.

I ask because I have a heap of audio software I've been running under Windows 7 that I hope won't encounter driver issues in Windows 10 when upgrading vs. installing from scratch.
Windows 7 drivers are compatible with Windows 10.
If you use the Windows 10 Update Assistant, it will perform a backup and copy all your programs, documents, etc., and migrate them to Windows 10. Essentially you will have a a nice clean install. A Windows.old folder will be created, that will will have your entire Windows 7 setup. Once you are happy with your win 10 install, you can use Disk Cleanup to remove that folder. This is why the requirement for free drive space is large.

New computer is up and running but not without the usual MS headaches. Kept blue screening after Windows was installed with an NDIS error. Turns out it was an out-of-date driver but the Windows 10 build was from a month ago (?!).

And, yup, UI is just as awful as I remembered. The lack of borders on windows is infuriating.

Those drivers are often provided by the manufacturer. Some are more together than others. One of the nastier issues is when manufacturers make subtle design changes for a specific OEM but don't necessarily have discrete device IDs to differentiate them.

Lack of borders used to bother me more. For classic Win32 apps, there actually is a larger non-visible border so you can move the mouse to about where the border should be and size a window. For the new style apps it's pain.

I'm not concerned with stability, I just hate the UI. They even ruined the calculator.
I've always used the "desktop" format on windows 10. Barely any difference from the old days for me really. I probably won't change until I go all touch screen someday.

Classic Shell will give you back a Win7 like start menu. It's free. Been using it for years now.
A big +1 to this! They call it Open Shell now, and it rocks. You get the Win 7 start menu back, but the search still works too...best of both worlds. Highly customizable and free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom