Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be a few more days. I'm in the middle of upgrading my computers to Windows 10 (reluctantly) and migrating to a new workstation.
Thanks for the update...it's nice knowing I don't have a valid reason to hold off on making the couple of new presets I need for our updated setlist.

Every manufacturer innovates. Hardware, software, it doesn't matter. Some innovate better, others worse. Change always means discomfort for the user. You just need to get used to the new controls. It can't be avoided, so it just is. I'm an old guy, but I'm trying to keep up with new technologies, innovations. I adapt, it is useless to scold ....
I use Windows, my son is an apple man, my daughter has Windows .... We all update, always and without exception, with every released update. It doesn't matter. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages. If Microsoft or Apple or any global manufacturer opts for change, we just have to accept it. As long as they have an absolute impact on the global market, it is unnecessary to lament the change.
I write this because I love this community. Many exceptional musicians, many wise thoughts, a lot of deep knowledge. My English is terrible, but every day I like to read the forum via google translator. I am looking forward, learning, having fun .... Sometimes I am surprised why you are wasting negative energy. Cheers :)

We will just have to agree to disagree. I have had Windows machines through XP that have DOS underneath, and the issue is reported widely as recently as late 2018.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=1974+filename+bug+dos+windows
Sure we will have to disagree if you want to ignore things like verifiable facts and actual history just to prop up your preferred narrative. If you have one iota of curiosity you could simply Google Microsofts history. It is all there.

Now if you were really curious you could look into the bug and find that it occurs in multiple operating systems and was a result of some common design patterns being used at the time. Most 80s era OS had some form of this bug. And the bug was not addressed in most OS codebases until well into the 2000s because it continued to be viewed as low risk.

It was deemed to be a low priority by all of the OS buillders because of how unlikely it was to be triggered in the wild (i.e. naming a file “con” with no extension).

It was considered more of a novelty that people in the know could trigger intentionally, especially given that it existed at a time when the internet was not available to the public and exploits were no where near as common as they are today.

Denial of Service did not become a concern until much later.

As of Windows 95, Microsoft had cut any type of cord between windows and DOS. Windows NT got rid of most of remaining remnants of DOS and moved The command window from Ring 0 to Ring 3. Windows 2000 converged the Windows 9x codebase and the Windows NT codebase.

As of Windows 286, Windows ran in protected mode. No DOS APIs would work reliably in protected mode without being virtualized.

Console (command) windows have never run in Ring 0. That's kernel mode running with full trust. In NT, console windows used to be hosted in system service (CSRSS.exe) but console apps run with a user account and communicated with CSRSS via LRPC. I think Windows 7 split this into a separate console host eventually.

Windows NT never had any remnants of DOS.

The only thing really merged into Windows NT from the 9x codebase is the shell (explorer, control panels, applets, etc.). And that actually appeared first as an update to NT4.

As of Windows 286, Windows ran in protected mode. No DOS APIs would work reliably in protected mode without being virtualized.

Console (command) windows have never run in Ring 0. That's kernel mode running with full trust. In NT, console windows used to be hosted in system service (CSRSS.exe) but console apps run with a user account and communicated with CSRSS via LRPC. I think Windows 7 split this into a separate console host eventually.

Windows NT never had any remnants of DOS.

The only thing really merged into Windows NT from the 9x codebase is the shell (explorer, control panels, applets, etc.). And that actually appeared first as an update to NT4.
The command window did always run in Ring 3, but it would directly access functions in Ring 0 via long pointers. I refer to the idea that the command window was no longer directly accessing kernel functions for the “DOS” commands.

The command window did always run in Ring 3, but it would directly access functions in Ring 0 via long pointers. I refer to the idea that the command window was no longer directly accessing kernel functions for the “DOS” commands.

No. This is incorrect. Nothing accesses Ring 0 via long pointers. The ring state transition happens by preparing API parameters in Ring 3 for the kernel API, then a soft interrupt is invoked in Ring 3, the kernel traps the interrupt in Ring 0 and determines the API that is meant to be called, any parameters passed to the API are then validated and marshaled (copied) into a memory managed by the kernel and anything that is returned is similarly marshaled back into the user address space.

BTW, every single program that does anything at all will ultimately have to access kernel functions.

I wondered about that .... I just got the "No longer supported" Blue Screen from Mircosoft yesterday. For me I guess I have to bite the bullet with a new machine as what I'm currently running isn't powerful enough to run Win 10 ! :mad:
FYI whatever PC runs windows 7, will run Windows 10. I just did a Pentium dual core 2.6 ghz with 4 gb ram and it installed and ran fine. Upgraded the ram to 8gb and it ran great. And right now in most cases it is a free upgrade, using the Windows Update Assistant. We've updated dozens since the first week of this year.

New computer is up and running but not without the usual MS headaches. Kept blue screening after Windows was installed with an NDIS error. Turns out it was an out-of-date driver but the Windows 10 build was from a month ago (?!).

And, yup, UI is just as awful as I remembered. The lack of borders on windows is infuriating.

FYI whatever PC runs windows 7, will run Windows 10. I just did a Pentium dual core 2.6 ghz with 4 gb ram and it installed and ran fine. Upgraded the ram to 8gb and it ran great. And right now in most cases it is a free upgrade, using the Windows Update Assistant. We've updated dozens since the first week of this year.

Considering you didn't do a fresh install, have you noticed any issues running software that was originally installed under Windows 7 in Windows 10?

Just did that on my PCs here. One a new SSD, and one an upgrade of Windows 7 64 Pro - In both cases, it didn't end as bad as I thought it would. The upgrade in particular went very smoothly, and asides from some applications (that I wrote about 10 years ago) needing to run in compatibility mode, and the Waves plugins (that were supposed to magically start working once I upgraded) not working (Gotta love bad advice), almost painless.

Much better than I thought, and the UI (in my case) is not as bad as I thought it would be once I configured everything.

Thanks
Pauly

Going to be a few more days. I'm in the middle of upgrading my computers to Windows 10 (reluctantly) and migrating to a new workstation.

Considering you didn't do a fresh install, have you noticed any issues running software that was originally installed under Windows 7 in Windows 10?
Contrary to the die hard haters of Windows 10, it is a more stable and faster build than Windows 7. I've not run into any issues, using the Update tool. And some of my customers have some pretty old, (even DOS), programs they run for their businesses. The only thing I suggest, is when done updating, disable all the active tiles you don't want or need. and if you prefer it to look like Win 7, install the Classic Shell addon. It's old but still works.
New computer is up and running but not without the usual MS headaches. Kept blue screening after Windows was installed with an NDIS error. Turns out it was an out-of-date driver but the Windows 10 build was from a month ago (?!).

And, yup, UI is just as awful as I remembered. The lack of borders on windows is infuriating.
My Windows 10 has window's borders. Go to Settings > Personalization > Colors. Under the “Choose Your Color” section, disable/uncheck the “Automatically pick an accent color from my background” option and choose your preferred color, instead.

Dude. You're just wrong. DOS didn't exist in 1974. Period. The CON issue you're talking about is a looooong standing compatibility thing that's a holdover from CP/M which was created by Digital Research in 1974.
He may be getting confused with the 8080 - based and 16-bit x86-based CP/M operating systems dating back to then.

BTW, every single program that does anything at all will ultimately have to access kernel functions.

Always liked the word “kernel” but never knew how to pronounce it. It’s similar to “colonel” isn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom