Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t tried this beta’s flanger features. Does any one know if it can replicate a classic DOD 670 flanger? I still have mine that I bought in 1979.

With reduced latency and no audio drop-outs when changing presets/scenes, you can leave axe-edit active all the time when playing. Great. Now I'm waiting for the new axe-edit release to cover the new flanger block ....

I haven't updated yet past 10.01 and awaiting official release. As far as I can tell there were no amp or preamp changes in this beta (the preamp update was removed), so wondering how people are hearing (subtle but huge) improvements in the amps?

Check out the LFO monitor. That actually took me a lot longer than I had planned. Probably 3-4 hours to get it working right.

Question I have to ask: How much CPU does this use? I don't see how it can be CPU load free.

I am NOT complaining, and I appreciate you put a lot of work into it, I'm simply asking a design/technical question. It seems, to this old fart, to be a purely nice to have (which you were nice enough to include) but it is not NEED to have - especially in that it affects the audio signal not at all.

Again it just seems like an obvious question to ask.

In any case, I love that FAS keeps adding features and extra value to my purchase - all for free

Question I have to ask: How much CPU does this use? I don't see how it can be CPU load free.

I am NOT complaining, and I appreciate you put a lot of work into it, I'm simply asking a design/technical question. It seems, to this old fart, to be a purely nice to have (which you were nice enough to include) but it is not NEED to have - especially in that it affects the audio signal not at all.

Again it just seems like an obvious question to ask.

In any case, I love that FAS keeps adding features and extra value to my purchase - all for free
it simply shows the pattern, it’s not analyzing audio right? Can’t see how much CPU that would use.

@FractalAudio First of all, the firmware is sounding great. Secondly, are there any advanced parameters in the amp block we can tweak to get the preamp modeling in between 11.01 and the first 11.02 beta? The first 11.02 beta felt really clear...almost too clear if that’s even a thing, and the current 11.02 beta feels a little darker, which is absolutely fine.

My Goldilocks feel would be right in the middle and I was curious if there was a way to manually get that?

I just updated from 11.01 to 11.02 public beta #5 (Beta 4) and it sounds way darker to me, and not in a good way. Especially on all the Friedmans and Marshalls. I really like the ADA Flanger, but I'm switching back to 11.01 for now. I had all my presets dialed in and sounding great. Now they sound wooly, muddy and undefined, and I play a Stratocaster.

I just updated from 11.01 to 11.02 public beta #5 (Beta 4) and it sounds way darker to me, and not in a good way. Especially on all the Friedmans and Marshalls. I really like the ADA Flanger, but I'm switching back to 11.01 for now. I had all my presets dialed in and sounding great. Now they sound wooly, muddy and undefined, and I play a Stratocaster.

I know what you mean, I was on the beta version (2?) which had the pre-amp improvements, preferred the high-end by quite a lot in that version.

Sticking with the latest because I found I was able to get over it, but miss it ;)

Best way I can describe it, it's like I'm off-axis to the speaker a bit more

There were no changes to the amp modeling.

There's no audible difference in frequency response between 11.01 and this beta.

It has happened to me a couple of times that the sound has degraded slightly after installation of a new FW but re-installing the FW (and re-setting the system settings/parameters) have always provided a "better than ever" sounding Axe Fx III. I always take a beck-up before installation and just re-install the system parameters from the back-up if I chose to do a re-set.
I assume the error always has been in my end - computer "hick-ups" or user errors, - I have been a happy user of Fractal gear since 2012 and have installed most of the betas that have been released.

Last edited:
11.02 public beta #5 (Beta 4) -
Gigged with this version over the weekend. All good. Sunday night I updated my FC12 switch preferences via Axe edit.
This morning, upon bootup, all the mini screens are blank and my updated FC12 variables (display time, bank size, etc have reset to defaults) .

Last edited:
Possible bug:

While playing with self oscillation in the Flanger block the AxeFX III crashed (no sound, all four output meter on the front panel completely lit). So far I verified that this happens with the 'Analog Stereo' and 'D/AD 185' types.

This only seems to happen when Axe-Edit is open, and happens whether editing on the front panel or through Axe-Edit. When editing from the front panel (and Axe-Edit not running) I was unable to repeat the crash.

ETA: I forgot to note that crashes occurred with Rate, Depth, Feedback, and Manual controls set to full clockwise.

I've run out of time to test further today. Maybe others can have a look.

Last edited:
Gigged this latest beta Saturday night and after doing some tweaking to my flanger patches all I can say is outstanding. Thank you so much Cliff for re-thinking this block and adding new features and models. Rockstar you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom