Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.01

Has the function of the saturation switch changed at some point or does it not work properly at the moment? Only "ideal" seems to do anything on any amp I've tried it on.

Has the function of the saturation switch changed at some point or does it not work properly at the moment? Only "ideal" seems to do anything on any amp I've tried it on.
Only Ideal works on amps that don't have an authentic saturation circuit.

Only Ideal works on amps that don't have an authentic saturation circuit.
Not exactly. From the Wiki:
SATURATION + SATURATION DRIVE
Saturation is the virtual implementation of the famous Jose Arredondo modification of a Mashall amplifier.

Enabling it decreases power amp smoothing, resulting in meaner distortion. This switch is enabled at default in certain models such as Cameron ch. 2 amp. Try it with amp types such as JCM800, Friedman and Mesa Mark. With amp models that have no preamp gain, such as Plexis, saturation has no effect.

SAT DRIVE controls the amount of saturation. The value varies per Amp model.

The two available saturation types, AUTH and IDEAL, only differ in volume level.

(Firmware 15.01) "Amp block Sat Switch now has three settings: Off, On (Auth) and On (Ideal). On (Auth) replicates authentic saturation circuit behavior and will lower the volume out of the virtual preamp. On (Ideal) replicates the idealized behavior present in Version 14.xx and earlier firmware."
(firmware 18) "The parameter Sat Drive controls the amount of "saturation" when the Sat Switch is on."
"It switches in a zener diode clipping stage right before the tone stack. This is the so-called Jose Arrendondo Mod." source
"The Sat (saturation) circuit is located between the preamp and power amp. If the model doesn't have much preamp gain, e.g. 59 Bassguy, then the sat switch will have little effect. A real amp would exhibit the same behavior. Amps like this get all their distortion from the power amp." source
"Sat switch works on all amps. However if an amp is getting its distortion from the power amp, i.e. Plexis, etc., then the affect may not be noticeable since the power amp distortion will mask any distortion occurring prior. Sat switches are typically employed on amps with master volumes for just this reason." source
"It always works. If you turn down the MV its affects may be more noticeable. Be aware that a Plexi has low preamp gain and you may need to set Sat Drive quite high to get any saturation. The classic "Arredondo mod" involves adding a "saturation circuit" and a master volume as the sat circuit's affects are masked if the power amp is heavily distorted." source
"The sat switch is located at the output of the preamp. If the distortion is coming from the power amp, i.e. a Plexi, then the effect is not very audible in Authentic mode (just as it would in a real amp)." source

Saturation is the virtual implementation of the famous Jose Arredondo modification of a Mashall amplifier.
Yeah that was my impression. I thought it was effectively installing a mod, but ideal was added for a version that didn't result in a realistic volume drop.

Yeah that was my impression. I thought it was effectively installing a mod, but ideal was added for a version that didn't result in a realistic volume drop.
If I remember right, I think the original saturation on the Axe II was what is now the ideal version. Either way, it's great to have both options available!

Yup. HSS works, too, with vintage low output pickups....
20191202_133426.jpg
Totally off topic, but what kind of pickups are those?

Newbie here. I've had the FX III for several weeks and I'm absolutely in love with this thing!

But, I'm still not clear about something. I've loaded the latest firmware and presets.

If I'm creating a new preset of my own and I start with, let's say, the ODS-100 Clean amp. I go to Advanced tab (I'm relying on the Front Panel rather than Axe-Edit so I learn to use the Front Panel when playing out), and I can see the Speaker Impedance Curve says '4x12 Rumble'. Does this mean that the 4x12 Rumble is the recommended cab or is it the ONLY cab that is the perfect match for this amp? I realize I can pick any speaker cab and play with miss-matched Speaker Impedance, but am I missing some other way to see other cabs that most closely match this amp? Or am I seeing this all wrong in some way?

Newbie here. I've had the FX III for several weeks and I'm absolutely in love with this thing!

But, I'm still not clear about something. I've loaded the latest firmware and presets.

If I'm creating a new preset of my own and I start with, let's say, the ODS-100 Clean amp. I go to Advanced tab (I'm relying on the Front Panel rather than Axe-Edit so I learn to use the Front Panel when playing out), and I can see the Speaker Impedance Curve says '4x12 Rumble'. Does this mean that the 4x12 Rumble is the recommended cab or is it the ONLY cab that is the perfect match for this amp? I realize I can pick any speaker cab and play with miss-matched Speaker Impedance, but am I missing some other way to see other cabs that most closely match this amp? Or am I seeing this all wrong in some way?
from my understanding that's the recommended impedance curve only. i think it has nothing to do with the actual cab/IR you should choose in the cab block.

It's a starting point. The best cab is the one you like best. :)

The speaker impedance aren't 'mismatched' per se

It's kinda a function of a particular speaker in a particular cab.....put V30s instead of greenbacks and you have a different interaction going on. Put those same V30s in an oversized cab and it's a different interaction still. The curves would be the equivalent of swapping speakers....but just their 'interactions', not the speaker itself if that makes sense.

I think that's where it's confusing people-there is not real 'correct' setting, just like there is no correct 'cab' to pair with an amp. Pick one that you like, and work with that cab. Pick a speaker impedance curve and work with that. Simple.

The speaker impedance aren't 'mismatched' per se

It's kinda a function of a particular speaker in a particular cab.....put V30s instead of greenbacks and you have a different interaction going on. Put those same V30s in an oversized cab and it's a different interaction still. The curves would be the equivalent of swapping speakers....but just their 'interactions', not the speaker itself if that makes sense.

I think that's where it's confusing people-there is not real 'correct' setting, just like there is no correct 'cab' to pair with an amp. Pick one that you like, and work with that cab. Pick a speaker impedance curve and work with that. Simple.

This.

As long as the "Update Pre-11x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" parameter is set to YES in Global Settings, presets will automatically load the updated speaker impedance curves; however, they're not actually saved to the preset until you actually click the "Save" button.
Where/how do you go about confirming this?

Having and issue with the Cab block, four scenes one is cab C and the others are cab D, when switching scenes one of the speaker will flatten out in the Align page which the sound changes when that happens. If I hit the M or S button then hit the button back it fixes it's self via Axe Edit, also when I look at it on the unit it will do it also and sometimes the alignment page on the unit will flicker. Only found it on one preset so far. Hit scene 2 then go to any of the other scenes then back to 2

1576181505278.png
1576181542648.png
1576181570205.png

Attachments

• JTM45.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom