Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.01

Your final tone to your ears is going to depend on what you are playing through, (headphones, amps, cabs).
Could that be the issue? Becasue it sounds great here, through my rig and PA.
again, I'm not saying to doesn't sound good, have stated numerous times that it does...just that it seems to have more low end than my years of experience with this particular amp. never was a complaint...just an observation.

again, I'm not saying to doesn't sound good, have stated numerous times that it does...just that it seems to have more low end than my years of experience with this particular amp. never was a complaint...just an observation.
Since it's a "Class A" amp (no negative feedback) it's response is highly dependent on the speaker impedance.

Since it's a "Class A" amp (no negative feedback) it's response is highly dependent on the speaker impedance.
absolutely, that's why I assumed the 212 Chieftain curve would match perfectly, especially considering I'm using a 212 matchless IR

absolutely, that's why I assumed the 212 Chieftain curve would match perfectly, especially considering I'm using a 212 matchless IR
It will work well with that IR but it most likely won't be the same as you "remember" the amp sounding like. That curve has a huge low frequency resonance with a very low Q which means LOTS of bass.

It will work well with that IR but it most likely won't be the same as you "remember" the amp sounding like. That curve has a huge low frequency resonance with a very low Q which means LOTS of bass.
Ahhhhhhh ......... well there it is then!!! Any chance of a DC-30 curve???

that's probably the culprit, i'll play with other curves/IR's or maybe do hit the cut switch and see if that cleans it up a bit. Ran it and the 12ax7 channel this weekend to get a a faux jumpered thing happening, sounded great no matter the extra bass

also, @FractalAudio , just had a thought...will two amp blocks into the same IR be an issue with double impedance curves?? any chance it's overloading those resonant frequencies?

also, @FractalAudio , just had a thought...will two amp blocks into the same IR be an issue with double impedance curves?? any chance it's overloading those resonant frequencies?
Shouldn't. The cab block is linear.

I just compared our reference amp again to the model and it's spot on. I tried it two ways: using an LB-2 and using a real speaker. The real speaker I used has much less low frequency resonance than the 212 Chieftain curve. This particular speaker is the 1x12 G12T so I used that curve. Much less bass. When comparing to the load box I used the LB-2 curve, naturally. In either case a spectral comparison was nearly a flat line.

Shouldn't. The cab block is linear.

I just compared our reference amp again to the model and it's spot on. I tried it two ways: using an LB-2 and using a real speaker. The real speaker I used has much less low frequency resonance than the 212 Chieftain curve. This particular speaker is the 1x12 G12T so I used that curve. Much less bass. When comparing to the load box I used the LB-2 curve, naturally. In either case a spectral comparison was nearly a flat line.
sounds like the it's the impedance curve, i'll try some of the others and see if it gets closer. Was never doubting what you were hearing/measuring, just sharing my experience/observation.

Reactions: jon
chuckle Yes, indeed. A vintage-voiced Strat into either of the DC-30 models is glorious.
Yup. HSS works, too, with vintage low output pickups....
20191202_133426.jpg

This is confusing to me...when I pull up the Amp, the "Speaker Imp. Curve" selected, is the "2x12 Match Chief"...But, you state the IR selected should not be the 2"X12 Matchbox"? How do we know what IR will best match up w/the suggested Impulse Curve?

This is confusing to me...when I pull up the Amp, the "Speaker Imp. Curve" selected, is the "2x12 Match Chief"...But, you state the IR selected should not be the 2"X12 Matchbox"? How do we know what IR will best match up w/the suggested Impulse Curve?
That's not what I said.

wow .... I am not sure if you found a different way of modeling , or that the D30 is just that good ... but this is best sounding amp model in my opinion ... .. maybe it just fits more with my style of music ... but man its unreal ...

If you found a different way of modeling ... you may have to redo the rest :) , because this sounds absolutely awesome !

wow .... I am not sure if you found a different way of modeling , or that the D30 is just that good ... but this is best sounding amp model in my opinion ... .. maybe it just fits more with my style of music ... but man its unreal ...

If you found a different way of modeling ... you may have to redo the rest :) , because this sounds absolutely awesome !
Uses the same modeling as everything else. Just a cool amp. Probably why it's so popular. It's likely the EF86 preamp. Makes things more dynamic.

@FractalAudio I’m grateful that you included the impedance curves of my Mesa 2x12 and Bogner 4x12 that Matt captured at my studio, but can we also get the Matchless 2x12 and Zilla 2x12 curves that he captured as well in the next firmware? It would be great to try those options if it’s possible.

Also, I’m not intending this to be a selfish request. Lots of IR producers have captured those cabs, so I’m sure those curves would be useful to a lot of people. There are factory Zilla cabs (to further justify that one), and I’d imagine my Matchless cab would be a nice variable to that audience like the different Recto or Greenback curves we currently have.

Thanks for everything you do. This FW is fantastic and sounds insanely good.

@FractalAudio I’m grateful that you included the impedance curves of my Mesa 2x12 and Bogner 4x12 that Matt captured at my studio, but can we also get the Matchless 2x12 and Zilla 2x12 curves that he captured as well in the next firmware? It would be great to try those options if it’s possible.

Also, I’m not intending this to be a selfish request. Lots of IR producers have captured those cabs, so I’m sure those curves would be useful to a lot of people. There are factory Zilla cabs (to further justify that one), and I’d imagine my Matchless cab would be a nice variable to that audience like the different Recto or Greenback curves we currently have.

Thanks for everything you do. This FW is fantastic and sounds insanely good.
Your Matchless was nearly identical to the "2x12 Match Chief" curve. I'll look into the Zilla.

Back
Top Bottom