Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
we had a few people who didn’t want their presets to automatically sound better, so we added this option, and even though no one has used it in 2 years, we keep it there just in case....”
Lol....some of the sweeping generalizations you use in your posts are laughable dude! ........that is all.:p

If there was an option that said "Update everything Cliff implements upon boot up", I would select it.

I totally respect anyone's wish/desire/concern to hold onto their presets current state. That being said, I think 99.99% (dare I say 100% ?) of people would like those same presets as much or more had they purchased their Axe-FX at firmware v11.00 and wouldn't be saying "I really don't like the impedance curves".

(assuming they planned time for adjusting their live presets as needed)

I think most people (including me) just get used to hearing things a certain way and any deviation is sometimes perceived as "not as good" at first listen.

Just saying.

I think 99.99% (dare I say 100% ?) of people would like those same presets as much or more had they purchased their Axe-FX at firmware v11.00 and wouldn't be saying "I really don't like the impedance curves".

There's a difference between not liking any of the new impedance curves as much as the previous ones and liking some from both.

I think most people (including me) just get used to hearing things a certain way and any deviation is sometimes perceived as "not as good" at first listen.

In my opinion, members of this forum that update to the latest firmware tend to be more inclined to hear improvements that aren't there rather than perceive changes as inferior.

I'm like several others that would like the option to keep existing curves intact, since I've customized them to my liking. I love the new curves for a lot of things, but they don't (yet) represent the entirety of the speaker/cabinet universe.

Also, this leads me to a bug I found. I'll post elsewhere. This thread is getting a little...noisy.

Last edited:
The previous impedance curve values are no longer stored on the unit. They're currently stored in presets created with firmware 10 and under. On that note, I attached a zip file with Amp block presets for almost every amp model from v10 at their default settings in post #473, so anyone using the latest firmware that wants access to the previous impedance curve values can find them there.
Well I suppose I should have been more clear, I was including the thought that the old impedance curves would also be available as a choice in future firmwares.

I think so. I’ve been playing around with running into the effects return of my amp and the null cabinet works well. Previously I was turning HF and LF resonance down to zero to accomplish the same thing.

That's basically what I've been doing. If Null Cabinet does the same thing, that'll be a time saver.

The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?

Would work for me. I'm betting your ears are better than mine :)

The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?

If this will impact the HF and LF settings on the speaker page, I would disagree. I don't want to have to go back to all my patches set up for a tube power amp and set those back to zero again. Maybe make that an option people can select in Globals instead?

If this will impact the HF and LF settings on the speaker page, I would disagree. I don't want to have to go back to all my patches set up for a tube power amp and set those back to zero again. Maybe make that an option people can select in Globals instead?
That's what Cliff proposed in previous post

That's a given, but it doesn't change the basic nature of what presets are or why people use them.
Your insistence on oversimplifying the “basic nature” of a preset only serves your argument at the expense of ignoring facts. Presets have never held the promise of consistency across major firmware revisions that you’d like them to hold.

I never implied that any such promise was ever made; however, in the past, presets generally changed as an unavoidable consequence, not an intentional choice.
Any time a preset sound changed as a result of a firmware upgrade it was intentional. The change came about as the result of a decision made by Fractal, not an uncontrolled mutation forced upon us by The Universe. The only difference here is Cliff mused “out loud” on the forum about optionality this time.

I understand and appreciate your position but across major firmware updates, changes in sound have always been expected. The only way to hold constant has always been to stay within a major firmware release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom