Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?
That sounds good to me ..... I generally use as close to a factory cab to match the amp model I am using anyways ..... and this would greatly help the 125 or presets that I already have created and saved.

The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?
Yes. A one-use 'convert' button hiding in the menu somewhere would be friendlier.

Might not be a bad idea to store a boolean flag 'is_converted' in global settings, so if a user loads 11.00 and does a full backup at that point, they can return to that pre-conversion state by restoring that full backup, in the off chance they have an issue.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to try this and if Room EQ Wizard has an export tool I can take the data and make an impedance model from it. The data needs to be in the following format:
1.029 13.356 0.015
1.059 13.356 0.015
1.091 13.356 0.015
1.122 13.356 0.015
1.155 13.356 0.015
1.189 13.356 0.015
1.224 13.356 0.015
1.260 13.356 0.015
1.297 13.356 0.015
etc.

where the first column is frequency, the second column is magnitude and third column is phase.
In the weekend I'll definitely try with my cab!

In the weekend I'll definitely try with my cab!
Just a question: the cab is a 2x12 (with two identical speakers) currently wired for stereo operation, can I just measure one speaker, both separately or do I need to connect them in parallel to acquire the most accurate curve?

Just a question: the cab is a 2x12 (with two identical speakers) currently wired for stereo operation, can I just measure one speaker, both separately or do I need to connect them in parallel to acquire the most accurate curve?
If it is a sealed-back cab, with a common airspace, the speakers will affect each other if both driven, so if you use it that way, measure it that way, too....

If it is a sealed-back cab, with a common airspace, the speakers will affect each other if both driven, so if you use it that way, measure it that way, too....
It's not sealed, it has 2 "slots" at the bottom of back panel.
Anyway my question was regarding what should I measure, cuz I could drive both speakers with the test signal while still measuring just one's impedance

Anyone disagree?
I think impedance model should be updated on first preset load after update and loading an IR should update the impedance model appropriately for the IR.

This feature is IMO a foundational shift in modeling and we should embrace it and move forward. Just include in the manual instructions for how to configure presets to nullify the impedance curve.

I think impedance model should be updated on first preset load after update and loading an IR should update the impedance model appropriately for the IR.

This feature is IMO a foundational shift in modeling and we should embrace it and move forward. Just include in the manual instructions for how to configure presets to nullify the impedance curve.

I believe it would be the typical cab impedance model for the selected amp but there's no way to know what ir is being used, so that part would have to be manually selected. New factory presets could be set that way though if the proper cab ir was selected. That could be a great starting point for some.

Anyone disagree?

Generally agree. I had a question about this that I encountered while looking at the list of impedance models. I went to the USA Mk IV clean and reset the amp model. The default impedance model now seems to be a 1x12 V30 (unless I did something wrong?). This mostly makes sense to me - I have four Mk IVs (yes, it's a disease); only one of them is a head. All the others are compact combos with 12s. For the head, I have two Mesa Thiele cabinets (original, not wide).

Incidentally, among the three combos, one has a greenback, one the 90w Black Shadow, and one with the Electro-Voice. (I think one of the Thiele cabinets has a greenback and the other an EV, but I would have to check.)

So a 1 x 12 V30 makes sense. But is that an open-back cabinet and in what size? (The wide body combo has a different low end sound than the compact combo.)

Also, for another Mk IV user (JP for example), their idea of the "default" cabinet might be a Mesa 4 x 12. (Though I think I have seen far more compact combos than heads available on the used market - not necessarily an indication of the population in the wild, though.)

Dave

If I understand, those who want to preserve a version 10 tone can:

1) Write down the resonance info from the Speaker page
2) Select the null cabinet
3) Plug in the old resonance values

If that's the case, I vote for the automatic update. With my primary stage tones, I'd probably be a little neurotic and want to A/B for fine tweaking, but this manual process would be easy enough. Thanks!

This reminds me of when I used to use a speaker in an iso box as a load on a low wattage tube amp and tap the speaker leads to send to a cab simulator (filter). I must have tried a dozen different speakers to find the one that loaded the amp best ( I'd have to record an example of each for instant comparison). Now all I have to do is turn a knob. It is the same experience, without the expense, bulk, and hassle. I LOVE this.

I like the idea of automatically updating the presets but with one caveat.

Have a way for the user to revert to the "old pre FW11x" impedance values if desired. Possibly where the "Null" currently resides.

LETS DO THIS !

It's not sealed, it has 2 "slots" at the bottom of back panel.
Anyway my question was regarding what should I measure, cuz I could drive both speakers with the test signal while still measuring just one's impedance
Still mostly closed except for a natrow slot?

If so, it is still probably a good idea to drive both, as the reflections inside the cab affect the speaker's response....

For anyone who wants to compare the impedance curves from firmware 10 to 11, I've attached a zip file with Amp block presets of almost every amp model from v10 at their default settings. The only ones missing are some of the FAS custom models. Anyway, just add the contents of the zip file to your Amp block's "Amplifier" folder. From there, it's easy to compare the old impedance curves to the new ones. After you've added the contents to the Amp block's Amplifier folder, go to Axe-Edit and add an Amp and Cab block to the grid. Then, select Channel A in the Amp block and select one of the presets from the block library. This will load the default impedance curve values for the selected amp model from firmware 10. Next, select Channel B and choose the same amp model from the Type selection. This will load the new impedance curve values from firmware 11. Now you're ready to compare. Start playing and use A or B on your keyboard to switch between Channel's A and B.

Note: I noticed that the Level parameter of some of the presets in the zip file aren't at their default values. If they're not set to -12.00 then either double click the Level parameter or set it to -12.00 manually.
Having gone through all the amp models with this change, what's your impression?

I mainly use recto red and the default “recto large” LF resonance, while accurate I’m sure, adds too much low end to my existing Recto cab IR patches . Anyone else think this? I am reducing LF R to 5 for now on most “Recto” speaker cabinet impedance curve selections.

EDIT: Outstanding update! I guess I don’t like the defaults though. For, ex. 1x12 v30 on USA Clean sounds meh BUT the 4x12 USA Lead sounds OUTSTANDING. Recto Large sounds flubby unless I reduce LF R but other curves sound great.

EDIT: On Recto Red, changed back to default “Recto Large” speaker impedance and used a steeper “V“. mark v EQ curve. dropped some lows, added some highs. Best my Recto has sounded! Totally worth the re-work.

I am all in on this update!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom