Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just updated to 11.0 Public beta and suddenly all presets now have a weird noise gate change that is forcing me to hit the strings quite hard to get sound out. It's like its triggered quite early.

I tried to adjust the gate from intelligent to classic and I clearly don't know what the F*#K I'm doing

CLIFF or can anyone help? Screenshot 2019-11-12 16.09.34.png

Can you post the actual preset ?

Is this one of @austinbuddy presets ?

EDIT - I have the same preset (it is one of AB's) and have no issue stock or even when I changed the new Speaker Cab parameter to "2x12 Double Verb SF". BTW - and I think I should already know this but what is the "SF" ?

Last edited:
EDIT - I have the same preset (it is one of AB's) and have no issue stock or even when I changed the new Speaker Cab parameter to "2x12 Double Verb SF". BTW - and I think I should already know this but what is the "SF" ?

silverface.

I just updated to 11.0 Public beta and suddenly all presets now have a weird noise gate change that is forcing me to hit the strings quite hard to get sound out. It's like its triggered quite early.

I tried to adjust the gate from intelligent to classic and I clearly don't know what the F*#K I'm doing

CLIFF or can anyone help?
I installed 11 beta on my old AXE FX III and the new FX III I got yesterday, and I am not experiencing any issue. I even restored my backup from my old III, to the new III, overwriting all the prests and settings. I ran through my existing stage presets and changed the impedance settings to match my 4x12 basketweave chosen cab and it just woke up the tone and dynamics. To me it is a huge difference. Try re-installing the firmware? Because nothing should have changed and all your presets should sound the same unless you opt for the new impedance feature.

Guys, just want you to know something else.

This works without a cab.

Let me explain... my bass sounds are sorta bi-amped. I always use the Tube Pre [without cab block] as the pristine channel with the treble sucked out of it, and also differing bass amps [with cab block] with bass removed, for any crunch or treble in the sound.

I sorta thought...well if I'm using the Tube Pre as the bass/basis for the preset, why not see if the curves would work without a cab and it did!
I ended up using Recto Large as it gave this huge, warm, big bottom end. I selected this in isolation.

Then I auditioned curves for the bass amp with a cab block, listening to the top end detail and then made the final choice for the bass amp, running both amp blocks together. I chose the Greenbacks. The bass amp is a Citrus Bass 200.

Now I've had more time to play with it, this is a ground-breaking feature, well done Cliff. Last night I used the Wrecker Express into Leon's LT TV Mix 2, with the Hipower curve. nice results.

It any of you like to use an Amp block as a Drive block [i.e. disabling power amp modelling], perhaps this might give you something else you can experiment with,

There's clearly a lot of confusion out there created by the new feature, but I'll just chime in and say the results sound great to me! It's going to take some time to play with the various cab options, but I thought several I tried were immediately better than the old impedance curve.

There are always risks with making a product more complicated.

Thanks to Cliff for taking these kinds of risks in the name of sonics! I think once again, the tradeoff is worth it. This kind of power is EXACTLY why I'm using the Axe III.

My gate is usually at -40 or -45. It does go away for me at -50 as well. The question is why the noise is there in the first place!
Hissing and humming noises will more than likely always be there to some extent, especially on the high gain presets. Interference comes from the guitar electronics, cabling, processors, amps, lighting and even the wire mesh in a concrete floor. I've had cables go bad where they pick up noise when I drag them across the floor.
I usually set my gate to -40 or 45, as well, then 2:1, 10, 20 and it does not impede my sustain, but gets rid of all the noise. With this setting if I barely tap my strings, there is sound. But when the song ends, it's dead silent.

CLIFF or can anyone help? View attachment 60115
Please disregard - the issue was with my DAW - Oops SORRY

Please disregard - the issue was with my DAW - Oops SORRY

No worries.

I bought and installed the Waves CLA MixHub right before I installed FW11b and for likes of me couldn't figure out why my Fractal gate was killing decaying notes WAY too early. I truly thought FW11b had borked something.

Took me quite a while to realize it was the CLA MixHub gate that had been set WAY too aggressively :)

There's clearly a lot of confusion out there created by the new feature, but I'll just chime in and say the results sound great to me! It's going to take some time to play with the various cab options, but I thought several I tried were immediately better than the old impedance curve.

There are always risks with making a product more complicated.

Thanks to Cliff for taking these kinds of risks in the name of sonics! I think once again, the tradeoff is worth it. This kind of power is EXACTLY why I'm using the Axe III.
Totally agree, and for those that don't have a grasp on this new fantastic addition, and find it confusing, don't over think it. Just play with the knobs and trust your ears. When I feel like going out of the box and experimenting, I copy my preset to another slot and try all sorts of things. Sometimes I get so far out of wack, I destroyed the tone. Other times it's a huge improvement. However, I still have my original preset either way.

For anyone who wants to compare the impedance curves from firmware 10 with 11, I've attached a zip file with Amp block presets of almost every amp model from v10 at their default settings. The only ones missing are some of the FAS custom models. Anyway, just add the contents of the zip file to your Amp block's "Amplifier" folder. From there, it's easy to compare the old impedance curves to the new ones. After you've added the contents to the Amp block's Amplifier folder, go to Axe-Edit and add an Amp and Cab block to the grid. Then, select Channel A in the Amp block and select one of the presets from the block library. This will load the default impedance curve values for the selected amp model from firmware 10. Next, select Channel B and choose the same amp model from the Type selection. This will load the new impedance curve values from firmware 11. Now you're ready to compare. Start playing and use A or B on your keyboard to switch between Channel's A and B.

Note: I noticed that the Level parameter of some of the presets in the zip file aren't at their default values. If they're not set to -12.00 then either double click the Level parameter or set it to -12.00 manually.

Attachments

• Amplifier.zip
    203.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I just spent hours playing my Roland Strat and Bonamassa ES-355 through a modified 041-Boutique factory preset (added RAT drive and Ring Mod blocks) and auditioned the 47 new Speaker Cabinet options on the Advanced page of the Amp block in FW 11b.

Everything was perfect, just perfect. Jammed on everything from a biting version of the Doobie's Listen To The Music to Jeff Beck fusion tunes to Steve Lukather's screaming version of the Miles Davis classic All Blues (and I played at gig volume ;) ). Really solid tones. Thanks again Cliff!!! :)

Then, it‘s time to update the factory presets with the correct "Speaker Impedance Model".
If anyone wants to try this and if Room EQ Wizard has an export tool I can take the data and make an impedance model from it. The data needs to be in the following format:
1.029 13.356 0.015
1.059 13.356 0.015
1.091 13.356 0.015
1.122 13.356 0.015
1.155 13.356 0.015
1.189 13.356 0.015
1.224 13.356 0.015
1.260 13.356 0.015
1.297 13.356 0.015
etc.

where the first column is frequency, the second column is magnitude and third column is phase.

For anyone who wants to measure the impedance curve of his own cab(s) here's an easy how-to with a free software and no special tools required

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/impedancemeasurement.html

I don't know how accurate this method is though
This is more or less what I was suggesting as a W.A.G. for a possible way to measure. Stick a (non-inductive) resistor in series and measure voltage across the speaker as you run the frequency sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom