Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice that if you have input 2 in a preset, and no cable plugged in to the axefx, it makes a bunch of noise (like interference of some sort)? As soon as you plug a cable in it goes away. Weird.

Anyone notice that if you have input 2 in a preset, and no cable plugged in to the axefx, it makes a bunch of noise (like interference of some sort)? As soon as you plug a cable in it goes away. Weird.

I just tested this compared to input 1 and input 3/4 (no cable plugged in) and I can hear some faint hiss on in2- it's more pronounced when setting the input 2 mode to left only or right only. Increasing the noisegate threshold to -50dB on in2 makes it dead silent, like the other inputs. @FractalAudio

I know Im late to the game, but where exactly is the "advanced" page these new parameters exist at?
Hey Bruce, It's all done on the face of the unit for the moment. I'm sure that Axe Edit will have it when FW11 hits. Select an amp block and hit the Edit button. Tap the Right Page button to the Advanced . Scroll down to speaker Cabinet.

There’s no pull-down resistor on Input 2, so when there’s nothing connected, it floats and is subject to noise. Which is okay, because when there’s nothing connected, you aren’t using it. :)

I just tested this compared to input 1 and input 3/4 (no cable plugged in) and I can hear some faint hiss on in2- it's more pronounced when setting the input 2 mode to left only or right only. Increasing the noisegate threshold to -50dB on in2 makes it dead silent, like the other inputs. @FractalAudio
My gate is usually at -40 or -45. It does go away for me at -50 as well. The question is why the noise is there in the first place!

There’s no pull-down resistor on Input 2, so when there’s nothing connected, it floats and is subject to noise. Which is okay, because when there’s nothing connected, you aren’t using it. :)
Well, my preset sometimes I do and sometimes I dont. (Its setup for a 2nd guitarist who isnt always there).

Experimenting with these... it's pretty amazing how these simultaneously do so much and so little. I can hold a chord and scroll through the different cabinet settings little or no audible change to the sound, yet when I play notes, it comes out very different. A lot of the curves look close enough to each other that I wouldn't expect much difference, yet they sound very different from each other.

I took one of my amp settings and just copied it to a second channel so I could A/B my old setting vs the new. I'm using a heavily modified Plexi with the Legacy 54 cab. I ended up settling on the 4x12 Basketweave. Overall I'm liking it and find the new setting to have more complexity and depth to the sound. The mids sound a little more scooped, less aggressive, and less muddy. Lows are tighter and less wooly. Highs are less strident.

Or just keep a cable plugged into Input2. I used to use Input2 for a my piezo system, and didn't notice any noise when I wasn't using that guitar, but with cable plugged in.

This update is killer! Took an AC-20 preset which I thought already sounded amazing. Played around for a bit and then changed the setting from null to 1x12 AC-20DLX. Wow!!! It just came alive. Switching back to null sounds really dull now. It's like thinking HD can never get any better, and then you see something in 4k. Thanks for the continual improvement!

Nobody had any answers to my question from about 3 pages back, as the comments are coming in thick and fast.

So just to repeat the problem - I installed v11 Beta, but Axe Edit couldn't communicate with the Fx3 which is plugged into a USB hub on my iMac. It says it's connected (green light) but hangs while trying to read presets etc. Have tried Fx3 power off/on three times, also computer reboots. Doesn't fix it.

Reverted to firmware v10.02 - problem fixed. All working again as it was.

So my question to Cliff and the team is: does v11 Beta communicate in any way differently from previous FW versions, that it won't communicate via a USB hub for example? Keep in mind that all versions up to and including v10.02 work perfectly via the hub. My Axe Edit is the latest version - I re-downloaded and installed just in case, as well, but still didn't work until I went back to v10.02.

Experimenting with these... it's pretty amazing how these simultaneously do so much and so little. I can hold a chord and scroll through the different cabinet settings little or no audible change to the sound, yet when I play notes, it comes out very different. A lot of the curves look close enough to each other that I wouldn't expect much difference, yet they sound very different from each other.

I shared this same experience. Initially I didn't notice much of a difference cycling through all the options until I decided to just A/B between null and the 4x12 Brit 800 setting (amp I was using). Still didn't get much from playing chords or higher gain rhythm stuff.

However, it really hit me when I started doing little blues/r&b licks. When you hammer on a note off a double stop, there's a clarity that's not there when you go back to the null setting. Maybe clarity isn't the correct word, maybe liveliness better describes it.

I don't know if it's just an eq thing or something's being processed differently, but it's a feature I'm really enjoying.

Nobody had any answers to my question from about 3 pages back, as the comments are coming in thick and fast.

So just to repeat the problem - I installed v11 Beta, but Axe Edit couldn't communicate with the Fx3 which is plugged into a USB hub on my iMac. It says it's connected (green light) but hangs while trying to read presets etc. Have tried Fx3 power off/on three times, also computer reboots. Doesn't fix it.

Reverted to firmware v10.02 - problem fixed. All working again as it was.

So my question to Cliff and the team is: does v11 Beta communicate in any way differently from previous FW versions, that it won't communicate via a USB hub for example? Keep in mind that all versions up to and including v10.02 work perfectly via the hub. My Axe Edit is the latest version - I re-downloaded and installed just in case, as well, but still didn't work until I went back to v10.02.

While it might not be an issue, it may be worth trying: did you bypass the hub and plug in directly to the Mac, while on FW 11 beta?

While it might not be an issue, it may be worth trying: did you bypass the hub and plug in directly to the Mac, while on FW 11 beta?

Thanks for the reply :) Actually, no I didn't, as I have stuff plugged into all the direct iMac USB ports already. I guess I could go through that exercise by reinstalling v11 Beta and flip the USB ports, but what I found puzzling was that the Fx3 was actually "seen" by the iMac and connected (even Fractal Bot saw it no problem, and could load the v10.02 FW back into it no problem), but with the v11 FW, Axe Edit just wouldn't read the Presets, Scenes, etc - it just hung there saying it was connected, but nothing happening until it timed out.

That's why I wondered if there was some inherent difference in the USB communication protocols in this version. If I can't find that out, then I'll try the port swapping thing. Thanks :)

Is this a proprietary info/tech thing? Id love to be able to "shoot" my open back 2x12 with different sets of speakers in it, using this tech.

Is this a proprietary info/tech thing? Id love to be able to "shoot" my open back 2x12 with different sets of speakers in it, using this tech.

If you are using a conventional guitar cab and solid-state power amp ideally you would want to know the impedance curve of the cabinet. This requires special test equipment although I'm working on a idea to use the outputs of the Axe-Fx directly along with a special cable to allow field measurements by users. At this time the impedance curve matching is a Matlab program though and requires some hand-tuning.

This update is killer! Took an AC-20 preset which I thought already sounded amazing. Played around for a bit and then changed the setting from null to 1x12 AC-20DLX. Wow!!! It just came alive. Switching back to null sounds really dull now. It's like thinking HD can never get any better, and then you see something in 4k. Thanks for the continual improvement!

FYI, switching back to "null cabinet" you are not switching back to the old default. It is the old default when you first load it up but after you select another curve, "null cabinet" means just that; no cabinet impedance curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom