Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is likely over my head.... :oops:
Have read through this thread......

So I installed the beta FW.
I dial up a stock preset. Lets say 59 Bassguy or Plexi 50W.

What do I do to experience a difference or do I need to do anything?

This is likely over my head.... :oops:
Have read through this thread......

So I installed the beta FW.
I dial up a stock preset. Lets say 59 Bassguy or Plexi 50W.

What do I do to experience a difference or do I need to do anything?
Reset the AMP block to ensure you're using the changed impedence curves. Pick a curve. Profit.

I've read most of the thread. Seems like some are having confusion about how this links together (or maybe I'm inferring that incorrectly). And I wasn't quite sure myself; so I made a sketch. @FractalAudio or others who understand this, is this more-or-less correct? If so: I can see some manual and wiki pages devoted to an improved rendering, possible with one or more "instance" diagrams that show selection of impedance curves for different cabinets (with pictorial representations of the selected cabinets) and how that might differ from the cabinet(s) selected in the cab block. (Or, perhaps this is all intuitively obvious and such a diagram isn't needed.)

IMG_2646.JPG

Reset the AMP block to ensure you're using the changed impedence curves. Pick a curve. Profit.

I like what I’m hearing in this Beta in many ways. And as always, I appreciate the dedication of the FAS team to bettering the firmware.

I think the issue I’m having, and perhaps some others, is at least somewhat philosophical but has some practical implications. Let’s say I have a primary patch that I use a lot, using the Bludojaii model and the Bludotone 2x12 cab. I use and know that combination well in real life. Now I have a choice off impedance curves to use in the amp block, but none of them is even a 2x12 with G12-65 speakers in it. So there isn’t an accurate impedance curve for that now any more than there was before.

Sure, I can poke around until I find one that sounds good (or different enough that my bias kicks in to thinking “better), but it isn’t accurate. At this point, I somewhat facetiously start to wonder if just having more dials so that I can dial in more than just the two resonances would be even better. Because generally What I think I see and hear is changes in the number and character of those impedance peaks and valleys. And then FAS wouldn’t have to and measure every cab, either.

On the other hand, as I mentioned before, if the “accurate” curve were baked into the IR somehow, that would make more sense to me. Changing from a 4x12 Marshall cab to a Champ cab shouldn’t keep that same impedance curve in the amp block, because the speaker is vastly different.

Just thinking aloud. But sincerely grateful.

I've been trying not to say this since the very first "I don't understand the new firmware" posts started showing up. I'm not trying to be snarky here, though I'm sure it'll be seen that way.

This is not difficult to understand. Instead of just having the AMP and the CAB, you now have AMP -> "NEW THING" -> CAB. All three are independent, just like the AMP and CAB have always been. The "NEW THING" in this equation is the digital representation of the load that the speaker pushes back onto the AMP.

Basic example:
  1. AMP: Fender Bassman
  2. "NEW THING": Bassman 4x10
  3. CAB: Bassman 4x10
Still basic but to show the possibilities example:

1. AMP: Vox AC30
  2. "NEW THING": Marshall 4x12
  3. CAB: Fender Twin 2x12
I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't explain the "NEW THING" the way others here can. My point is that this seems like a big time innovation in modeling. My ears certainly think so.

I've read most of the thread. Seems like some are having confusion about how this links together (or maybe I'm inferring that incorrectly). And I wasn't quite sure myself; so I made a sketch. @FractalAudio or others who understand this, is this more-or-less correct? If so: I can see some manual and wiki pages devoted to an improved rendering, possible with one or more "instance" diagrams that show selection of impedance curves for different cabinets (with pictorial representations of the selected cabinets) and how that might differ from the cabinet(s) selected in the cab block. (Or, perhaps this is all intuitively obvious and such a diagram isn't needed.)

View attachment 60078

I think I spotted an omission in your diagram - fixed:

IMG_2646-fixed.jpg

I've been trying not to say this since the very first "I don't understand the new firmware" posts started showing up. I'm not trying to be snarky here, though I'm sure it'll be seen that way.

This is not difficult to understand. Instead of just having the AMP and the CAB, you now have AMP -> "NEW THING" -> CAB. All three are independent, just like the AMP and CAB have always been. The "NEW THING" in this equation is the digital representation of the load that the speaker pushes back onto the AMP.

Basic example:
  1. AMP: Fender Bassman
  2. "NEW THING": Bassman 4x10
  3. CAB: Bassman 4x10
Still basic but to show the possibilities example:

1. AMP: Vox AC30
  2. "NEW THING": Marshall 4x12
  3. CAB: Fender Twin 2x12
I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't explain the "NEW THING" the way others here can. My point is that this seems like a big time innovation in modeling. My ears certainly think so.

”New Thing” rocks.

FINALLY had a chance to load up this firmware, even though I've been reading the thread all along, eagerly waiting to see what difference it makes and it is HUGE!!!! I though it would be subtle, and it kinda is I guess, but the FEEL!!! That chunky low end!!! Those sizzling highs!!! Those in your face, soaring mids!!! AMAZING!!!

CLIFF IS DA MAN!!

Also, you can delete the old ones, they sound embarrassing and flat now! LOLL!!! I A/B'd several times and it didn't take long for me to wonder how I was enjoying the axe before! It FEELS...it BREATHES....it is IN YO FACE!!!

I intentionally didn't look at the cab in the preset, I just turned the knob, used my ears (something it seems a lot of us have forgotten how to do), and found some curves I liked, and they weren't the 'right ones', but who cares??! It sounds great and it FEELS SOOOOOOOO much better!!

I have used tube stacks for years, playing LOUD and rocking out....and whilst playing with the different curves today, I looked up in disbelief, expecting to see a big V30 or G12 in front my face, the cone excitedly pulsing back and forth, slamming air into my face!!

I remember when I FIRST got the ultra a decade ago, I remember having that same disbelief....looking down, expecting to see the warm glow of some hot tubes....and gazing in disbelief only at a big black box that changed EVERYTHING for me....
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As notalemming said, this thread is not about speaker IR's. You can change/restore speaker IRs to your heart's content and go back at any time.
If you change the new parameter in the amp block that was implemented with this firmware - no, you can't simply "go back". You have to restore your old preset from a saved location. Read Cliff's comments in this thread. He states the old "curves" were inferior, and that's why he did not include them in the new firmware beta. Hence, no going back ...
Got it. Thanks.

The Universal FAQ for understanding everything you ever wanted to know about the new feature

Firmware 11 High-order speaker impedance modeling FAQ

• Q: xxx yyy zzz???
  • A: It is an Advanced Parameter, guys. That is why it is at the advanced parameter section. Just tweak it until it rings a bell. If it doesn't, leave it.

:cool:

Last edited:

But if I don't want to go through and reset the amp blocks for my presets, then I won't notice a change? So if I didn't feel like doing that, I could pretty much just skip this firmware. Or is there a noticeable change, like the 9->10 firmware had?

But if I don't want to go through and reset the amp blocks for my presets, then I won't notice a change? So if I didn't feel like doing that, I could pretty much just skip this firmware. Or is there a noticeable change, like the 9->10 firmware had?
You can just change the curve from the null curve it now defaults too. Just remember, going back to that null curve does not take you back to the old pre v11b curves. It's a straight flat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom