Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff @FractalAudio congrats on this new breakthrough. I have taken a hiatus from FAS gear and went back to a traditional setup. I seem to recall this idea of matching the impedence coming up a few years back. As a power amp with real cab user I knew this would greatly make a difference when using solid state power amps. Looking forward to try this out with a new fm3.

But the main of that Fw is not that choosing a cab in adequation with the right curve impedance of the amp ...???
Also , not using the new impedance settings in old and new presets means not using Fw11xx or am i missing something ....So upgrading is only useful if you deal with this parameter ....
Even the "closest similar cab" curve is quite likely a better match than the approximation used now, extrapolating on the info Cliff has dropped. Ultimately, you are not required to match it at all, and could find the curve for a vastly different cab is the one that grabs you. :)

Even the "closest similar cab" curve is quite likely a better match than the approximation used now, extrapolating on the info Cliff has dropped. Ultimately, you are not required to match it at all, and could find the curve for a vastly different cab is the one that grabs you. :)
I see .... just .... how do you know which settings you need to choose in the amp block when you ve decide if your cab block .??;)

Hey man! Fellow Missourian! You just friended me on FB! I'm getting ready to play with this new firmware. So you can tell a big difference with the new curves? I have my own ir's I shot and I wonder how they will react.
Yesssir, Its more open and the character of the preset sounds and feels more accurate to me. More relaxed low mids, smoother highs, and just feels good!

Ideally an IR would contain two IRs: one conventional IR and one that represents the impedance. But the average IR producer has no idea how to capture the second one.
Exactly, this has came up in the forum before even in the II days... it would require a bunch of IR producers to be able to understand/take this kind of measurement and then also to standardize on how it is embedded or communicated to users...

And even then, AFAIK, FAS is the only company that has accurate and user tunable impedance curves. :D

That said, now that FAS has provided this level of accuracy, I would consider it a significant value add for future IR libraries from FAS to have this kind of info available or better yet loadable in Axe-Edit, etc; along with the work they are doing for the built-in cabs. Maybe others would follow suit as FAS customers asked for the data.

BTW, It would be interesting to try a Far Field IR with an accurate impedance curve and see where we are with the AITR sound.

There are not thousands of impedance curves. And your existing presets are not altered so you don't have to check anything if you don't want to.
I tried loading the mesa cab with the jp2c and got a very loud loud pop and no sound at all on any presets after that,once I restarted the axe fx 3 sound came back. I am really curious as to the difference in sound it makes. But afraid to try again after that very loud
pop.

I understand that existing presets haven't been changed. And if I create a new preset, or reset the amp block, it will be updated. But if I do want to use the new curve in an existing preset, do I just select the curve I want? Or do I have to reset the block and then select the one I want? I just wanted to verify this before I dive in.

Thanks!
Yes, but back up your preset first before editing and saving in case you want it back, selecting a new curve and going back to null wont get you back where you started. I'm loving the change, I haven't reset a patch so far that I would consider going back to the old curve.

Last edited:
I bought the Fractal Cab Pack 3 by Ownhammer, and I use a lot of Ownhammer IRs from that pack and several other 4x12 Marshall packs I bought directly from Ownhammer. My only concern was if it would work with Ownhammer packs. I only got to try a couple of presets with this beta firmware, but selecting 4x12 checkerboard or 4x12 greenback both sounded good with the Ownhammer 4x12 IR I had loaded in the cab block.

I played my first paying gig in 1964 and have owned and used Marshall amps and cabs from about 1968 on. I remember that the old pinstripe ones like Hendrix and Cream used sounded different than the later basketweave, and both sounded different from the Marshall cabs used after that. At the time I thought the difference in sound might possibly be due to the different wood, grill cloth, or speakers, but even using the exact same speakers in different 4x12 cabs sounded different.

I feel confident it's going to be great. Thanks for the continuing innovations Cliff!

Can really hear the difference, one sounds 3D, other sounds flatter.
That's a perfect description! It sounds more 3d and natural. I'm very impressed with this update and it's added "something" extra to the feel. I was playing with the SLO100 amp last evening and it was sounding great going back and forth between null and a 4x12 from Leon Todd of his Marshall cab. Even picking one of the marshall curves they have included with this update - may not be an "exact" match.. but it sounded more alive!

I bought the Fractal Cab Pack 3 by Ownhammer, and I use a lot of Ownhammer IRs from that pack and several other 4x12 Marshall packs I bought directly from Ownhammer. My only concern was if it would work with Ownhammer packs.
Most all the commercial Ir's have info about the type of cabs used, so should work equally well on any of them. What I've noticed is changing the impedence resonse for examlpe from Greenback, Checkerboard, TV, Ax etc. really brings out different characteristics from the same speaker.

I like the sound of a closed cabinet, 2x12, 4x12, 4x10 etc... using the curve of a closed cabinet with open cab irs sound great to me. So I love being able to choose and match by "ear" :eek:….. I think (and I'm very good at this) we may be making things more complicated than they really are.

I played so much guitar with this FW that my finger tips are absolutely shredded, which hasn't happened in a long time! The tweaks to the Recto's mentioned in the release notes are real nice too.

Leon, can you make a video that explains this update? I’m really confused about the difference between the speaker impedance and the IR. Anyway, I’m a bit lost. Haha

This combined with the existing TM/IR facilities would be absolutely next level!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom