Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm an electrical engineneer … but
just cannot follow anymore … bit of overkill … going back to my real tube amp setup?
x Thousand IR's X y thousand impedance curves X z hundred amps … I cannot check this for each preset ...

just cannot follow anymore … bit of overkill … going back to my real tube amp setup?
x Thousand IR's X y thousand impedance curves X z hundred amps … I cannot check this for each preset ...

Nobody is saying you have to check any of them. Use it or don't. Edit: I don't mean that to be snarky either. You have the option to use or not to use the parameter.

This is a really neat addition. I wonder if this more accurately models something that the Kemper might naturally capture (interaction between the power amp and speaker cabinet)?

Anyways, playing around with this last night I typically noticed a little more low end and a little more relaxed midrange. Some amps really sound like they have more depth and some that were great sounding before are now a little funky and need to be re-dialed. It also throws my IR off a little bit as it now sounds a little scooped. So I had to dive back into that somewhat and hopefully won't get too far down the rabbit hole for too long.

(Side note, if you set the impedance to null/flat, you can recapture some of that annoying flat/unpleasant/uninspiring midrange that you get with Helix)

Been playing more today. This definitely seems like the missing link. Going back and forth between the 'null' and cab-specific curves, I cannot understand how anyone could prefer the 'null' curve. The difference seems both subtle and dramatic, if that is possible. These past 2 firmwares have pushed things forward significantly, IMO.

haven't tried it yet, but sounds interesting. the only thing i'm wondering is how we know what the "default" curve for each amp relates to. easy with the combos, but it would be nice to have a list that states which cab is considered the default for each amp. or am i missing something obvious, here?

This is a really neat addition. I wonder if this more accurately models something that the Kemper might naturally capture (interaction between the power amp and speaker cabinet)?

Anyways, playing around with this last night I typically noticed a little more low end and a little more relaxed midrange. Some amps really sound like they have more depth and some that were great sounding before are now a little funky and need to be re-dialed. It also throws my IR off a little bit as it now sounds a little scooped. So I had to dive back into that somewhat and hopefully won't get too far down the rabbit hole for too long.

(Side note, if you set the impedance to null/flat, you can recapture some of that annoying flat/unpleasant/uninspiring midrange that you get with Helix)
The Kemper has no way to capture the interaction. There a limits to a black box approach and this is one of them.

Been playing more today. This definitely seems like the missing link. Going back and forth between the 'null' and cab-specific curves, I cannot understand how anyone could prefer the 'null' curve. The difference seems both subtle and dramatic, if that is possible. These past 2 firmwares have pushed things forward significantly, IMO.
The Null curve simulates a purely resistive load. No real speaker exhibits this type of impedance curve. It's simply there for reference.

haven't tried it yet, but sounds interesting. the only thing i'm wondering is how we know what the "default" curve for each amp relates to. easy with the combos, but it would be nice to have a list that states which cab is considered the default for each amp. or am i missing something obvious, here?
easy on front panel ... and will be easier if it makes it to AxeEdit, just have the advanced window of Amp block open to speaker cabinet, and choose any amp and it will change to default for that amp.

There are not thousands of impedance curves. And your existing presets are not altered so you don't have to check anything if you don't want to.

The cab block loads an IR, that's just frequency filtering, its not connected to the amp block.

The new speaker selection in the amp is related to the power amp, how different cab/speaker configurations make a power amp respond, it's dynamic, with a little bit of frequency response influence.

The ideal combination is using an IR of the same type as the speaker selection, then you have power amp resonances matching up with the IR frequency response as it was shot...but you can use the same IR you were using before, and still change the speaker type to a 1x12 or a vox 2x12 if you want, and all that will happen is you will hear the power amp start putting out a little different low end resonance, get more focused...it's just a power amp preset to simulate having different cabinet types plugged into the amp. Your favorite IRs will still sound like your favorite IRs no matter what speaker preset you use, it's just now if you use the speaker preset for the same cab type as the IR, the resonances will match up like real world and sound a m a a a a a a z i n g
Thanks. Best explanation I’ve seen yet for us non-tech guys.

Simeon .....great post and thanks fot it !!!!
that s what i also expect and did not manage to express here ....that list with the correct cab or ...cabs with the correct correspondant curve impedance could help a lotttttttt ......

thanks for the effort , google should a few rench curses :).......i appreciate
my trouble is mainly how to use benefit of the Fw , mainly when you select a cab , if the Axe does not select the right impedance according to the cab chosen and if you don t have the knowledge of the right impedance curve according to the cab you ve decided to use .....
Generally, you would probably want to pick one that is similar if not an exact match. A Marshall 4x12 with a Celestion or Celestion-like speaker not in the list, choose a Marshall 4x12 that is in the list and see how it sounds. Ultimately, it is not a requirement that the curve matches the cab IR, and you should take a few minutes to try each until you find the one that makes you forget you were only taking a few minutes on each.... :)

I understand that existing presets haven't been changed. And if I create a new preset, or reset the amp block, it will be updated. But if I do want to use the new curve in an existing preset, do I just select the curve I want? Or do I have to reset the block and then select the one I want? I just wanted to verify this before I dive in.

Thanks!

Going back and forth with the null curve makes absolutely no point... Compare with the previously saved preset

If you don't change the setting, nothing changes. You will probably like the new sounds though, so it might be to your benefit to try the new curves in your presets.

Reactions: jon
I understand that existing presets haven't been changed. And if I create a new preset, or reset the amp block, it will be updated. But if I do want to use the new curve in an existing preset, do I just select the curve I want? Or do I have to reset the block and then select the one I want? I just wanted to verify this before I dive in.

Thanks!
You can do either, if you want to , I have been finding it easiest in my existing presets to do a soft reset of the amp block (selecting another amp and then returning to the original..it will not change your BMT, etc, settings but it will set the proper speaker cabinet in the amp block.

Generally, you would probably want to pick one that is similar if not an exact match. A Marshall 4x12 with a Celestion or Celestion-like speaker not in the list, choose a Marshall 4x12 that is in the list and see how it sounds. Ultimately, it is not a requirement that the curve matches the cab IR, and you should take a few minutes to try each until you find the one that makes you forget you were only taking a few minutes on each.... :)
But the main of that Fw is not that choosing a cab in adequation with the right curve impedance of the amp ...???
Also , not using the new impedance settings in old and new presets means not using Fw11xx or am i missing something ....So upgrading is only useful if you deal with this parameter ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom