Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, really, and how you arrived at the conclusion that most users want one amp and cab is anyone's guess.
I've gone to a thousand concerts and almost always there is one amp, one cab for the guitar player.
As usual people misinterpret...I am NOT proposing we lose any features.
I am simply stating that being able to simplify the selection process is a big plus. And it is not debatable that the axe is a twiddler's dream.
But there is a lot of blowback on that from the spartan audience. But, personally... I am a big fan of the features in this box and that's why I bought it.

I’ve been a fan of mixing different speakers within the same cab for a long time to get a tone that I’m after. And especially on asymmetrical cabs, each speaker probably has different interactions with its portion of the cab, right? So if it were fairly easy to bake the impedance curve into the cab block, I think that would be great.

BUT... I also bet that the difference is less than most people think between applying one impedance curve versus two or more. And the sheer complexity of doing all that, unless it can be metadata attached to the IR... I don’t think it would be worth it.

I do think that there should be a “default” slot in the curve selection menu, right above null. Similar to the tone stack menu. I’m not sure what curves apply to which speakers, especially when I’ve got a ton of aftermarket IRs. I know...do what sounds best. But it creates an additional step every time I change cabs, unless I’m missing something.

Last edited:
Ideally an IR would contain two IRs: one conventional IR and one that represents the impedance. But the average IR producer has no idea how to capture the second one.

It seems like it'd be super useful to have a feature where cabs could have an associated impedance curve that could get auto-selected in the related amp block when you select a cab. For factory cabs, this could be builtin and for third party IRs, it could be configured when they're uploaded (assuming that this would only add a couple bytes of storage overhead per cab). There could be a setting in the amp block to follow a selected cab block or a cab block pushes to an amp block.

Note that I haven't actually tried 11.0 yet so this may be a silly idea.

I hear clearly the superiority in the new curves over the old one! as has been posted by others "It's the missing link" I'm super exited about it and have been wanting to see this happen for a while! I personally have difficulty understanding why anyone would want the inferior old curve, but it's all subjective to personal opinion. It seems to me theres a very simple solution: stay on v10.02. presets won't change, the old curve stays in tact, and Cliff doesn't get distracted from development. It's a triple win.

I hear clearly the superiority in the new curves over the old one! as has been posted by others "It's the missing link" I'm super exited about it and have been wanting to see this happen for a while! I personally have difficulty understanding why anyone would want the inferior old curve, but it's all subjective to personal opinion. It seems to me theres a very simple solution: stay on v10.02. presets won't change, the old curve stays in tact, and Cliff doesn't get distracted from development. It's a triple win.
Hey man! Fellow Missourian! You just friended me on FB! I'm getting ready to play with this new firmware. So you can tell a big difference with the new curves? I have my own ir's I shot and I wonder how they will react.

Ideally. For example if you are using an IR of a 4x12 Marshall JCM800 you would ideally select the 4x12 Brit 800 cabinet type. You can mismatch though for different sonic textures.

it's sort of ironic to think that despite having nearly 300 amp models, from here on in most users will end up using the models that now have curves for them.

Je vais essayer expliquer. Je ne sais pas beaucoups de mots technique. Je vais utiliser "Google Translate" pour ces mots. :)

On doit choisir une courbe d'impédence pour une cabine de haute-parleur qui n'est pas loin de la cab que on a choisi, si cette cab n'est pas dans les choix.

C'est sur la languette "Speaker". Il y a des paramètres pour changer la courbe. Cette curve fait un peut d'effet sur le son de l'amplificateur, surtout ou la courbe d'impédance se lève. Cette courbe aussi détermine où l'amp déforme le signal.

J'espère que je vous ai aidé....
thanks for the effort , google should a few rench curses :).......i appreciate
my trouble is mainly how to use benefit of the Fw , mainly when you select a cab , if the Axe does not select the right impedance according to the cab chosen and if you don t have the knowledge of the right impedance curve according to the cab you ve decided to use .....

This is really cool! Just had some time to play with this new feature. More options, more flavors, more fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom