Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
@FractalAudio with this new feature if I am using a deluxe ac20 with a 2x12 blue cab which is the correct impedance to use the Morgan 1x12 or Vox 2x12?
Cheers
Truth? The correct impedance is the one that sounds and feels best to you. Seriously. You've named two excellent candidates. And you own both of them. If I had those two cabs in real life, I'd choose the one I liked better.

Yes I understand that...but if an IR does have the associated response data for a power amp, then the preview function in axe-edit could let you:
1-select the corresponding amp block in the preset
2-transfer the info so you wouldn’t need to flip the screens each time you hit another cab type
The cab block has 4 slots.
The amp block has just 1 impedance curve.

Unless the selection of a cab triggered a calculation of the composite impedance curve of all non-muted cab IRs (ignoring the difficulties presented by the absence of curves for every factory cab and the existence of non-factory IRs that would not be known curves for a moment), whoch active cab's curve should it use?

The list of available curves ought to be pickable in the process of choosing an IR to preview, though. I just have doubts it will be able to pick for you 'automagically'....

Hi everyone ,
I ve read , followed this thread since the beginning but didn t load this beta ,
In this case , it is more than the fence of speaking a foreign language ....(I m French ) but this is more the problem of knowledge .
I l having trouble in understanding the meaning , the fundamental purpose of this Fw which seems to be a great upgrade ...... even when I go back to the beginning and first post of Cliff ...
I dare myself a basic and simple explanation on that and HOW we can use it , I m sure that I m not the only one in this case .....
i ve understood that it does not affect existing presets ... only if you select , reselect an amp .
But if you start a preset from noon ? Use an amp with 4 different IR s ..??
A totally basic tutorial or video .... Leeeeeeon :):)
would be great and really useful for the final release ....to simply be able to understand , use this new improvment
Thankssssssss

l having trouble in understanding the meaning , the fundamental purpose of this Fw which seems to be a great upgrade ...... even when I go back to the beginning and first post of Cliff ...
Good questions.

The purpose of this firmware is to improve the way that the cab influences the amp. Different cabinets have different impedances at different frequencies. The way the impedance changes with frequency, that will affect the signal that the amplifier sends — even affect which frequencies distort first.

In this firmware, Cliff has captured the unique impedance curves of many different cabs. When you select an amp model, it now selects the impedance curve of an "appropriate" cab for that amp. You have the freedom to select the impedance curve of a different cab, if you desire.

i ve understood that it does not affect existing presets ... only if you select , reselect an amp .
Yes.

But if you start a preset from noon ?
When you start a preset from noon, you have to select an amp. You already know what happens when you select an amp. ;)

Use an amp with 4 different IR s ..??
Amps don't have IRs. Cabs do have IRs. This affects the Amp block, not the Cab block. So this feature isn't affected by which IRs are in the Cab block. But you may want to consider which IRs you're using, because you may wish to change the impedance curve (in the Amp block) to match that more closely. :)

Thanks Rex ,
Really appreciate your answer ... and quick reaction.
Does Cliff intend to to extend his measurements to many more as I saw the list in the thread ,
It only concern a few ones ...

Ultimately wouldn’t we want to have the correct impedance curve for each cab in the cab block since this is the virtual world after all .. or perhaps the choice to switch between; individual/sum. Obviously either one is a big ask, individual- cause it entails four power amps & sum- still need to input all the impedance curves & sum ‘em.

I think people talking about multiple curves to match say three IRs in the Cab block aren’t quite thinking this through.

This setting is changing how the power amp reacts, you only have one power amp.

So in order to give what you’d want you’d need three power amps (in my example) routed independently to the matching IR and then mixed afterwards.

Or a hybrid curve made up of the three IR profiles, ok but how does that work? You have near infinite mixing in the Cab block between the IR slots, plus low and high cut, smoothing etc all of which change frequency response and therefore (I presume) in some way the resonance.

Honestly I love it as it is - people just need to get used to the concept which is a whole new ballgame I think

So in order to give what you’d want you’d need three power amps (in my example) routed independently to the matching IR and then mixed afterwards.

I agree, and the other angle here is - how often do guitarists hook up 3 or 4 different cabs to their real amp - I would imagine the most common approach is 1 or 2 cabs of similar characteristics to a single guitar amp.

I finally had time to play a bit with the beta last night, mainly using the two presets Cliff posted. WOW! Knocked it out of the park Cliff!

I’ve read every post in this thread, so I was surprised to hear what sounds and feels like extra dynamic range, on a downloaded preset I’ve been playing the last couple days.

Edit: Oops, I forgot that I’d browsed to see where the new attribute was located, and glanced at the “list” of curves, while said preset was active.:rolleyes: I’d set it back to Null, after the look-see, but the deed was already done.

Problem with this beta:

I installed firmware 11.00 beta and tried it out with a couple of presets. For the amp on channel A I selected basketweave to match the cab I had, then for the amp on channel B I selected greenback. This was for a BEC45 Friedman. No problems.
I saved the preset.

Then I did the same on the next preset for the HBE Friedman. (Both used the same templates with just the amp changed). I selected basketweave for amp A and greenback for amp B. I decided I like the null better for channel B so I then switched it from greenback back to null. There was a loud pop, then no sound at all.

I tried the previous preset I'd just worked on and it was the same. A pop and no sound at all.

I tried some other presets I hadn't touched. No sound.

I then deleted the two presets I'd just worked on and tried some other presets. No sound on anything.

So then I re-installed firmware 10.02 and everything worked fine again.
Luckily I'd backed up everything to Fractal Bot so I just re-installed the two presets I'd deleted.
I tried loading the mesa cab with the jp2c and got the same loud pop and no sound at all, once I restarted the axe fx 3 sound came back. I am really curious as to the difference in sound it makes. But afraid to try again after that very loud
pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom