Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I must of been vague the other day when I asked if this feature would be ported to the editor on its next revision. I don't use the front panel where my AX3 is in a studio rack mount desk.
So is it planned to have this in the next AXE-Edit?
Thanks
Axe Edit is typically updated only after the final version of the firmware is released.

Why would you want that?

ummm.

Not be a difficult but why WOULDN’T you want that ?

How cool would it be to set up a preset with a Friedman HBE outputting to four cabs (let’s say a Marshall Basketweave, a Marshall JCM 800, a Mesa Large and a Citrus) and all four cabs responding accurately to speaker impedance ?

My only question though is might something like this require four different power amps ?

HI,

If you connected 4 cabs to one amp, the impedance curve (presented to the amp)would be an average of the 4, rather than each cab interacting individually wouldn't it?
Thanks
Pauly

ummm.

Not be a difficult but why WOULDN’T you want that ?

How cool would it be to set up a preset with a Friedman HBE outputting to four cabs (let’s say a Marshall Basketweave, a Marshall JCM 800, a Mesa Large and a Citrus) and all four cabs responding accurately to speaker impedance ?

My only question though is might something like this require four different power amps ?

I guess I must of been vague the other day when I asked if this feature would be ported to the editor on its next revision. I don't use the front panel where my AX3 is in a studio rack mount desk.
So is it planned to have this in the next AXE-Edit?
Thanks
99.9999999% of the time the way it has worked is that, after a firmware has gone from beta to a release version, a new Axe-Edit will come along with a UI control for any missing features. The time between release and when that happens is always measured as “soon” (generally with the III it’s seemed to be the within the day).

“What about that 0.0000001% of the time,” you ask? Well, on rare occasions an Axe-Edit update has happened before the firmware release.

So, short answer made long, “yes, almost as certainly as the sun will rise” ;)

Reactions: jon
Does this selection override several parameters in the power amp section?
I believe it affects the parameters in the “Speaker” page only.

If you have Axe-Edit III open on the Speaker page, and change the “Speaker Cabinet” value under Advanced from the front panel, you’ll see the Speaker parameters changing in Axe-Edit III... I’m not seeing any values change in the power amp section when I change the cabinet selection.

If you have Axe-Edit III open on the Speaker page, and change the “Speaker Cabinet” value under Advanced from the front panel, you’ll see the Speaker parameters changing in Axe-Edit III... I’m not seeing any values change in the power amp section when I change the cabinet selection.
I wasn’t expecting that. I may be more confused now...thanks! :)

The way it works is like this:
1. The speaker impedance is defined by the various resonance parameters.
2. When you load a preset those various parameters that were saved with the preset will be loaded. IOW existing presets are not altered.
3. If you select (or reselect) an amp model a default appropriate Speaker Cabinet will be selected which will in turn load associated resonance parameters.
4. You can then select a different Speaker Cabinet which will load those associated resonance parameters.
5. At any time you can adjust the low and high frequency resonance parameters as well as the Cabinet Resonance amount.

HI,

If you connected 4 cabs to one amp, the impedance curve (presented to the amp)would be an average of the 4, rather than each cab interacting individually wouldn't it?
Thanks
Pauly
Yes, with 4 cabs connected to one amp the impedance curve the amp sees is a mix of all 4 cabs but, to be more precise, it's not the average but you'd need to sum 4 parallel impedances at each frequency
The formula should be the same as the one for resistors in parallel:

Z = 1/{(1/Z1)+(1/Z2)+(1/Z3)… +(1/Zn)}

The bottom line of this is: if the cabs have pretty different curves (iow peaks and dips are in different places) the impedance in those points would be lower than what would result from a simple average and the curve will look a lot flatter.

It sounds confusing, like there is an ir in the amp block. I installed the 11 beta but I haven't played with it since my unit is in a big rack and a little low to get to. So is it cab impedance characteristics or an actual cab built into in the amp block?

The authentic page gives you just the amp‘s controls and now THIS speaker selection parameter loads the appropriate resonance parameters in the amp block to match the cab block’s selected speaker. I love the horse power of this box but this change greatly simplifies amp-cab setup. Bravo! I have never been really satisfied with my fender twin preset until recently...fender amp/fender cab...bob’s your uncle

Cliff, could theoretically be possible to calculate the impedance curve of a cabinet just by knowing the internal dimensions of the cab, the Small-Thiele parameters of the speaker(s) and its impedance curve in free air?

The authentic page gives you just the amp‘s controls and now THIS speaker selection parameter loads the appropriate resonance parameters in the amp block to match the cab block’s selected speaker. I love the horse power of this box but this change greatly simplifies amp-cab setup. Bravo! I have never been really satisfied with my fender twin preset until recently...fender amp/fender cab...bob’s your uncle
Yeah I never bonded with the Twin model but I did yesterday for the first time. That preset I posted earlier for Leon is a Twin. IIRC I turned the Input Trim to 0.5 to simulate using the Low input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom