Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you hearing or feeling a big difference , i am away from the Axe at the moment
And was curious to what tonal changes people are experiencing
Are they subtle or pretty noticeable

Yes, it's sorta subtle, but worth it.

When I selected the 4x12 Bassuy impedance curve along with the Bassguy amp and its normal cabinet as a test earlier, it felt more 3 dimensional on my ears, if that makes any sense at all. It also seems to affect the eq in a subtle way. Some curves felt open, whilst others felt more 'pinched' and in focus in the mid-range.

The only way is to try it for yourself later and see what you think as tone's all subjective.

Yes, it's sorta subtle, but worth it.

When I selected the 4x12 Bassuy impedance curve along with the Bassguy amp and its normal cabinet as a test earlier, it felt more 3 dimensional on my ears, if that makes any sense at all. It also seems to affect the eq in a subtle way. Some curves felt open, whilst others felt more 'pinched' and in focus in the mid-range.

The only way is to try it for yourself later and see what you think as tone's all subjective.
subtle plus subtle plus subtle is HUGE!;)

Are you hearing or feeling a big difference , i am away from the Axe at the moment
Not really no, it’s super subtle. Put it this way, I play live most of the time, and in a gig scenario it won’t make a jot of difference, but it is discernible in isolation through studio monitors or headphones.

The Mesa Boogie cabs have different characteristics in tone depths and tightness. A small 4 x 12 traditional rectifier slant cab is not going to be as bassy as a 4 x 12 traditional straight cab. The over-sized or standard rectifier 4 x 12 cab, (I have a slant and straight), as they are called, has a looser bottom end than the traditional cab versions. Obviously this is due to the size of the cabs. Standards have more cubic inches than traditional cabs. I'm assuming this is the difference the AXE FX is referring to, small being slant and straight being just that.
For closed boxes:
Smaller cab
=> less volume
=> quicker to build pressure countering speaker movements on lower frequency notes, leading to a more damped low frequency response
=> slightly quicker arrival times for sounds reflecting back at the cone and influencing its movement, shifting the comb filter up a bit to affect different frequencies

Open-back cabs are a whole different ball of wax, as there is virtually no pressure built inside the box to resist cone movement, and reflected internal waves are reduced due to some of the back of the cab being open and, thus, not reflecting the sound back at the cone. The cab size does still affect the lows by varying the size of the non-inifinite baffle. Close-mic'ed, open cabs will likely not display this difference near as much as far-field mic'ed will.

subtle plus subtle plus subtle is HUGE!;)

Yes! Subtle can be huge!

That's what distinguishes a great guitar from a good one, that elusive few %.

You're right. Subtle improvements in preamp modelling, power amp modelling and cab block, would all add up and make a more marked difference, when the components are strung together. Good point.

The Mesa Boogie cabs have different characteristics in tone depths and tightness. A small 4 x 12 traditional rectifier slant cab is not going to be as bassy as a 4 x 12 traditional straight cab. The over-sized or standard rectifier 4 x 12 cab, (I have a slant and straight), as they are called, has a looser bottom end than the traditional cab versions. Obviously this is due to the size of the cabs. Standards have more cubic inches than traditional cabs. I'm assuming this is the difference the AXE FX is referring to, small being slant and straight being just that.
Yes, I get all of that I actually own a Traditional straight, and a Standard straight mesa cab, and have owned a slant in the past as well.
I only asked because in the list is the Recto Large, Recto Small, Recto Straight, Recto Slant. So to me it seemed as though the Small and the straight would be the same cab, But makes sense if one of them was actually a stiletto cab.

...“existing presets aren’t affected”... does that mean a revisit to all existing presets? or does it mean that the new changes are incorporated immediately with no further changes required?

guess im slightly confused about what i need to do to use this update... anyone who’s used it please explain the process. Thx

...“existing presets aren’t affected”... does that mean a revisit to all existing presets? or does it mean that the new changes are incorporated immediately with no further changes required?

guess im slightly confused about what i need to do to use this update... anyone who’s used it please explain the process. Thx
“Aren’t affected” usually means nothing is changed.

It means they are by default set to null cab , so if you want to hear what they sound like with this new parameter you will need to revist them and try it out.

Existing preset sounds just like before, they don't use the flat null cab but a predefined standard IR curve. The moment you change to the new IR curves in the amp block, it starts using the new measured curves instead of the old generic default curve. After playing with the new options, this is like a "feel" adjustment. The small cabs result in a tighter feel. Subtle but clear difference.

Existing preset sounds just like before, they don't use the flat null cab but a predefined standard IR curve. The moment you change to the new IR curves in the amp block, it starts using the new measured curves instead of the old generic default curve. After playing with the new options, this is like a "feel" adjustment. The small cabs result in a tighter feel. Subtle but clear difference.
Don't mean to be the correcting type, but old presets will in fact load with the Null Cabinet loaded into the speaker cabinet parameter in the advanced menu of the amp block. Which yes, is the old predefined generic curve.

It is subtle but very noticeable also. It is different enough I'll probably want to re-dial in some presets.
With a Friedman and 4x12 greenback it tightened up the low end. It sounded better to me. Game changer really.
I'm looking forward to the official release and new Axe Edit.

It is subtle but very noticeable also. It is different enough I'll probably want to re-dial in some presets.
With a Friedman and 4x12 greenback it tightened up the low end. It sounded better to me. Game changer really.
Me as well, I am looking forward to once there are more cabinet profiles loaded in, right now I am having to select profiles that are similar, but not the exact cab and speaker combo I am using. for instance the zilla 2X12 and the marshall CB with V30's.

This is more than subtle to me. Play a few minutes with the impedance on (4x12 are my favorite so far) then switch back to the null cab. Pretty drastic imo and I love it :)

Exactly. Subtle perhaps but def notifcable.

For fun make up a quick Atomica High preset using Factory 2 402 (4x12 AX GB 160 D) and Factory 2 391 (4X12 AX GB 57F) and change the Speaker Cabinet to "4x12 Brit AX". Toggle back and forth with the Null Cabinet and you will for sure hear and feel the difference.

This is huge, man !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom