Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will driving the speaker cabinet from the headphone output really work for this? We are trying to measure resonance in the cab, I would guess that the acoustic energy from the headphone out will be insufficient to excite any resonance? Are these resonances even linear in nature, or do they depend in loudness? @FractalAudio, any thoughts on that?
I would think you would need to put at least a few watts into the speaker to even begin to get reflected stuff inside the cab with enough energy by the time it got back to affect the speaker's movement and create resonances and dips in the curve, but I haven't measured one, so take however big a grain of salt you need with my supposition.... :)

No...

Old presets will show Null Cabinet until they are changed... But that they still have an impedance curve. If you select Null after the curve has been changed then they will have none.

Unless I misunderstood, the process I described is what Cliff explained in post #414 ?
Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.37.28 PM.png

Unless I misunderstood, the process I described is what Cliff explained in post #414 ?
View attachment 60128
While that is certainly possible, consider having to do that task for a few hundred (or even just a few dozen) presets, all so that your existing data did not have to continue take up a little bit of storage space in your presets and so one spot in a drop-down select list didn't need to be added.

As someone who has worked with data for many years, my prime directive says to protect and preserve that data through upgrades if at all possible. I can't imagine it would be a huge deal to store both the data for the original curve's settings (customer owned data) and the id of an entry in a table of global data holding the new impedance curves (Fractal-supplied data). Adding one more entry in a select box is also fairly trivial. Adding a button to loop through your presets and set the selected curve is also not a huge deal.
Computers are good at menial, repetitive tasks like that.

Last edited:
The difference was likely due to the fact that many of those old Plexis took the feedback off the speaker jack rather than off a transformer tap.

would lowering the speaker impedance knob be tied in to the negative feedback network in those (or any) models currently? Speaker impedance control has almost more effect on breakup characteristic than Xformer...it's powerful

The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?

I'm in favor of NOT updating existing presets. LFR is an important parameter and if resetting / changing existing presets can be avoided, it's best to do that IMO.

does that in some way coincide with Transformer Match control settings?

Yup! Output Xformer is what's connected to the speakers, the speaker resonance is what makes the Xformer hum (resonate) more or less along the speaker impedance curve...Xformer match is smaller/bigger Xformer, so a smaller Xformer I would think to be affected more by the speaker resonance...it's all tied back into itself...

maybe it wasn’t worms at all but fermented, swedish fish?

anyway, if you simply set the cabinet resonance to 0% you should be back whereyou started before FW 11, no?
No. That, in a nutshell, is many folks' issue with a forced preset update.

Am I the only one that likes having the ability to select the different curves to find the perfect shade of color that I'm looking for, be it clean, low-mid or high gain? I think it makes things much faster to dial in! I wouldn't really like them to be baked in to a specific ir or amp IMHO.

Oh yeah, it's an element of dynamic automatic equalization at the power amp, you've got all the bass and treble in the world dialed up in the tone knobs, but the output EQ response is all limited by the Xformer and the available power amp juice, so you dig in and the highs get smoothed out by the lows strongarming their way in, and the lows dynamically sag to get out of the way as the power drops, but play soft and it goes off like a flash bulb...it's ridiculous

Will driving the speaker cabinet from the headphone output really work for this? We are trying to measure resonance in the cab, I would guess that the acoustic energy from the headphone out will be insufficient to excite any resonance? Are these resonances even linear in nature, or do they depend in loudness? @FractalAudio, any thoughts on that?
Resonance is the same for all signal levels. If you pluck a guitar string lightly, it rings out with the same resonance it has when you pick more strongly.

Cliff asked if anyone had a problem with the update wiping existing old speaker impedance curve data instead of allowing the user a choice to upgrade each preset when convenient to do so and still be able to create new ones with the new curves. Seems a bit friendlier to allow opt-in vs. a 'brace yourself, I'm going in dry' sort of thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom