Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta 1

Opinions please. Will the default curve work better with the 'right' cab? So would the 4x12 AX default curve for a Marshall Amp work more authentically with a 4x12 AX IR? I know the 'just use your ears' answer but I am thinking this new improvement to the Axe FX 3 could actually deliver even more authentic tones if the curve is matched to the intended cab. It seems strange that I would want a 4x12 AX speaker curve matched to a 1x12 IR for example - even if it sounds ok. Thoughts?
I would be slightly biased toward using a 4x12 cab curve with the closest match speaker rather than a 1x12 with the right speaker, with what little info about the cabs used for the curves that there is to go on, but, ultimately, whichever sounds best is the right curve. :) Even with just a few hours invested so far, I have found a few 'mismatched' curves that really tickle the right spot. Most of the closed box, and even a few open backed cabs have new little resonance bumpies and lumpies in the mids from cab resonances that are not even considered in the old default curves.
Surprisingly, the new Hipower 4x12 curve was almost as smooth looking as the original, with just a little tweak higher on the low frequency resonance catching my eye....

Last edited:
Opinions please. Will the default curve work better with the 'right' cab? So would the 4x12 AX default curve for a Marshall Amp work more authentically with a 4x12 AX IR? I know the 'just use your ears' answer but I am thinking this new improvement to the Axe FX 3 could actually deliver even more authentic tones if the curve is matched to the intended cab. It seems strange that I would want a 4x12 AX speaker curve matched to a 1x12 IR for example - even if it sounds ok. Thoughts?
I think it’s a mistake to think in terms of the impedance curve “working with” the IR. If you’re going for “authentic,” you choose the IR that’s closest to what you consider an authentic cab, because it applies the right frequency response. You choose the impedance curve because it provides the right load to the amp.

A lot of “strange” things sound okay. Some even sound great. I’ll never abandon “sounds great” just to get closer to “authentic.”

Last edited:
A lot of “strange” (things) sound okay. Some even sound great. I’ll never abandon “sounds great” just to get closer to “authentic.”
This is the best advice anyone can get when it comes to an approach for an amp/effects modeler.

So many people get too wrapped up in authenticity that they never explore and will miss out on great tones simply because it's "wrong".
Having a digital device that sounds like an analog device is already wrong so why go backwards? :p

That's the beauty of Axe.......just try it......presets are cheap! :)

A lot of “strange” things sound okay. Some even sound great. I’ll never abandon “sounds great” just to get closer to “authentic.”

Bumping this again. I, like everyone, LOVES the options. But there is nothing 'authentic' about tone. It's either what you like, or what you don't. Can't really see artists and studio engineers going for 'authentic'...they go for unique, innovative, fit the song, fit your ear.

Bumping this again. I, like everyone, LOVES the options. But there is nothing 'authentic' about tone. It's either what you like, or what you don't. Can't really see artists and studio engineers going for 'authentic'...they go for unique, innovative, fit the song, fit your ear.
I think there's plenty that is authentic about tone. If there wasn't, all the amps and IR's in the Axe FX would be named random somethings. What about the drive models - aren't they modeled on something? And if done well could be considered as 'authentic' representations? I reckon plenty of artists and and studio engineers try and capture a reference classic tone. Yes, there are plenty that experiment and what better tool than the Axe FX to do it with. I'm just one of those players that simply loves having 200+ genuine amp models in the room so if I feel like playing a Fender Twin I can. If I can dial in a more accurate experience of the real amp then that's what I shoot for. Seems like this new firmware could take this quest a bit further.

You choose the impedance curve because it provides the right load to the amp.
Relative to the intent of the new firmware’s eureka-moment, this statement was the gem in Rex’ response. This is all a complex collection of simulations and solutions. FAS is consistently bringing these virtual systems closer to real-world functions and behaviours. We already have plenty of tools in the box, to make things sound great. But recent firmware releases are approaching “out-of-the-park-sounds-dead-on-right”.

Relative to the intent of the new firmware’s eureka-moment, this statement was the gem in Rex’ response. This is all a complex collection of simulations and solutions. FAS is consistently bringing these virtual systems closer to real-world functions and behaviours. We already have plenty of tools in the box, to make things sound great. But recent firmware releases are approaching “out-of-the-park-sounds-dead-on-right”.
I don’t 100% completely understand the new curves setting, but can flick through the different cabinet options and listen to the effect. In the end, I am using it as yet another control to shape my tone and it has some wonderful and powerful results.

I do have a question re: the Recto curves. The Recto straight visually (and audibly) has a very different curve to that of the other Recto options. Why is that?

Also, Cliff said that the Recto Small might be the traditional cab. So what is the Recto Big?

I personally prefer the Recto Straight setting for all the Mesa irs I have tried, especially those based on a traditional cab. Any chance the Straight is a traditional cab?

I think it will be cool once the functionality is there to allow people to measure and add their own curves to the unit. I just hope it doesn’t turn into a huge rush to sell products with heaps of curves though.

I don’t 100% completely understand the new curves setting, but can flick through the different cabinet options and listen to the effect. In the end, I am using it as yet another control to shape my tone and it has some wonderful and powerful results.

I do have a question re: the Recto curves. The Recto straight visually (and audibly) has a very different curve to that of the other Recto options. Why is that?

Also, Cliff said that the Recto Small might be the traditional cab. So what is the Recto Big?

I personally prefer the Recto Straight setting for all the Mesa irs I have tried, especially those based on a traditional cab. Any chance the Straight is a traditional cab?

I think it will be cool once the functionality is there to allow people to measure and add their own curves to the unit. I just hope it doesn’t turn into a huge rush to sell products with heaps of curves though.
The Recto Large is the Oversized Recto cab. It is considerably larger than the Traditional Recto cab.

I agree
Let's all remember it also depends on what you are playing with and through. A Strat will have different responses than a Les Paul, and single coil vs. HB. Then the amp and speaker, studio monitors, and/or FOH setup is going to determine the final tone. So the term authentic sounding is subject to conditions. What is great to me is we have all these tools built into the AXE FX, so we can tweak until we get the tones we like. Authentic, well that's a subjective term because we all hear different things standing in front of a rig or listening through all the different choices of headphones and InEars.

If an amp model generates a tone that is indistinguishable from the one generated by a reference amp at the same settings, it could be said to be authentic, and if an artist wants/needs tonal characteristics imparted by a specific brand/model of amplifier, authenticity may be a factor.

Last edited:
The Recto Large is the Oversized Recto cab. It is considerably larger than the Traditional Recto cab.
I own 2 of these Large, (real name Standard), cabs, and they definitely have a different tone than the Small Traditional size Rectifier cab. Traditional is more punchy with a tighter bottom end. Similar tone differences can be said for slant vs. straight cabs.

If an amp model generates a tone that is indistinguishable from the one generated by a reference amp at the same settings, it could be said to be authentic, and if an artist wants/needs a tone imparted by a specific brand/model of amp, authenticity may be a factor.
Only in the AXE itself. The final untouched tone (sound) you hear will more than likely be different than the one I hear, because of all the variables I mentioned above. I forgot to mention playing technique.

Only in the AXE itself. The final untouched tone (sound) you hear will more than likely be different than the one I hear, because of all the variables I mentioned above. I forgot to mention playing technique.

You're making a completely different point than the one in my post. Authenticity and accuracy are empirically verifiable.

If an amp model generates a tone that is indistinguishable from the one generated by a reference amp at the same settings, it could be said to be authentic, and if an artist wants/needs a tone imparted by a specific brand/model of amplifier, authenticity may be a factor.

This makes sense. Understand where the 'authentic' folks are going.

I'm just making the argument that we're well past simply aping specific tones; that we should be looking for OUR tone.

Anyway...drive on.

Just when you think, yet again, that the Axe-Fx is finally to the point where future firmware updates will only yield very minor tonal improvements, Cliff smacks you in the face with updates like versions 10 and 11. I’m loving these!

It has been my experience during long-time ownership of both the Axe-Fx II and III that resetting the amp after a firmware release sometimes has a positive impact on tone, even when the release notes don’t say it’s necessary. I experienced this enough times that I always reset the amps in my main presets after upgrading. I have no idea why, but it made a significant difference this time. If you’re experiencing any dissatisfaction, I recommend trying it.

Been playing around with different irs instead of impedance curves only and this fw update is amazing at letting you hear the distinct character of each ir, more so than I remember in the past.

My experience too, to be honest in the past I’ve struggled to hear much difference in individual IRs, between manufacturers yes but not more than that.

Not anymore, now it’s clear as day - and I actually love the good old 57, which I’ve never used much before

Back
Top Bottom