Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta 1

For me, authenticity.
I didn’t adopt new gear for better tone. I already had a boatload of amps and a heavier-than-thou pedal board loaded with classics and boutiques. I wanted (needed) a better packaging of the same. First I bought a KPA, then an Axe FX II XL+, and now an Axe FX III. I love it. The past few firmware releases have blown me away. An entire new level. I may not be able to tell the difference anymore.

I own 2 of these Large, (real name Standard), cabs, and they definitely have a different tone than the Small Traditional size Rectifier cab. Traditional is more punchy with a tighter bottom end. Similar tone differences can be said for slant vs. straight cabs.

The couple extra inches deep and tall shifts the low resonant peak down 10 or 20 Hz, plus it's got more air in it so more squash. Hey if you want to really hear a recto cab roar, drape a blanket or towel over the center post so it blocks front to back in the bottom half. It does the same thing as the Mills Acoustics baffle did, breaks up standing waves, you can turn up all the way to oblivion and the bass won't fall apart, plus the cab isn't as directional any more.

46093539941_e739ea4da7_w.jpg
images.jpg

The JTM45 with the Pig 1x4 57 IR and a 4x12 Recto impedance curve is hitting the spot for me at the moment. Authentic? No way. Awesome? Very.
That's what is so great about the Axe. Who would have ever thought, nor would it be possible to pair a 1X4 speaker cab with a Marshall? Let alone the "blasphemy" of pairing a Mesa cab with a Marshall :D

My main preset for the last several months is the Shiver Clean (high MV for edge of breakup) and using a G12H30 with a 57/160 IR combo.

The default Speaker Impedance Curve is the 4x12 Basket Weave. I think it sounds better than the pre-11.x default... But last night I played around more with different curves and I settled on the 2x12 Texas Lonestar curve.

I then spent about 2 hours just playing with different drive block settings and playing and smiling... And this was using my HD-650 headphones cuz it was 1am and everyone was sleeping. And I really never enjoy playing with headphones!

I saved my preset to an empty slot for later evaluation through my Matrix and Xitones... Fired it up today and it's glorious!

I need to spend some time leveling everything but man am I loving this firmware update and the last one.

That's what is so great about the Axe. Who would have ever thought, nor would it be possible to pair a 1X4 speaker cab with a Marshall? Let alone the "blasphemy" of pairing a Mesa cab with a Marshall :D
That's what it's all about. Yes, it can do really authentic stuff, but the true magic is in stuff like this - the stuff it can do that's impossible IRL....

Get thee hence and make some magic! :)

That's what it's all about. Yes, it can do really authentic stuff, but the true magic is in stuff like this - the stuff it can do that's impossible IRL....

They're not mutually exclusive. At its core, the impossible stuff is still based on emulations of gear and components, and those emulations are built on authenticity. I'm not proposing that everything that sounds authentic sounds great, but there's a reason tube amps and analog gear are considered the gold standard and emulated by modelers, even if certain combinations might otherwise be impossible.

Last edited:
They're not mutually exclusive. At its core, the impossible stuff is still based on emulations of gear and components, and those emulations are built on authenticity. I'm not proposing that everything that sounds authentic sounds great, but there's a reason tube amps and analog gear are considered the gold standard and emulated by modelers, even if certain combinations might otherwise be impossible.
Yup.

Gotta give that JTM45/Recto/Pignose combo a spin tomorrow after work. The little speakers often have interesting sound when mic'ed up close and can sound a lot bigger than they are. I use a 1x6 El Tiny 67 Room to add some room vibe to a whole lot of different speakers. Authentic? Not even a little. Does it help pull the amp's sound out of my monitors and into the room. Yup.... The nice thing is that it's small and doesn't have a ton of lows, so it doesn't muddy up the low end from the main speaker when mixing it in. :)

Hmmm...I wonder if the Pignose IR was shot with the cab closed or partially open. From what I've read on the subject, it really makes for a different tone when opened up in varying degrees....

Gotta give that JTM45/Recto/Pignose combo a spin tomorrow after work. The little speakers often have interesting sound when mic'ed up close and can sound a lot bigger than they are. I use a 1x6 El Tiny 67 Room to add some room vibe to a whole lot of different speakers. Authentic? Not even a little.

Well, the resulting combination might be an impossibility, but at its core, each piece in the chain is based on an authentic emulation.

Last edited:
The JTM45 with the Pig 1x4 57 IR and a 4x12 Recto impedance curve is hitting the spot for me at the moment. Authentic? No way. Awesome? Very.
I just tried it. Man, that impedance curve really offsets the timid low end an the Pig. Which of the Recto curves are you using?

A real (authentic) Pignose also sounded awesome. Bought mine in Adelaide, back in the day.

Is it possible to tweak the Cabinet Resonance in a real amp or is it virtual only?

make a bigger or smaller box...Zilla cabs basically did that, make the box bigger, it lowers the acoustic resonance point, like a bigger coke bottle. The speaker has its own resonance point though, separate from the cab, when you tap on the cone you get a pronounced tone. The speaker page is kind of combining the two to let you tweak both...the acoustic properties affect the speaker resonance curve as the cabinet starts humming, that's what they measured. Before it was just the speaker itself. I want to know why every single 1x12 sounds amazing, crazy clear tight lows and strong mids and bright highs, but all the 4x12s you have to search for a needle in a haystack for the right one. It's got to be the phase cancelation from the other speakers huh

My guess is Cliff is collecting Impedance curves to include before posting it. 11 beta 1 is probably pretty much the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom