Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 10.02

For those who understand what Cliff wrote and have a more technical brain than me...

Does this mean if you paired the Supertweed with, say a 1960A or Bogner, you'd select the impedance data for that cabinet?
Do what sounds best is always the rule that trumps all others.

But yes, you could use that Bogner cabinet curve as a starting point if it existed.

if you paired the Supertweed with, say a 1960A or Bogner, you'd select the impedance data for that cabinet?

yeah, select that cab type of whatever IR you're using, then the power amp would see the impedance curve of that cabinet type and match up with the resonances of the IR of the same type. boy I can't wait to hear what this does :)

Do what sounds best is always the rule that trumps all others.

But yes, you could use that Bogner cabinet curve as a starting point if it existed.

Thanks.
You also answered another question I had... can you deviate from the normal/traditional choice based solely on using your ears?
Currently in choosing cabs, sometimes I go with the one the amp belongs with, other times I may make an unusual choice based on how it sounds if I want to spend more time on a preset and experiment a bit.

Thanks.
You also answered another question I had... can you deviate from the normal/traditional choice based solely on using your ears?
Currently in choosing cabs, sometimes I go with the one the amp belongs with, other times I may make an unusual choice based on how it sounds if I want to spend more time on a preset and experiment a bit.

There are no rules, if it sounds good, it IS good!

The axe is SUCH a blessing for such experimentation! No heavy gear to move, no time wasted trying to get the 'perfect' mic position, no soldering needed, no need for expensive tube adapters, output transformers, no worry of blowing it up if you wire something wrong, no need for knowledge of amp design or even pedal order!

I turn a knob and it changes something-if it sounds good, then it IS good!

Thanks.
Everyone has a tone they call their own or an idea of what a tone is supposed to sound like - to them; the tone-in-your-head. In my experience, it doesn't always happen using the "correct" cab with a particular amp. We do owe it to ourselves though, especially when most of us have only dreamed of playing through most of the amps in the Axe, to try an amp with the "correct" cab to see what it's intended tone sounds like. It was eye-opening how different most of them sound on their own compared to recordings of the same setup.

A lot depends upon how you're using the Axe. Playing at home with or without backing tracks, jamming with friends, weekend gig-warrior, or full on professional gigging and recording. This has more to do with IR selection than anything I've encountered. Personally, I don't prefer Greenback paired with Brit flavored amps when played alone (flog me later), but put them in a mix and they're perfect. Others use Greenbacks for any amp they choose, it's their favorite speaker.

That's the beauty of being guitar players and the Axe specifically; we're all individuals and have our own taste. No right or wrong choices. Doesn't mean that we will all agree that a particular tone is 'good'. All that matters is that you like it, gives you that warm fuzzy feeling and inspires you to play.

I had a question there was mention of it in another thread i think it was
“Cant hear the difference in power tubes

Cliff you mentioned toying with a idea
But the concern was it would break presets that the user didnt have defaults as tube tube

I saw a few comments about perhaps
Having a switch like an Automatch

I thought that was and interesting discussion
For example a Bogner Uber defaults
To 34s. But if someone wanted to change it to like an Uberjet w KT88
It would be cool to select and click automatch and have the software pull up the defaults for the new selected tube .

I am not sure if this would make a noticeable enough tone or feel
Difference to be worth the time and effort but i am curious

This is what I've been working on:

Firmware 11.0 introduces our new high-order speaker impedance modeling. We've curated the impedance data from nearly 50 cabinets. You'll now be able to select the impedance curve to use with an amp model (selecting an amp model loads the most appropriate curve for that model).

Why is this important? When you look at speaker impedance curves they look pretty simple. However that data is obtained when the speaker is mounted on an infinite baffle. As soon as you mount the speaker in a cabinet that impedance data changes, sometimes quite radically. The modes of the cabinet introduce significant peaks and dips in the impedance due to the back EMF created. Some of the cabs we measured have deviations from the published curves by 4-5 dB or more.

To understand why this happens the impedance of a speaker is dependent upon the acoustic load. In an infinite baffle the load is constant. Put the speaker in a box and the load is greater at some frequencies and lower at others because the sound waves bounce off the walls and constructively or destructively interfere with the motion of the speaker. For example, consider the sound emanating from the speaker and bouncing off the back wall of the cabinet. When the sound wave reaches the speaker it will either aid or oppose the motion of the speaker. If it aids the motion then the impedance will be lower and vice-versa.

I hope to have a beta this weekend.
Man I have been preaching the importance of this aspect of the whole amp/speaker system for a long time when talking tone with other digital fans. And have always been so thankful the FAS products unlike any other modeling product actually allows the user to tune it, it is one of those things where in my mind FAS is just so clearly the cutting edge tech... This sounds like a fully next level version of this. Color me stoked.

Thanks.
I frequently start with a cab IR I know I like, and see what amps sound good through it.

For example, that OH Bogner 4x10 with Weber Blue Pups sounds amazing with the Hipower Jumped through it, as does my RedWirez Weber Blue Dog. The more 'Voxy' speaker tames the low end a little. Sits great in a mix....

I frequently start with a cab IR I know I like, and see what amps sound good through it.

For example, that OH Bogner 4x10 with Weber Blue Pups sounds amazing with the Hipower Jumped through it, as does my RedWirez Weber Blue Dog. The more 'Voxy' speaker tames the low end a little. Sits great in a mix....

That' really cool Something I should try sometime!
The opposite way... choosing a cab first. I always choose the amp first.
Might lead to some great results.

I've got a few hours logged on the new firmware now. At first I wasn't sure if it was the firmware or the new Collings City Limits I was using but it was some of the most fun I've had playing in a while. So this morning I put the Collings away and got out my trusty, beat-up Suhr Modern and used that. Still smiling...

Back
Top Bottom