Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 10.02

Are the preamps already not damned AMAZING enough?!?!? :eek:
The power amp modeling is truly amazing! I personally feel like there is something in the bass/lower mids response of the preamps that is not entirely on par with a tube preamp. The best way I can describe it is that the tube preamp responds more precisely - like there is more roundness to the note and that the character of the unamplified note is better preserved. (I compared the preamp signals of my JVM and the Axe through a power amp model in the Axe). It's not really audible, more of feel thing, especially when going through the power amp + cab setting. I was hoping that the power amp FASPICE magic can be applied to the preamp triode models (I might of course be mistaken and it already is).

1573238987880.png

While we wait for some possible Italian flavored goodness from Cliff I thought I would share a funny pic from my last gig. My soundman obviously knows I run direct stereo but the opening band I don't think knew. Someone stuck a mic on my KRANK cab where there isn't a speaker. I run the CLR's behind me and a split cab stereo for the people in front who might not hear the P.A. I also use ported in ears so I'm getting sound all over the place!

This is what I've been working on:

Firmware 11.0 introduces our new high-order speaker impedance modeling. We've curated the impedance data from nearly 50 cabinets. You'll now be able to select the impedance curve to use with an amp model (selecting an amp model loads the most appropriate curve for that model).

Why is this important? When you look at speaker impedance curves they look pretty simple. However that data is obtained when the speaker is mounted on an infinite baffle. As soon as you mount the speaker in a cabinet that impedance data changes, sometimes quite radically. The modes of the cabinet introduce significant peaks and dips in the impedance due to the back EMF created. Some of the cabs we measured have deviations from the published curves by 4-5 dB or more.

To understand why this happens the impedance of a speaker is dependent upon the acoustic load. In an infinite baffle the load is constant. Put the speaker in a box and the load is greater at some frequencies and lower at others because the sound waves bounce off the walls and constructively or destructively interfere with the motion of the speaker. For example, consider the sound emanating from the speaker and bouncing off the back wall of the cabinet. When the sound wave reaches the speaker it will either aid or oppose the motion of the speaker. If it aids the motion then the impedance will be lower and vice-versa.

I hope to have a beta this weekend.

Firmware 11.0 introduces our new high-order speaker impedance modeling. We've curated the impedance data from nearly 50 cabinets. You'll now be able to select the impedance curve to use with an amp model (selecting an amp model loads the most appropriate curve for that model).

Why is this important? When you look at speaker impedance curves they look pretty simple. However that data is obtained when the speaker is mounted on an infinite baffle. As soon as you mount the speaker in a cabinet that impedance data changes, sometimes quite radically. The modes of the cabinet introduce significant peaks and dips in the impedance due to the back EMF created. Some of the cabs we measured have deviations from the published curves by 4-5 dB or more.

To understand why this happens the impedance of a speaker is dependent upon the acoustic load. In an infinite baffle the load is constant. Put the speaker in a box and the load is greater at some frequencies and lower at others because the sound waves bounce off the walls and constructively or destructively interfere with the motion of the speaker. For example, consider the sound emanating from the speaker and bouncing off the back wall of the cabinet. When the sound wave reaches the speaker it will either aid or oppose the motion of the speaker. If it aids the motion then the impedance will be lower and vice-versa.

Kudos to @shatteredsquare for pointing you in the right direction :tearsofjoy:

Does this mean old presets will sound different?

This seems like it's a step towards implementing a long standing wish to correlate cabs to amp models in the unit in some more automatic way?

In any case, I greatly appreciate it when you do all the hard thinking and I just have to flip between a couple of choices to figure out what I think sounds best instead of having infinite degrees of freedom to craft a curve for something I barely understand let alone can connect with great accuracy to sound and feel

Back
Top Bottom