Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 10.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the expected behavior for a silicon to germanium diode swap in the drive block?
IRL, germanium diodes have a somewhat lower knee voltage than silicon (0.3V vs. 0.7V, IIRC), so I am not at all surprised that the clipping diode set is dropping the output a few dB....

I have a Blues OD in a scene that I swapped the stock silicon 1N4148 diodes with the new germanium comrade D9Es and I just couldn't seem to get enough level after the swap. I turned the drive and level all the way up, and it still wasn't driving like it would with the original silicon diodes. For kicks, I created a quick scene with just input, drive, and output blocks to test the relative levels. With the original diodes, I was peaking out at around -3 dB at the output; with the germaniums, I was peaking at around -15 dB (for a 12 dB difference, which is a fairly substantial drop). Is the expected behavior for a silicon to germanium diode swap in the drive block?
Yes. The forward voltage of a germanium diode is much less than silicon. In some types of circuits that voltage is too low to be of practical use. That's why a Bluesbreaker pedal has TWO silicon diodes in series. Otherwise the output voltage is too low.

Try increasing the Attack time in the Input block. The one thing in common between the presets doing this is that. I believe this is due to a change I made to reduce CPU usage.
I used different preset with maximum attack time , same situation is happened. i used scene no 2.
usually with hard picking attack happened.
gain is reach maximum level and pop situation happen.

Attachments

• Church4101919.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
HOLY MOTHALUVIN SHHIITBALLLZ (sorry if I just hurt your ears)
has anybody ever had so much fun playing guitar (without being on a stage with thousands of adoring fan persons beaming atcha) than with this box o magic firmware?

This firmware is killer. I'm vibing with guitars I don't usually play because they sound so great through this box. I have a strat with the Shaw V-Mods that tends towards the shrill side, and it has some major mojo now. I pulled out my SG with the '57/57+, played some Tesla, and lost 30 minutes. Normally I have to work through a bunch of cabs before I find something I like, and even then, I'm usually combining them trying to find the right flavor. Somehow all the cabs sound so much better too, so I'm having no trouble finding ones I like. I can't wait to play live and hear it with the band (anyone got a recording of this version with the band yet?). Thank you @FractalAudio and well done!

I used different preset with maximum attack time , same situation is happened. i used scene no 2.
usually with hard picking attack happened.
gain is reach maximum level and pop situation happen.
He fixed it for the next release. In the meantime you can remove any drive blocks or lower the input A/D level until it doesn't pop. I had my input A/D set to 1% from 4.5%.

Last edited:
Wow. Many models work for me now without touching advanced parameters. That's new to me. I was used to always tweak some advanced parameters to get it more amp like and in my face. Now many models sound like I want them to right from the start.
And most of the cabs work now and only a few don"t. It's the other way round then before.
That's odd. Are my ears tired or is this FW such a gamechanger?

Wow. Many models work for me now without touching advanced parameters. That's new to me. I was used to always tweak some advanced parameters to get it more amp like and in my face. Now many models sound like I want them to right from the start.
And most of the cabs work now and only a few don"t. It's the other way round then before.
That's odd. Are my ears tired or is this FW such a gamechanger?
Gamechanger

The Bias actually makes a pretty big difference if you start playing around
W it you can get a colder more focused feel or turn it up and the amp
Will feel and sound like it running hot and on the verge of meltdown
Works great on a plexi

Bias, Gain enhancer , power tube hardness. And power tube type
Are all helpful and can make audible enhancements

I just spent 3 hours on my Fender, Marshall, Vox, and other patches...I can now understand other's excitement over this release. I believe Mr. Chase and Company have cracked the secret code for digital amp/effect technology! Thanks to all that have contributed to this wonderful machine.

I've had my Vol#1 A/D set to 0% since owning it. I haven't had any issues of not getting enough drive. But, I'm a relative newbie to FAS still(owned AFX3 for 3 months). Is this wrong? what am I missing?

I just spent 3 hours on my Fender, Marshall, Vox, and other patches...I can now understand other's excitement over this release. I believe Mr. Chase and Company have cracked the secret code for digital amp/effect technology! Thanks to all that have contributed to this wonderful machine.

Agreed but the most amazing part
He will think of something else
If he is not already maybe it will be
A preamp section overhaul
Or the PI or cab block

Thats the beauty of it you never know
Where its going to end up

Also I see people are having issues with having this set this high when using drive blocks. Should i keep it lower until the next FW fixes it?

I honestly never noticed. Does too low present potential noise issues on the front side of the signal? Sorry, now that I'm getting schooled I WANT to learn!
Thanks

I honestly never noticed. Does too low present potential noise issues on the front side of the signal? Sorry, now that I'm getting schooled I WANT to learn!
Thanks
You probably won't notice any change in noise. But you will lose some gain. Of you ever change it, you'll have to adjust gain in all your presets to keep them sounding the same. But if you dial in your tones with it set to anywhere between 10% and 90%, you're free to adjust anywhere in that range without affecting gain.

If you really want to get schooled on the subject, read up on it in the manual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom