Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 1.16 Beta

Not a nuance at all. Axe Edit II only works with the Axe FX II's, Axe Edit III only works with the Axe FX III's.
Ya - I'm up on that part - but has the architecture changed aomehow such that AxeEdit3 for Axe3 does more processing on the Axefx side than on the computer side compared to Axe Edit2 for Axe2.

Last edited:
Ya - I'm up on part - but has the architecture changed aomehow such that AxeEdit3 for Axe3 does more processing on the Axefx side than on the computer side compared to Axe Edit2 for Axe2.
They're pretty much the same model. The editor is the client and the Axe Fx is the server in a client/server model.

If the server has a problem the client can be affected.

Hi,
Sorry to say - I'm getting the same performance issues - example; double click on a block to enable/disable - takes like 5 seconds for a change to display. Before this update performance was good.
Windows 7/64
Thanks
Pauly

Ya my axe edit ran lightning quick, has slowed to a crawl. Mac Sierra here.

Even though I got 1.16 Beta 1 installed no problems, it was un-uesable in conjunction with Axe Edit 9.21.

Followed Cliff's emergency procedure posted above [ super easy ] and rolled back to 1.15 ...... 1.15 and Axe Edit 9.21 work perfectly and smoothly.

HTH.

Ben
Win 10 x64 Pro with all latest updates / HP core i7 Envy Laptop

I toyed with the idea of having FRFR on the left and SS on the right but figured it would confuse people too much.

But it could just be a third output mode... I think that would totally make sense.

I understand that things are busy atm, however when there might be time to revisit this functionality, I would fully support a “both” option.

Thanks again for the constant progress!

Except that the option affects the simulation of the amp block and the way the power amp and speaker parameters of the model interact with one another... I doubt the output (or any other) blocks are aware of the specific number crunching that the amp (or any other) blocks are doing, only the digital audio stream they receive at their input as a result of the operations that came before...
I dunno...but speaker drive and speaker compression seem only for the speaker, right? And lo/hi res freq is for the amp, right? the problem with amp block is the wiki documentation is missing all kinds of information...don’t know why...it’s the most important block in this machine.

by “info” I’m referring to the block diagram only....

I dunno...but speaker drive and speaker compression seem only for the speaker, right?
Those parameters determine how the virtual speaker interacts with the virtual power amp, that's why they're part of the amp block.

The lf/hf resonance lets you tune the frequency at which the virtual power amp output increases due to the resonance load provided by the speakers.

I suspect too detailed of a block diagram might give away some IP secrets that FAS would probably rather not share with the world at large ;)

Hi

Just tried to revert back to 1.15 - Failed with a 'No response received' message.
Bugger!

Any ideas would be welcomed as it's sort'a unusable at the moment. Don\t get me wrong... I can play, just cannot edit sounds or change presets without big delays.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi,
Sorry to say - I'm getting the same performance issues - example; double click on a block to enable/disable - takes like 5 seconds for a change to display. Before this update performance was good.
Windows 7/64
Thanks
Pauly

Here's something new -
Tried to downgrade the firmware to 1.15 - Failed.
While the AXE FX Screen was still displaying the 'Updating DSP Firmware' message, started AXEDIT, and it's working fine! Of course I cannot see anything on the units screen except the message, but changing presets and parameters in Axedit is working fine.
Don't know if that helps but it certainly makes it usable again.

[edit] Just restoring 1.15 using the emergency procedure Cliff helpfully mentioned in post #71 of this thread. Thanks Cliff.

[Edit 2] As I was using the emergency procedure to reload 1.15, I went about some maintenance tasks on a drumkit while the firware was loading. Ten minutes later, I returned to the Axe FX to see a BIG RED LINE (Red equals bad right?.. real bad!) where the (pseudo) progress bar was, with an 'Update successful, please power cycle the unit' message.
Suggestion - Change the line colour from red to green when it's successful - my heart will be better for it!

Thanks
Pauly

Hi

Just tried to revert back to 1.15 - Failed with a 'No response received' message.
Bugger!

Any ideas would be welcomed as it's sort'a unusable at the moment. Don\t get me wrong... I can play, just cannot edit sounds or change presets without big delays.
Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
again, i stated only the amp block diagram...and we are discussing speaker parameters.
this may be less of a wiki issue as opposed to the manual where you copied the info from, right?
How deep do you want the block diagram to go? If it were much deeper, it would be a schematic.

How deep do you want the block diagram to go? If it were much deeper, it would be a schematic.
Well, I certainly understand the need for fractal to maintain their intellectual property and I support it. But I think sometimes that the ability to manage this speaker “entanglement” cleanly might afford the capability to use one amp and feed 2 outputs, one to foh and one to typical ss amp/cab combo which is common. Sometimes I wonder if this would be good for a product like the axe8 that supports one amp. I also think about the grid and how it is only signal that is being passed from block to block? ...Don’t know if that is 100% accurate...reason being if there were 2 outputs on the amp block that would solve it, but it might destroy precedence and the grid design. Having said all this, the amp block is really cool! :)

p.s. noticed @FreeMind stated this too!

Last edited:
One way around needing 2 amp block outputs might be an “amp speaker block”, whereby the amp block would bypass the speaker configs in itself and use the configs in the “amp speaker block” which is free standing like an input block...getting its input from the associated amp block. But anything attached to the amp block output still gets the processing of the amp block’s speaker configs. Then the grid design doesn’t need changing! And it wouldn’t change any of the presets already designed and out there as well.

Last edited:
Just got back from some shows away and the new features in the release notes have me super pumped. Looking forward to trying the next available beta; until then.

14658107.jpg

Well, I certainly understand the need for fractal to maintain their intellectual property and I support it. But I think sometimes that the ability to manage this speaker “entanglement” cleanly might afford the capability to use one amp and feed 2 outputs, one to foh and one to typical ss amp/cab combo which is common. Sometimes I wonder if this would be good for a product like the axe8 that supports one amp. I also think about the grid and how it is only signal that is being passed from block to block? ...Don’t know if that is 100% accurate...reason being if there were 2 outputs on the amp block that would solve it, but it might destroy precedence and the grid design. Having said all this, the amp block is really cool! :)

p.s. noticed @FreeMind stated this too!
All that has nothing to do with your original complaint about the wiki :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom