Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 1.09 Public Beta

What’s cool is the reverb already had some nice enhancements over the II, and now, after just having been out a few months, the reverb is already taking it up another notch.

The III is already a world class device, but man, just think about what a monster this thing is going to be in like 2019/20, after it has had many more rounds of updates...

The II on firmware 1, vs. say firmware 14, vs q10 was pretty night and day, so given we are just one fw1 and it already sounds so great is exciting.

That is part of the value for me in FAS gear. You pay for the great sounding product, totally usable today, but you also get a ticket for this run ride of development refinements and new features. Granted, it can become a bit, umm “addictive”, checking the forum daily for news etc, but overall still is pretty fun watch Cliff’s genius unfold update after update.

Awesome! Hope your R&R is coming along well, too, Cliff.

Only thing I’m really waiting on now is bidirectional MIDI. Global blocks are back, baby!

Ok, so tried to search through the forums to figure out this global block stuff. Since they aren't on my AX8 looking for a quick primer - linking vs loading, etc..?

Just killer.

And funny to me that in the Fractal Community this is a .09 update. I know many companies where this would be 2.0.

The input boost, level and type on the amp is a great feature. Previously, I'd put a filter block in front of the amp at 12db. This will save the block and give me flexibility as to type and level. Fantastic!

Question - Is the amp boost foot switchable? Because I had the filter block, I would set that as a switch on the MFC. I guess I could accomplish the same with an external controller?

MM

Wow, the new smart EMI filtering in the input noise gate block is amazing!

Before this update I had to change my guitar’s orientation in my studio room depending on much noise I was willing to tolerate. Now, sweet silence lol.

Ok, so tried to search through the forums to figure out this global block stuff. Since they aren't on my AX8 looking for a quick primer - linking vs loading, etc..?
Linking makes the block BE the global block. That is, it loads the settings from what is saved for that global block and is then linked to it.

Loading is just loading the settings from the global block.

The way global blocks work is that any time you change the global block and save it in ANY preset containing that global block, all other presets that use that same global block will have the same settings.

Global block settings are not stored in the preset, they are stored in the system settings. The presets just "point" to those settings.

So, big tip for those who plan to use them with no prior experience: make sure you back up System along with your presets when you back up. If you have to fully restore your system, you won't be happy if you only have a backup of presets.

I would recommend checking out the Axe Fx II manual until the Axe Fx III manual is updated (assuming it's not). Obviously, keep in mind the release notes as you read it because some things may be different. For example, the II has 10 instances per block where the III has 8.

Loving it! Great new features. Pardon my ignorance but what are the Monkey Ir's based on? I looked around and didn't see any info. Surely its not for Gorilla?!?!

Global block settings are not stored in the preset, they are stored in the system settings. The presets just "point" to those settings.

This may be a stupid question, but is one way "faster" when switching presets? For example, if I have a slight drop when switching presets that use the same Reverb, Delay, and Chorus, will the retrieval of this info from the System Settings be quicker, and make for less of a drop than if they'd been stored in the Preset? No difference?

Thanks to the Axe-Edit III team, these two features in thew new 0.6.2 beta are a great addition:

* Added the ability to change a block's channel in all scenes. To use, select a block in the grid, open the top-level Block menu, navigate to the "All Scenes" submenu, and choose "Set to A", "Set to B", "Set to C", or "Set to D".
* Added the ability to change a block's bypass-state in all scenes. To use, select a block in the grid, open the top-level Block menu, navigate to the "All Scenes" submenu, and choose "Bypass" or "Engage".

... and thanks to Cliff for all these firmware goodies. The noise reduction on the input block is fantastic, and the updates to the reverb algorithms sound even more awesomer.

This may be a stupid question, but is one way "faster" when switching presets? For example, if I have a slight drop when switching presets that use the same Reverb, Delay, and Chorus, will the retrieval of this info from the System Settings be quicker, and make for less of a drop than if they'd been stored in the Preset? No difference?
It’s a mute due to potential setting changes to prevent pops and clicks from sudden parameter changes. A preset doesn’t “know” if the next preset has the same blocks and settings - you could jump to any preset, how could it predict? So i’m pretty sure preset logic is to always mute for that brief moment to prevent the unwanted noise. It wouldn’t know if Globals are used in the next preset either, so it’s probably the exact same timing/mute.

"Fixed wrong Preamp Bias value in Plexi 2204 model."

What's the correct value so I can change the value on Axe FX II? That amp is amazing.

As the guy who kicked off the noise thread and wishlist request for EMI noise filtering, I am stoked to see the noise gate improvement. I think this is going to benefit a lot of players and likely reduce some spurious support tickets.

Thanks @FractalAudio and team.

Back
Top Bottom