Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 1.09 Public Beta

This may be a stupid question, but is one way "faster" when switching presets? For example, if I have a slight drop when switching presets that use the same Reverb, Delay, and Chorus, will the retrieval of this info from the System Settings be quicker, and make for less of a drop than if they'd been stored in the Preset? No difference?
As far as I know there is no difference.

The benefit of global blocks is to prevent duplicated updates to multiple presets in the case where you always use the same settings in a block.

For example, on the Axe Fx II I like to create presets based on a "template".

It's a sort of pedal platform template where almost everything is identical except the Amp block and the drive blocks.

So, my template uses global blocks for: Compressor, Wah, Whammy, Cab, Chorus and Delay.

If I did the template without global blocks, and decided today that I really like the Deluxe Mind Guy better than a Tape Delay I would need to make the same edits in every preset.

With global blocks, I can load up ANY of those presets, make the edits once and save. All of my presets are now updated.

Depending on how you use the Axe Fx you may or may not find any benefit.

I believe I've found a small bug. Anytime I change the preset tempo and save the preset, it freezes the AxeFx unit. Happens from either axe-edit or from the front panel without axe-edit. This seems to only happen on presets with global blocks linked.

Edit: Unlinked the global blocks and it still happens. Will investigate further.

Edit 2: The Rotary Block is causing it. Removing it from the preset resolved.

Last edited:
Linking makes the block BE the global block. That is, it loads the settings from what is saved for that global block and is then linked to it.

Loading is just loading the settings from the global block.

The way global blocks work is that any time you change the global block and save it in ANY preset containing that global block, all other presets that use that same global block will have the same settings.

Global block settings are not stored in the preset, they are stored in the system settings. The presets just "point" to those settings.

So, big tip for those who plan to use them with no prior experience: make sure you back up System along with your presets when you back up. If you have to fully restore your system, you won't be happy if you only have a backup of presets.

I would recommend checking out the Axe Fx II manual until the Axe Fx III manual is updated (assuming it's not). Obviously, keep in mind the release notes as you read it because some things may be different. For example, the II has 10 instances per block where the III has 8.
Thanks for this - very helpful. Didn't think to check the II user Manuel.

Guys, check out the new Reverbs. Killer. Try this:

Pull up the Band Commander factory preset. It's got a Small Cathedral reverb connected in series. Now crank up the reverb Mix — all the way up to 100%. Yes. Peg it. No dry signal at all. For extra credit, do it with a the neck pickup on a Strat.

Sounds exactly like someone playing a vintage Fender at the other end of a long tunnel. The clarity. That wash. Just... ooh!

Which Reverbs are considered new? Have they all been updated?

I am really blown away by this firmware update. It sounds incredible to me. Nice work everyone at Fractal, thank you for all your hard work on these updates.

As the guy who kicked off the noise thread and wishlist request for EMI noise filtering, I am stoked to see the noise gate improvement. I think this is going to benefit a lot of players and likely reduce some spurious support tickets.

Thanks @FractalAudio and team.
Yes!!! Although I did manage to fix my EMI noise problems with the Hush, is is still a hassle since you can't save your settings. I end up adjusting knobs on the Hush every time I change a preset. I am in Europe this week, but I am dying to see how good this works. Is this on the gate block, or the input block only? I am asking because with the Hush pedal I use it on input as well as in the FX loop to get rid of hiss.

Someone posted to switch to 60hz from 50 in this update, does it matter or make a difference? I tried it and didn't notice a change in anything. Its for line noise?

Someone posted to switch to 60hz from 50 in this update, does it matter or make a difference? I tried it and didn't notice a change in anything. Its for line noise?
It makes a difference. How much difference it makes depends on your individual situation.

It's not for power-line noise. It's for interference picked up by your guitar.

Last edited:
I just completed my first firmware update. Being a relative newb, I'm not sure what the exact terminology is but ….. I think the Fractal folks used the interweb to reach into my Axumafex to drizzle secret sauce up in there. This thing sounds AMAZING !!! Thanks FAS !!

...I spend one measly day with the family ; in attempt to be a "good Dad" , and miss an update like this ?!
Wow. Big one............. Cue the "That's what she said" clip.

Thanks FAS - Can't wait.

Added “Effect Bypass Mode” to MIDI menu. When set to “Value” the bypass state of an effect assigned to a CC is controlled by the CC value. When set to “Toggle” the bypass state toggles whenever the CC message is received, regardless of the value.
Big disadvantage of this new mode is, that the footswitch doesn't "know" the current state of an effect. So you cannot light an LED accordingly.

Added Boost Type and Boost Level to Amp block. There are seven boost types: Neutral, T808, T808 Mod, Super OD, Full OD, AC Boost and Shimmer. All boosts act as “clean boosts” replicating the oft-used “Drive on 0, adjust Level as desired” boost technique. The boost allows boosting the amp block without requiring a separate Drive block. The Boost Level parameter controls the amount of boost.

For those of us who are NOT Axe Fx III wizards for the new boost to work, you have to turn the Input Boost on the Basic page first and then go to the Preamp page where the new Input Boost parameter now lives.

As someone who is relearning the Fractal System, this took me quite a bit of time to figure out. Perhaps a quick write up on how to actually use these updated parameters would be useful. Or maybe putting the Input Boost right next to the switch that controls it would make it more intuitive?

For those of us who are NOT Axe Fx III wizards for the new boost to work, you have to turn the Input Boost on the Basic page first and then go to the Preamp page where the new Input Boost parameter now lives.

As someone who is relearning the Fractal System, this took me quite a bit of time to figure out. Perhaps a quick write up on how to actually use these updated parameters would be useful. Or maybe putting the Input Boost right next to the switch that controls it would make it more intuitive?
They are together on the hardware. They might be moved together in future versions of Edit - it’s still a beta version.

I made a video showing exactly that and other major changes in 1.09: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-public-beta-major-new-features-demod.139310/

That's why I didn't hear a difference when I tried this new feature!

Back
Top Bottom