Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.08

I just upgraded this morning.

I don't know if it's fresh ears, placebo, or it really got a lot better, but I'm hearing a really great high end chime that I was having a hard time getting before. The pushed mid gain stuff like the Bassmans and ACs sound great with my Strat this morning.

If this is placebo, then keep it coming. 👍🏼

Must try this. What settings are you guys using?

The key to me is to get the pedal darker for neck pickup tones, and brighter for bridge ones; it’s sweeping the mods where if they get too high, the neck starts not to sound natural, so I like it darker for that. Then I dial the Plexi by ear until I have nothing but midrange snarl in the bridge; tons of character, maybe a little too much. :) Next I dial up the Speaker Compression to add a little weight and dimension, then I use the Amp Block Output EQ to lower the low mids for clarity, but I balance that by also lowering 2 and 4k so the pick attack doesn’t sound obnoxious. A boost at 1k adds back character to taste. I’ll mildly boost the remaining bands to taste.

These are just starting points for me that can really vary, often that’s where I land. That particular IR though is my absolute favorite. I found out it was shot by MIKKO at ML Sound Labs and released in 2015 in collaboration with Fractal. I feel like that IR is special, because I don’t perceive any reflections from the room in that IR, which I always try to remove in other IRs with length and smoothing haha.

That particular IR though is my absolute favorite. I found out it was shot by MIKKO at ML Sound Labs and released in 2015 in collaboration with Fractal. I feel like that IR is special, because I don’t perceive any reflections from the room in that IR, which I always try to remove in other IRs with length and smoothing haha.
Which IR?
(Yes, I’m too lazy to fire up the Axe and look at the preset. Also, I haven’t updated my factory presets, like ever.)

I just upgraded this morning.

I don't know if it's fresh ears, placebo, or it really got a lot better, but I'm hearing a really great high end chime that I was having a hard time getting before. The pushed mid gain stuff like the Bassmans and ACs sound great with my Strat this morning.

If this is placebo, then keep it coming. 👍🏼
It’s odd indeed, I have noticed zero difference between this and the previous FW. Not a thing! But if everyone is saying it’s better, then I’ll gladly take it!

Thanks for this update, Cliff!

I recently noticed that there was a lot of lower bass (below 100) that I couldn't dial out with amp EQ, even putting the bass all the way to 0. It was like the amp EQ controlled higher bass (100-200) and there was a lower bass that was untouchable. I was having to use high pass in the cab to tame the lows.
I just tested it out with the new firmware and that untouchable bass is gone now. I don't need the high pass anymore and can use the bass knob on the amp. I'm a happy camper.

Have been discussing using rocco pezzins "eddie" preset in another thread. Noticed that on scene one the bass was kinda flubby sounding. Not a horrible sound, but after this update the bass is very noticeably more focused and defined. Thanks again Cliff!

Wow, pretty significant change and improvement to my ear (5153s). I've been struggling trying to strike a balance with the bass/depth/lo cuts and not end up with high notes sounding thin. This update really improved things

Back
Top Bottom