Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.06 Public Beta

I just watched Cooper Carters video describing and illustrating the Set List function and can see what all of the buzz it about regarding the new feature.

One of my takeaways from this feature is that you can now think about presets as a collection of global 'assets' and/or 'modules' to be drawn from and then assembled on demand instead of monolithic, stand alone entities. Kind of like programming libraries that are linked at run-time as needed instead of compiled into a single instance.

Very interesting...definitely a new way to think and manage the systems. Very cool....

Last edited:
One of my takeaways from this feature is that you can now think about presets as a collection of global 'assets' and/or 'modules' to be drawn from and then assembled on demand instead of monolithic, stand alone entities. Kind of like programming libraries that are linked at run-time as needed instead of compiled into a single instance.
Nice catch! I hadn't thought of that aspect of it but it's a good way to look at the presets and scenes.

Ha ha yeah I had to go back and read the release info had a couple presets with the OT way hot, total fart box. Had been in hold pattern since 19.02 and this update sure does not disappoint.

Honestly I was just "scrub" of any FC issue, was holding off till I didn't read any more about them.

Last edited:
Another practical use of the new feature: Auditioning and selecting scenes.

I was searching for the right "clean" tone, I narrowed down my selection to 4 clean tones within different presets. So I made a Song with all the cleans to switch faster between them and chose the right one.

The more I use this feature, the more I love it!
This is a really cool idea! I’m trying to sort out something similar and this will make it so much easier.

I trigger all my tempo/preset/scene changes via a laptop transmitting MIDI, but I still think the new Setlist addition is amazing. I wish organizing song orders in Reaper was as modular + streamlined!

Fixed Amp block output transformer turns ratio being incorrectly calculated.
Interested in hearing how big of an impact this will have on my 19.05 tones. Since I have a show coming up, I've been waiting for the final release before updating.

I think one of the biggest things for me is now I dont have to worry about maxing out a kitchen sink preset - can do multiple presets and have song feature pull what you need. For instance, i compromise a bit on my piezo signal - now I can have it as a section and call it up whenever I want. I'm looking forward to trying this.

I trigger all my tempo/preset/scene changes via a laptop transmitting MIDI, but I still think the new Setlist addition is amazing. I wish organizing song orders in Reaper was as modular + streamlined!

Interested in hearing how big of an impact this will have on my 19.05 tones. Since I have a show coming up, I've been waiting for the final release before updating.
Would you mind sharing the set up you are using with the laptop and transmitting MIDI stuff (what software are you using - guessing Reaper is part of it but is that all, is this through the USB connection or are you using a MIDI cable, any tricks on setting up the FC connection to the MIDI from the laptop, etc.)? I really want to do this, but in reading the manuals, have not really found my epiphany moment, and I have done just about zero work with MIDI (but I am a programmer of over 30 years, so I am not scared)! I am running a Win 10 laptop and would love to do exactly what you are referring to here!! Feel free to PM me if you do not want to post here, as the answer to my question here would be off topic for this post!!!

Would you mind sharing the set up you are using with the laptop and transmitting MIDI stuff (what software are you using - guessing Reaper is part of it but is that all, is this through the USB connection or are you using a MIDI cable, any tricks on setting up the FC connection to the MIDI from the laptop, etc.)? I really want to do this, but in reading the manuals, have not really found my epiphany moment, and I have done just about zero work with MIDI (but I am a programmer of over 30 years, so I am not scared)! I am running a Win 10 laptop and would love to do exactly what you are referring to here!! Feel free to PM me if you do not want to post here, as the answer to my question here would be off topic for this post!!!
Basic breakdown of what I do is as follows:
  • Windows 10 laptop
  • Axe-FX III hooked up via a USB hub (Sabrent HB-UM43)
    • laptop only has one USB port and we're also doing the patch changes with a Helix stomp for my bassist and some other gear
  • Reaper is my DAW
    • running backtracks to Front of House
      • note: I used to run BTs FROM the Axe-FX directly, but we now use a separate interface with more INS/OUTs to better facilitate everyone in the band
    • running backtracks/clicks/cues to IEMs
    • I have all my songs in one Reaper Project and use Reaper SWS extensions to auto go to the a different Marker (i.e. song) when Reaper hits the end of song Marker. Works well once you get the hang of it, but this is where the "I wish it were more modular like the new FC Setlists" comes in.
  • Sending MIDI over the USB cable to change presets/scenes + automatically adjust tempo based on Reaper's

If you have the AXE-FX USB drivers installed, your DAW should see the Axe-FX III as a MIDI input device AND a MIDI output device. I enable the Axe-FX Input Device and Output Device. And in the Output config I make sure to Send clock to this device (for automatic tempo changes based on my DAW timeline).

To get the Preset/Scene changes to work you have to do this:
  1. Setup > MIDI/Remote > Other > Scene Select -- set this to your preferred CC# (I use 60, which I picked from a hat)
  2. In your DAW, create new MIDI items and insert Bank/Program changes and CC commands, referencing the Owner's manual MIDI reference tables section for the proper values.
Here is an example using my Scene Select CC# as 60, going to Preset 501, Scene 3.
  1. Create a new MIDI item
  2. Insert a Bank/Program Selectevent at the proper location in the MIDI item
    1. 1649711056947.png
    2. (this changes to Preset 501)
    3. For preset 501: Bank MSB = 3, Program Number = 117 per the MIDI reference table in the manual
  3. Insert a CC eventat the proper location in the MIDI item
    1. 1649711157726.png
    2. (this changes to Scene 3)
    3. The CC/Controller value should be 60 (or whatever you set it as)
    4. Value should be ONE LESS than the scene you want.
    5. Please note that the Value is one less than the scene number. I think there is a way to change this number to match the scene number via the Axe-FX's settings, but I have never bothered.
You can trigger other things via MIDI as well, but it requires configuring the Axe-FX settings to do so.

As I automate all of my preset/scene changes via my laptop, I've never tested to see how my FC would behave, but I assume it would just reflect your FC's current layout in reference to the Preset/Scene you have active.

Last edited:
Basic breakdown of what I do is as follows:
  • Windows 10 laptop
  • Axe-FX III hooked up via a USB hub (Sabrent HB-UM43)
    • laptop only has one USB port and we're also doing the patch changes with a Helix stomp for my bassist and some other gear
  • Reaper is my DAW
    • running backtracks to Front of House
      • note: I used to run BTs FROM the Axe-FX directly, but we now use a separate interface with more INS/OUTs to better facilitate everyone in the band
    • running backtracks/clicks/cues to IEMs
    • I have all my songs in one Reaper Project and use Reaper SWS extensions to auto go to the a different Marker (i.e. song) when Reaper hits the end of song Marker. Works well once you get the hang of it, but this is where the "I wish it were more modular like the new FC Setlists" comes in.
  • Sending MIDI over the USB cable to change presets/scenes + automatically adjust tempo based on Reaper's

If you have the AXE-FX USB drivers installed, your DAW should see the Axe-FX III as a MIDI input device AND a MIDI output device. I enable the Axe-FX Input Device and Output Device. And in the Output config I make sure to Send clock to this device (for automatic tempo changes based on my DAW timeline).

To get the Preset/Scene changes to work you have to do this:
  1. Setup > MIDI/Remote > Other > Scene Select -- set this to your preferred CC# (I use 60, which I picked from a hat)
  2. In your DAW, create new MIDI items and insert Bank/Program changes and CC commands, referencing the Owner's manual MIDI reference tables section for the proper values.
Here is an example using my Scene Select CC# as 60, going to Preset 501, Scene 3.
  1. Create a new MIDI item
  2. Insert a Bank/Program Selectevent at the proper location in the MIDI item
    1. View attachment 99817
    2. (this changes to Preset 501)
    3. For preset 501: Bank MSB = 3, Program Number = 117 per the MIDI reference table in the manual
  3. Insert a CC eventat the proper location in the MIDI item
    1. View attachment 99818
    2. (this changes to Scene 3)
    3. The CC/Controller value should be 60 (or whatever you set it as)
    4. Value should be ONE LESS than the scene you want.
    5. Please note that the Value is one less than the scene number. I think there is a way to change this number to match the scene number via the Axe-FX's settings, but I have never bothered.
You can trigger other things via MIDI as well, but it requires configuring the Axe-FX settings to do so.

As I automate all of my preset/scene changes via my laptop, I've never tested to see how my FC would behave, but I assume it would just reflect your FC's current layout in reference to the Preset/Scene you have active.
Thanks a bunch sixtystring, I am going to dive into this in a few days! Exactly what I was looking for and very well worded/displayed!! Never worked with Reaper, but that will not be a problem I am sure!!! I will probably see if I can do something similar with my Cubase as that is my preferred DAW, but I have worked with at least dozen of them over the years and have not had any problems!!!! You da' Man!!!!!

I think one of the biggest things for me is now I dont have to worry about maxing out a kitchen sink preset - can do multiple presets and have song feature pull what you need. For instance, i compromise a bit on my piezo signal - now I can have it as a section and call it up whenever I want. I'm looking forward to trying this.
Yes! This is it for me too. I’m not really going to use it, at least not at first for set lists but to pull scenes out of presets that I love to make those “kitchen sink” presets but just much easier. For me, 6 song parts are enough to easily make a preset that has everything I need. I’m so excited to use this live.

I’m thinking Acoustic(sim), Clean, Rhythm, More Gain, and Lead - that’s generally what I use live. Still one song part open! I know this can be done with normal scenes, but the ability to pull ANY scene from ANY preset, to me just added soooo much more functionality. I’m almost…no, I am full blown am giddy about it.

Thanks a bunch sixtystring, I am going to dive into this in a few days! Exactly what I was looking for and very well worded/displayed!! Never worked with Reaper, but that will not be a problem I am sure!!! I will probably see if I can do something similar with my Cubase as that is my preferred DAW, but I have worked with at least dozen of them over the years and have not had any problems!!!! You da' Man!!!!!
Glad I could help!

Is there already a hint for the final release date of Firmware 19.06?

I have an upcoming gig on Sunday and would go back to FW 19.05 then, just to be sure.

I've already changed my mind about how I'm going to use the Set List feature. Messing around today, I've discovered that a hybrid approach is probably what's going to work best for me. I have some main, kind of generic or kitchen sink presets that I use for things but also want some specific things for specific songs which have scenes from multiple presets. I've set up my FC12 to give me quick access to the Set List features and then those layouts that I'm using for Set Lists, I've set up a button for quick access back to my main presets (among other things) - so where I thought it was a powerful feature before, now using this hybrid approach REALLY emphasizes that. And props to the FC12 in this case - what a great piece of equipment that is SO configurable! I easily was able to configure it to do exactly what I wanted.

Ok - that's the last post I'll make about it, I promise! lol!

I have almost the same configuration and can confirm it's relatively easy and works well. I also change all tempo, presets, volumes, wah via Midi to USB, I just have in parallel a FCB1010 in midi IN to change manually presets or volume.

Works well with bitwig but tried also at home with cubase, just need to create your CC's or PC's tracks, configure the channels and select the axe and play. it's a must when you have to change 15-20 presets just on one song ;)

The latency via USB is unnoticeable, but you can still set some offsets or manually move the changes to match the timing of the song

And before that with the axe FX Ultra, I did the same thing but used the midi IN OUT from a soundcard as MIDI interface, as Axe Ultra doesn't have an USB interface.

like PC-USB-Focusrite_MIDI OUT- FCB1010 MIDI tHRU-MIDI OUT-AXE FX MIDI IN

Last edited:
Is there already a hint for the final release date of Firmware 19.06?

I have an upcoming gig on Sunday and would go back to FW 19.05 then, just to be sure.
I gigged last Sunday on the beta and everything was fine. I haven’t seen any general bugs or issues with the modeling in the 15 pages of comments so I’m not worried. I would be more hesitant to use the new song list feature live. I think if this were just modeling updates, we would be in official release already, but the song list is what has it in beta.

I've already changed my mind about how I'm going to use the Set List feature. Messing around today, I've discovered that a hybrid approach is probably what's going to work best for me. I have some main, kind of generic or kitchen sink presets that I use for things but also want some specific things for specific songs which have scenes from multiple presets. I've set up my FC12 to give me quick access to the Set List features and then those layouts that I'm using for Set Lists, I've set up a button for quick access back to my main presets (among other things) - so where I thought it was a powerful feature before, now using this hybrid approach REALLY emphasizes that. And props to the FC12 in this case - what a great piece of equipment that is SO configurable! I easily was able to configure it to do exactly what I wanted.

Ok - that's the last post I'll make about it, I promise! lol!
I've done a similar thing, with an 'escape' button to my regular layout, in case at gigs the band decides to go 'off piste' with the set.

Back
Top Bottom