Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.06 Public Beta

This is cool!

Is there any functionality to change settings globally within a setlist?

For example, I'm thinking in a situation where you're in soundcheck, and FOH has asked you to adjust something on your end. Do you have to go through every scene or preset to adjust this? Or is there an option to, for example, drop the master volume by 2db across the board?
Or would I need to go through every preset that's involved in a setlist, and make all these adjustments separately?

Just adjust the OUT knob, or use Global EQ > Gain.

When I was gigging two bands with frequently shifting three hour sets, this would have been an absolute life saver.
I wanted to post exactly this. The time and money the set lists could have saved me on the Axe a few years ago is staggering. I know it's beta and needs to be polished with the default scene selection, but I so wish I could time-travel even this beta to myself. I just fell in love with my FC12 again.

Very sincere thank you to Fractal. It's just been an incredible year of updates!

I can understand why some people are not satisfied because the new features don't meet their needs.
I had the same with the RJM GT22. Although they claim it's the most powerful controller it doesn't even come close to the Gordius.
There were some features that no controller to this day has:
  • dynamic memory: no limit on number of presets/songs/setlists: if you choose to have only a handful of presets but 1000 songs, that was possible
  • macros
  • variables
  • tempo, MIDI- and sysex commands per song
But I chose the GT22 because I wanted the little screens which were more important at the time.
So I had to compromise.
I don't think there's anything on offer that has the possibilities the AxeFx has to offer.
Is it perfect? No.
But IMHO, it's as close as you're gonna get now.
And I'm sure, in the future, Fractal will provide something that's even better and will even better suit everyone's needs.
And I'm sure there will still be some people that will complain.

This last FW is a huge step forward. Period.

Thank you Cliff for your continuing efforts to improve on what is already a phenomenal product.

Yes, but each "song" on the MFC was just a single preset.

If there's a band on earth who needs more than 128x6=768 sounds to get through a show, I'll pay them double to come and do my yardwork.
A friend on mine use an Hotrod, with analog wha and delay to cover 100+song per night.
I had a cover band with more that 128 song, from Abba to ZZtop passing thu celtic & popular ethnic & pinkfloyds songs, if I recall I used 2 preset and some scenes (and two guitars).
I think it's foolish for a guitar player to have tons of different sounds in a show: the audience is not listening to the sound, the sound engineering will go mad to make you sit well in the mix, your personality as a guitar player will be nullify, the band will have no center.
The song/setlist implementation is brilliant; I wish there was more set. Maybe user define set as a "tag" to filter different number of setilist or songs?

Sounds to me like the set list feature could benefit from "use sections" vs "don't use sections" per song functionality. Because this functionality has not been available on the unit, many people have built their presets maybe around preset = song, scenes = sections workflows.

I guess having 6 sections is based on a FC6 having 6 buttons but I could imagine it would be limiting if you play in a prog rock band where you might actually need more sections than that, especially if you were previously utilizing all 8 scenes. There's also the few users who have extremely complex needs because they play in some theater pit etc.

Being able to build set lists without sections could help for this sort of situation or alternatively increasing the number of possible sections. While 6 will cover most songs, there will be edge cases where it's not enough. Of course you could just split that into two songs but that's not so nice to get around what to me is an arbitrary limitation rather than a question of memory or performance.

For some reason I've found there to be an overall significant increase in output volume with this version of firmware.
Just me??

For some reason I've found there to be an overall significant increase in output volume with this version of firmware.
Just me??
My marshall preset seems higher, fw4 level like. It seems back to normal, after 5 dropped.
Sounds biting with body. Previous I feel like there was a bit of wha running mixed with signal. I know real amp morph harmonics contents, but there was a bit too much and all in the high. Now it moves, but it's smoother and more organic. Difficult to describe in words...

Question regarding Tempo. Can or will there be an option to set each "Song" tempo and have that override the presets tempo? I'm thinking if I'm using multiple presets for a single Song, how is the tempo handled.
I'd give another vote for this if it's possible to program!

It's not a minority of us that play to a click and if the song tempo needs to be accurate from the beginning there's not enough time to tap it in.

Drawing scenes from multiple presets would effectively require you to create multiple presets with the correct tempo. Someone can illuminate me if I'm wrong but it seems to make more sense to stay with the workflow of preset = song and global blocks.

A friend on mine use an Hotrod, with analog wha and delay to cover 100+song per night.
I had a cover band with more that 128 song, from Abba to ZZtop passing thu celtic & popular ethnic & pinkfloyds songs, if I recall I used 2 preset and some scenes (and two guitars).
I think it's foolish for a guitar player to have tons of different sounds in a show: the audience is not listening to the sound, the sound engineering will go mad to make you sit well in the mix, your personality as a guitar player will be nullify, the band will have no center.
The song/setlist implementation is brilliant; I wish there was more set. Maybe user define set as a "tag" to filter different number of setilist or songs?
There's a lot of truth in this post. One of the best live guitarists I've had the privilege of watching would walk into the room, plug into the crappy house amp, and produce all of the sounds he needed with the controls on his LP. I wish I were that good, but I need buttons. :D

I was browsing presets and the audio went silence.
Output 1 & 2 was full lit up and constant.
Input 1 LED was behaving normal.
The preset i loaded went it got silent: Solar eclipse
A powercycle and it came back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same with the RJM GT22. Although they claim it's the most powerful controller it doesn't even come close to the Gordius.
There were some features that no controller to this day has:
  • dynamic memory: no limit on number of presets/songs/setlists: if you choose to have only a handful of presets but 1000 songs, that was possible
  • macros
  • variables
  • tempo, MIDI- and sysex commands per song

@MisterE
Yes, the Gordius was something special. For the record, the GT has tempo per song (MIDI Clock) and macros ...

The only thing that I'm wondering about here is the mismatch between 6 sections and 8 scenes. I'm in the one preset per song camp, and there are a couple of songs where I'm actually using all 8 scenes. Is it safe to assume that I don't actually have to use sections, and instead I can stick with scenes instead? I.e. I can still create songs where essentially the only "section" I set up for each song loads the appropriate preset and it's respective first scene, and from there I could switch like I always have, by modifying the default "Scenes" layout, changing the Preset Up and Preset Down buttons to be Song Up and Song Down buttons instead - keeping the access to the 8 scenes that I've already set up for each song.

In terms of the 4 sets of 32 tracks that we are provided, I don't see any issues personally. Our active repertoire is less than 128 tracks, we generally rewrite our set lists for every show, we don't play more than 4 sets, and no set is longer than 32 tracks. Of course that's just my use case, and I understand that it might not fit others use cases - just wanted to add my 2 cents to the conversation, that it will appear to work great for me - although my laziness might prevent me from actually creating set lists in the AxeFx before each show, given that we have a paper copy on stage, my current method of selecting presets is working well, and we have a tendency to go off script from the written set list.

Is it safe to assume that I don't actually have to use sections, and instead I can stick with scenes instead?
You can even use a mixed approach. Use SONG footswitches to step through your presets in custom order, then use SCENE footswitches instead of Sections. Whether you need more than six or just prefer the old familiar, this is a fine approach.

Back
Top Bottom