Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.05

Sounds like a bit of blocking distortion is built into the design. Fuzzy, buzzy, fizzy, furry when cranked. Good clean sounds in the model, so pedal platform is the way forward, I guess....
definitely. in my latest bass patch that uses dual Chieftains I found you can mitigate fizz by bringing up the low cut parameter, 55 hz seems to be my sweet spot. you can also lower bias excursion. pretty much my dream cathode biased sound, there for the asking with the tools Cliff gives us

I very often work in Artist Support, where techs and pros design rigs ranging from very simple to extremely complex.
The most common request in that space is to have Amp and Drive blocks be able to be separated from scene control, so the pedalboard feels like a separate Amp Switcher and Effects Switcher.
Yep, that is how I intend to use it!

It might be just me but I felt when I went to 19.04 things got a bit brighter and thinner and I actually knocked the High Treble down a couple of db's. 19.05 seems to have smoothed the top end a bit and I'm not reaching for that control which I would previously have never touched. It seems a bit more natural in the highs again. As I said, it might be just me and I do have a preference for slightly darker tones or maybe that is my interpretation of what Cliff is referring to in the release notes; smoother distortion.

Last edited:
Hi all !

" .... Improved CNFB algorithms in Amp block resulting in smoother distortion and improved clarity .... "

So has anyone heard any audible sonic differences with this ^^ change from 19.04 (?) Maybe post a clip comparing 19.04 smoothness and clarity vs 19.05 smoothness and clarity (?)

All the best,
Ben

This firmware just feels better to me. I'm digging it! Speaking of digging it, I was finding myself having to dig in harder before to get the response I was wanting and now its just right and when I do dig in a little harder it seems to stay more focused instead of getting squishy.

Last edited:
The Scene Ignore per channel actually makes a lot more sense than having it apply to the entire block. If the Scene Ignore applied to the entire block, you could not have any scenes using specific channels of that block.

Did a quick test with it to see if I could wrap my brain around it. Say you have Amp channel A with the Scene Ignore 'on' and channels B-D 'off' and Scene 4 has channel D assigned to it. If you are on channels B or C in any other scene and select Scene 4, the Amp block will change to channel D.

If channel A is selected, every scene will use channel A, including Scene 4. Only by changing the channel to B or C in another scene will Scene 4 change to channel D. It offers a lot more flexibility in creating presets than simply having Scene Ignore apply to the whole block.

Hi all !

" .... Improved CNFB algorithms in Amp block resulting in smoother distortion and improved clarity .... "

So has anyone heard any audible sonic differences with this ^^ change from 19.04 (?) Maybe post a clip comparing 19.04 smoothness and clarity vs 19.05 smoothness and clarity (?)

All the best,
Ben
Dont have clips but I can hear the difference stated

I very often work in Artist Support, where techs and pros design rigs ranging from very simple to extremely complex.
The most common request in that space is to have Amp and Drive blocks be able to be separated from scene control, so the pedalboard feels like a separate Amp Switcher and Effects Switcher.
My plan is to lock 4 switches on the FC-12 to amps, then have several virtual pedal boards controlled by scenes. So that no matter what effects setting you can bring in a cleaner"ish" or more overdriven amp. Or vise-versa, change effects around the amp. This and the recently added FC switching options make for some seriously powerful control schemes.

With scene ignore you can switch to any channel and have it stay on that channel. Without scene ignore it's going to switch to whichever channel you saved it on in the new scene.
But, if you have the same channel selected for every scene already then it would be redundant.

But, if you have the same channel selected for every scene already then it would be redundant.
If you have channel A selected for every scene it's redundant if you switch to channel A.

What happens if you select channel B, C, or D? The scenes are all saved as channel A.

I’m trying to see if I would need and desire “scene ignore” in my setup.

I kinda see how it may be useful for drop tunings.

Would this be an improvement in our treatments for “seamless” or “gapless” switching?

I would think so if the amps and/or drives (or a particular block(s)) contributes to any perceivable gap or latency?

Otherwise just assign the channels as before?

Back
Top Bottom