Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.05

Was there a note saying to reset the Amp block, or is that just common practice now for every firmware update?
It's not common practice. We needed to do it when there was a major change in the amp modeling, but that's not necessary every time. Your ears will tell you if it needs to be done.

I’m coming from 16.04
Then, yes, you probably will need to. But, again, the way to tell is to do the update, update the factory presets, turn up your monitors or FRFR and play with some of the factory presets you liked before to get an idea how the new system sounds. Then, try some of your presets. If they sound good, then you're done. If they don't, then you'll need to begin the process of tweaking.

We should audition presets, or adjust their EQ, at a stage volume, because our ears hear more accurately at around 90-95 db. Also remember, ear fatigue is a real thing, so when auditioning or adjusting, give yourself a break periodically and do something else to let your ears rest.

Then, yes, you probably will need to. But, again, the way to tell is to do the update, update the factory presets, turn up your monitors or FRFR and play with some of the factory presets you liked before to get an idea how the new system sounds. Then, try some of your presets. If they sound good, then you're done. If they don't, then you'll need to begin the process of tweaking.

We should audition presets, or adjust their EQ, at a stage volume, because our ears hear more accurately at around 90-95 db. Also remember, ear fatigue is a real thing, so when auditioning or adjusting, give yourself a break periodically and do something else to let your ears rest.
Cool! Thank you for the detailed reply! I’m mostly on in ears for most live playing use, and then studio monitors for tracking, but I’ve heard that in regards to making scene volumes the same. I forgot where I saw it, but using the scene level tool in axe/fm9-edit has been a really great tool for getting them all in the ballpark by shooting for 0 (zero) on the meters. :)

Cool! Thank you for the detailed reply! I’m mostly on in ears for most live playing use, and then studio monitors for tracking, but I’ve heard that in regards to making scene volumes the same. I forgot where I saw it, but using the scene level tool in axe/fm9-edit has been a really great tool for getting them all in the ballpark by shooting for 0 (zero) on the meters. :)
Yes, I adjust for 0db in the Scene Leveling tool and the output block, and then my solo bumps it +3-ish DB for solos.

If your IEMs are good quality and reasonably flat, then I'd say to use those to audition and tweak the sound you hear. I'd probably put a GEQ or PEQ at the end of the chain, prior to the OUT block that feeds the IEM, and tweak that to my taste, and send an unmodified feed directly to FOH and let that engineer adjust the EQ for the house.

@Cooper Carter has a lot of experience dealing with IEMs on stage and his video about setting up their sound is useful. I'd definitely go with any recommendations that Cooper offers.

Yes, I adjust for 0db in the Scene Leveling tool and the output block, and then my solo bumps it +3-ish DB for solos.

If your IEMs are good quality and reasonably flat, then I'd say to use those to audition and tweak the sound you hear. I'd probably put a GEQ or PEQ at the end of the chain, prior to the OUT block that feeds the IEM, and tweak that to my taste, and send an unmodified feed directly to FOH and let that engineer adjust the EQ for the house.

@Cooper Carter has a lot of experience dealing with IEMs on stage and his video about setting up their sound is useful. I'd definitely go with any recommendations that Cooper offers.
I shoot for 0-2dB (tickling the red) for my lead sounds at the output meters, and back it down 4.5dB in a VolPan block after the amp and cab. Seems to work best with my SpaceStation's inputs....

If they're random, it's often a sign of pushing the CPU too hard. Check your CPU level for all scenes in the preset and make sure it's 80% or below. I keep mine below 80% because CPU usage can go up a little as the sound starts flowing.
Thanks...I think all of mine are under 70%, but will look at that. I don't ever hear the pops on gigs, so I'm beginning to think that it's something in my computer.

I’m wondering this too. One poster mentioned that if the firmware release doesn’t state to reset the amp block, then you’re good. However, in the wiki release notes, there’s no mention of resetting the amp block from the release notes since 14.01 until now, but I feel like I’ve read this over several updates on the forum (could be wrong), so I’d like to know the scoop on this too. I’m coming from 16.04.
I jumped from 17 to 19.05. I noticed that my patches sounded kinda harsh. Of course the new presets came right before that, so I pulled the amps/cabs out of new presets (if it matters, BE v3 and 59 Bassman), dropped them in, tweaked gain and holy sh#t they sound SO. MUCH. BETTER!

Last edited:
Mac or PC? On my Mac, I've had a few issues with Youtube messing up my bog standard audio interface (MOTU M4). Oddly enough, the fix is to leave System Preferences open on the Sound tab. No idea why that fixes anything, but without fail, if my audio interface is acting up once Youtube has entered the picture, opening up System Preference > Sound fixes it.
Sorry, late answer (found it while searching for something different) - this is normal since Youtube often brings in his own audio format in, which seems not compatible with external drivers unless you re-load them ;)
As nothing to do with your Motu or your computer......simply a YT issue ;)

Back
Top Bottom