Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.05

Regarding scene ignore...I think that I understand the concept &, as always, I'm grateful for the continued improvement to the Axe FX3 et al but perhaps I am also missing the point. If it's necessary to keep say an amp on channel 1 in every scene then why not simply set it to that for every scene? Or perhaps a block for pitch change (an example earlier here), why not just leave it on on every scene?

Please don't take this as a negative post as it isn't. It is simply an enquiry for more understanding.

Been testing out. With "Scene Ignore" enabled, when I switch from a scene to another with the FX block bypassed, I have to step on the assigned FC button twice to engage it back. I wish I only have to step on it once :( It is very inconvenient at the moment. However, I thank you for your hard work and support for your customers very much.
Yep, not sure if a bug or a setting I need to configure differently, but I'm seeing the same behavior.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gling-bypass-state-after-scene-change.182216/

if you assign a controller you can either have it control the mix in all channels or in one channel that you select. i'm suggesting it could be possible to choose 2 or 3 channels at the same time as well. all in the same block
What you are describing would likely need to be two delay blocks with another block in front that you control to blend the two. I’m not sure off the top of my head but I would look into either vol/pan (for left/right) or maybe a mixer block.

Now, if the two delay sounds use the same type of delay but just have different values on certain parameters like feedback, you could use Modifiers on those specific parameters and assign that modifier to your foot switch.

Regarding scene ignore...I think that I understand the concept &, as always, I'm grateful for the continued improvement to the Axe FX3 et al but perhaps I am also missing the point. If it's necessary to keep say an amp on channel 1 in every scene then why not simply set it to that for every scene? Or perhaps a block for pitch change (an example earlier here), why not just leave it on on every scene?

Please don't take this as a negative post as it isn't. It is simply an enquiry for more understanding.
These scenarios don't need to use Scene Ignore. If you don't change channels or have an effect on in every scene, then there's no reason to use it.

One way I'm using it is for a safeguard using the Virtual Capo in a channel of the Pitch block. By turning on Scene Ignore on that channel, when I turn the Virtual Capo on or off, it will stay on or off regardless of the Pitch Block's saved channel or bypass state in any scene of that preset. No chance of the Virtual Capo turning off when it needs to be on when moving to a any other scene in the preset.

The idea is to be able to turn a block on on the fly with a footswitch, and have it stay on when you change scenes. The classic example is a song where you want the virtual capo on, but other than that it's your same preset. Turn it on before the song starts, and it'll stay on when you change scenes. You'd need to turn it off manually too at the end of the song.

EDIT: Another example is a preset where you choose an amp with footswitches. Turn scene ignore on on the amp block, then use scenes as effects presets that leave the amp block alone.

Last edited:
To me Scene Ignore allows an approximation of multiples of thirty-two scenes:

The idea of Scene Ignore is flexibility for those who want to have more traditional control. If the essence of the Axe-FX III is to recreate a Bob Bradshaw system, where you can change everything you need with one button, then the idea of Scene Ignore is to give you the idea to break apart that system to make particular decisions separately, perhaps even on the fly. For someone improvising, e.g., maybe all the time based effects are controlled by the Scenes, but your Amp Block Channel has Scene Ignore. Now you might switch between a Tweed and a Plexi when you feel it, but keep your chorus and reverb the same.

This is even more helpful because it allows you functionality to do what would otherwise take thirty-two scenes. To continue with the above example, you have, e.g., eight Scenes of time based effects, but you’d really like also for the amp not to change when the time based effects change, and you’d also like to change Channels on the Amp Block freely without having to change effects, then this gives you that flexibility. If you look at Amp Channels A - D acting separately from Scenes 1 - 8, that’s thirty-two configurations.

I say this is an approximation of thirty-two Scenes because of course, in this scenario, you cannot change Amp Channels at the same time as your effects, but thirty-two Scenes might be confusing and, frankly, more cumbersome, than Scene Ignore.

Now add to this example the Virtual Capo in four Channels, to be controlled independently from the amp and effects. This gives you far more combinations (I’d love to know the combination formula to figure it out), with more power to decide on the fly what changes when, between amps, tuning, and effects. So your flexibility just increased to an incredible degree.

sorry if i am putting this in the wrong place but in the next update it would be nice if we could assign controllers to multiple channels. for example an expression pedal that can control say the mix of the delay in both channel A and B. it could take the form of a tick-box selector where you can choose which channels it would work
+1 but this should be moved to the wish list section. There you can also check if this is an existing wish and bump it so that one gaines weight...

Yes, you are missing the point.

Let’s take the pitch block example. Say someone has a “rhythm” scene and a “lead” scene, with the pitch block off by default. Guy needs the pitch block for virtual capo for one song so he turns it on while on his rhythm scene. Solo time comes up, he hits his lead scene, and now the pitch block is off and that performance ends up on a YouTube compilation of “guitar solo disasters.”

Scene ignore fixes that.

To approach Scene Ignore from another prescriptive, another usage is simply for anyone who wanted more than eight Scenes for a preset. You may now be able to figure out a way without Control Switches to accomplish your configurations, using Channels instead; Channels are far more powerful than Control Switches, but now they have much of the independence of Control Switches (minus the FC ability for a Control Switch to turn off when the footswitch is released), when Scene Ignore is enabled. The possibilities are enormous.

Off the top of my head I’d say you’d turn on Scene Ignore for each channel of the pitch block you use for the Virtual Capo. Then, on your FC12, set up a footswitch on your main Layout, or on each of whatever Layouts you normally use while playing, to cycle from Channel A to Channel D, with a wrap. Since you’ve already set up Scene Ignore, when you change tuning with the Virtual Capo footswitch you’ve programmed, it will not affect the other blocks at all, and you can switch Scenes the way you did before and not affect your tuning. I’m pretty sure that’s all you need to do, but someone chime in if I’ve got it wrong. I’m only half awake.
hi, so I'm looking at this. How do you setup external switches to do this channel increment/decrement then and what do you mean by "wrap"?
cheers

hi, so I'm looking at this. How do you setup external switches to do this channel increment/decrement then and what do you mean by "wrap"?
cheers
Using the inc/dec function, wrap means that the switch will cycle through the selected channels. A, B, C, D then back to A and vice-versa.

Page 29 in the FC Footswitch Owner's Manual:

"EFFECT: CHANNEL INCREMENT/DECREMENT
“Inc / Dec” functions allow you to scroll through channels, stepping up or down.
Increment/Decrement – Designates the step size, whether up or down. For a switch that goes to the next channel, select +1. For a switch that goes to the previous channel, select -1.
Wrap – Determines whether the Channel wraps when you reach either end of the list.
Lower Limit, Upper Limit – These set the lowest and highest Channels that can be accessed using the switch, allowing you to restrict the range. If you’re using UP and DOWN channel switches, you’ll probably want to set the same limits for both."

Yes, you are missing the point.

Let’s take the pitch block example. Say someone has a “rhythm” scene and a “lead” scene, with the pitch block off by default. Guy needs the pitch block for virtual capo for one song so he turns it on while on his rhythm scene. Solo time comes up, he hits his lead scene, and now the pitch block is off and that performance ends up on a YouTube compilation of “guitar solo disasters.”

Scene ignore fixes that.
Control Switch already did this. Set it to bypass the virtual capo then under Controllers, CS per scene set it to "last". Freely change scenes and your pitch block stays however you had it.

Control Switch already did this. Set it to bypass the virtual capo then under Controllers, CS per scene set it to "last". Freely change scenes and your pitch block stays however you had it.

Nothing wrong with multiple ways to skin a cat.

I think scene ignore (or channel lock / sticky channel) is more transparent for users - even if it is still a bit confusing for some.

I don’t know; I look at it as allowing entire Channels of a block now to be as flexible as Control Switches. With a channel you can change every single parameter, even ones that are not assignable to modifiers. To me that’sa huge advantage. And of course with a channel change you can change your model altogether, which a CS cannot do.

Nothing wrong with multiple ways to skin a cat.

I'd prefer to skin a politician. Cats deserve better....

I think scene ignore (or channel lock / sticky channel) is more transparent for users - even if it is still a bit confusing for some.

It is a good first step. A way to change multiple blocks' channels with the same switch press would make it perfect. Amp and cab is the easiest example, since there is a degree of interdependence there, with the impedance curve and cab....

Back
Top Bottom