Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
sure, they feel also the difference in latency if they step 1-2 steps away or get closer to their speaker. That’s why these superheros don’t move their head when they record or play live...
Not so much hearing, but fingers do perceive tiny latency differences.

People start to notice the effects of latency when it cross certain threshold. That threshold is different for different people.

To make fun of folks who detects latency simply because one himself couldn’t is like a blind person laughing at people who can see.

If such tiny latency difference is non perceivable by anyone, why do you think Fractal decided to implement and provide such an option in the first place…?

Lastly, if you are not sensitive to latencies, honestly, I consider that a blessing.

People start to notice the effects of latency when it cross certain threshold. That threshold is different for different people.

To make fun of folks who detects latency simply because one himself couldn’t is like a blind person laughing at people who can see.

If such tiny latency difference is non perceivable by anyone, why do you think Fractal decided to implement and provide such an option in the first place…?

Lastly, if you are not sensitive to latencies, honestly, I consider that a blessing

Its just that no one can detect 1ms with fingers or ears. That would be like taking 1 large step away from your guitar cabinet and saying you can tell the difference. In a blind test everyone would fail 1ms.

not even a large step - 13.5 inches
Its just that no one can detect 1ms with fingers or ears. That would be like taking 1 large step away from your guitar cabinet and saying you can tell the difference. In a blind test everyone would fail 1ms.
That is very much over-simplifying things, when you stand on stage, there are many other factors, including floor vibration, various visual cues etc. And vibration in wood or solid material travels MUCH faster than sound in air etc...

Even take that analogy at face value, when one steps farther and farther away from the speaker at certain point, one would feel the latency, at which step would you start feeling the latency?

Lastly, playing on stage is almost always a compromise, small latencies in live environment is simply not on top of the concerns. In an isolated studio environment, one feels much smaller nuances.

at which step would you start feeling the latency?
I start feeling (but still not hearing it) around 12ms while playing guitar thru studio monitors placed L/R about 2ft away from my ears in a fairly dead room (so I guess 14ms including real air time) - in this context I think it is a fairly common number - and that simple wrt equivilent distance (1ft / ms).

Even at 12ms my "feeling" of latency is more of a perception of a lack of livelyness or connectedness in the tone compared to the exact same tone at lower latency (as ipposed to actually being able to hear it) - less enjoyable to play. Can't imagine someone conciously sensing 1ms - possible I guess - but rare I'd imagine.

As I mentioned earlier, I appreciate this feature in the context of having outboard gear that can rack up latency, so any little bits of latency savings (with acceptable tonal tradeoff) that can be had here or there can be, in aggregate, the difference between viable and not.

Last edited:
I start feeling (but still not hearing it) around 12ms while playing guitar thru studio monitors placed L/R about 2ft away from my ears in a fairly dead room - in this context I think it is a fairly common number - and that simple wrt equivilent distance (1ft / ms).

Even at 12ms my "feeling" of latency is more of a perception of a lack of livelyness or connectedness in the tone compared to the exact same tone at lower latency (as ipposed to actually being able to hear it) - less enjoyable to play. Can't imagine someone conciously sensing 1ms - possible I guess - but rare I'd imagine.

As I mentioned earlier, I appreciate this feature in the context of having outboard gear that can rack up latency so any little bits of latency savings (with acceptable tonal tradeoff) that can be had here or there can be, in aggregate the difference between viable and not.
Yeah, its generally common to start "feeling" latency past 10ms, thats why most wireless guitar transmitters strive for 3ms or less. That way even if you are far away you shouldnt touch 10ms.

I noticed an issue with updating from 19.01 to 19.02. My CPU usage is low normally (mid to high 50's) offhand, and it appeared to be an issue with the noise gate. It's as if there was a far greater noise floor and the gate would not work well. I could set it to clamp hard but then then the gate made it unusable. No other changes were done other then updating. I rolled back to 19.01 and all is fine again. I have an early prodution axefx3 when they had no fan speed control for the CPU fwiw.

Hi Fractal Audio,

after so many new updates one would now wish for an adjustment to the very good factory presets. some presets are affected.

Lastly, if you are not sensitive to latencies, honestly, I consider that a blessing.
Plz read the posts about latency(go back in time as needed) than you will know why they implemented it...and what they are trying to solve. Has nothing to do with what you think(you can hear, feel)

And if you hear your guitars unamped/acoustic sound along with the amped sound, yes perceivable latency goes down but it’s no where close to 2-3ms! And yet we are talking here about a 1ms “difference” at a low latency range impossible to be aware of it.

still if my first response came across harsh and rude, i am sorry for it. But science and fractal history is not on your side on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom