Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last firmware update we had ideal amp control drama.
This update... perceived latency syndrome.

Now some of us hear / feel a 1ms delay?
Really?

Maybe those same super humans can feel the atmospheric pressure changes going up and down a flight of steps. Or feel the Earth spinning... hey, it spins at 1000 mph.

1ms = one thousand of a second.

But, since you know the latency is already there, you perceive it ... right?
Wrong.
Placebo is a strange thing.

Last edited:
I'm still having an issue with my FC-12 after upgrading from the beta. Per-preset override labels and ring colors aren't working on switches 7, 11, and 12.

The functions still work, but the labels are unchanged from whatever the global switch is set to. This appears to be the case for all layouts.

Reverting to 19.01 appears to fix the problem, but after upgrading to 19.02 again, the issue is back.

Preventive FAQ: When will the updated factory presets be released?

Canonical answer: soon
Neoteric approach à la française: retard!

Last edited:
Last firmware update we had ideal amp control drama.
This update... perceived latency syndrome.

Now some of us hear / feel a 1ms delay?
Really?

Maybe those same super humans can ge the atmospheric pressure changes going up and down a flight of steps. Or feel the Earth spinning... hey, it spins at 1000 mph.

But, since you know the latency is already there, you perceive it ... right?
Wrong.
Placebo is a strange thing.
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Stable presets over a longer period of time also offer many advantages
You could be receiving what Line 6 dishes out for Helix... 1 to 2 years a year at best! Don't even guess how often the factory presets are updated!

No other company I've owned products from updates the gear firmware nearly as often as Fractal does. And I've used a crap ton of different brands and had pros and cons to all. Not answering as a fan boy, but as a multi product user.

I start feeling (but still not hearing it) around 12ms while playing guitar thru studio monitors placed L/R about 2ft away from my ears in a fairly dead room (so I guess 14ms including real air time) - in this context I think it is a fairly common number - and that simple wrt equivilent distance (1ft / ms).

Even at 12ms my "feeling" of latency is more of a perception of a lack of livelyness or connectedness in the tone compared to the exact same tone at lower latency (as ipposed to actually being able to hear it) - less enjoyable to play. Can't imagine someone conciously sensing 1ms - possible I guess - but rare I'd imagine.

As I mentioned earlier, I appreciate this feature in the context of having outboard gear that can rack up latency, so any little bits of latency savings (with acceptable tonal tradeoff) that can be had here or there can be, in aggregate, the difference between viable and not.
In the past I've measured and noticed it starts bothering me around 6ms.

You could be receiving what Line 6 dishes out for Helix... 1 to 2 years a year at best! Don't even guess how often the factory presets are updated!

No other company I've owned products from updates the gear firmware nearly as often as Fractal does. And I've used a crap ton of different brands and had pros and cons to all. Not answering as a fan boy, but as a multi product user.
Helix and the other products don't have good sounding factory presets. And in contrast to Fractal, the few updates (1-2 times a year) hardly affect the factory presets. This is the big difference to Fractal. Fractal accepts updates, which quickly always improve the sound and thus change the sound of the presets.
Incidentally, the third-party providers of fractal presets make adjustments to their presets regularly and relatively promptly (for example Fremen presets with a large number of presets). That's relatively quick. In most cases, these are not major adjustments and often only affect individual presets. I would like to emphasize it again. The factory presets from Fractal are excellent and are therefore also a selling point for some interested parties, because as a flagship they immediately show the high quality of Fractal products. It shouldn't be underestimated.

Perhaps Fractal can actually outsource the adjustments to the factory presets, for example to knowledgeable and interested Fractal users. It would be a possibility to react promptly to updates. Just an idea.

Please listen to preset number 16 "Euro" with firmware 19.02 as an example.

Last edited:
to all the people saying they get bothered by latency at low numbers - are you sure? If so, how do you deal with moving away from your amplifier? (Serious question) - given sound travels at around 1130 feet per second. 6ms equates to standing 6 feet 9 inches away from your amplifier.

Serious question, I'm always surprised when people talk in these numbers but play guitar with an amplifier on a stage

I'm still having an issue with my FC-12 after upgrading from the beta. Per-preset override labels and ring colors aren't working on switches 7, 11, and 12.

The functions still work, but the labels are unchanged from whatever the global switch is set to. This appears to be the case for all layouts.

Reverting to 19.01 appears to fix the problem, but after upgrading to 19.02 again, the issue is back.
This issue with the per-preset switches has been found and corrected. The fix will appear in the next release.

In the past I've measured and noticed it starts bothering me around 6ms.
You’ll certainly notice 6ms if you can hear both the original and processed sounds at the same time. Like many people who’ve been exposed to loud music for 60+ years I use hearing aids. Their processing latency is advertised as 6.5ms, and of course you can hear the original sound plus the reinforcement from the ear bud. For the first week every plate I put on the kitchen table sounded cracked. For two months my acoustic guitar sounded awful. Gradually my brain adapted.

Helix and the other products don't have good sounding factory presets. And in contrast to Fractal, the few updates (1-2 times a year) hardly affect the factory presets. This is the big difference to Fractal. Fractal accepts updates, which quickly always improve the sound and thus change the sound of the presets.
Incidentally, the third-party providers of fractal presets make adjustments to their presets regularly and relatively promptly (for example Fremen presets with a large number of presets). That's relatively quick. In most cases, these are not major adjustments and often only affect individual presets. I would like to emphasize it again. The factory presets from Fractal are excellent and are therefore also a selling point for some interested parties, because as a flagship they immediately show the high quality of Fractal products. It shouldn't be underestimated.

Perhaps Fractal can actually outsource the adjustments to the factory presets, for example to knowledgeable and interested Fractal users. It would be a possibility to react promptly to updates. Just an idea.

Please listen to preset number 16 "Euro" with firmware 19.02 as an example.
With all due respect, in the amount of time you've spent stressing and complaining about the factory presets, you could have updated them yourself. Or get Mr. Mud to do it for you, since he can do it in just a day or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom