Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor factory presets
good grief!! Not updating factory presets with every fw update does not make them "poor". I mean, if they want to update them every time then great - yes, it would be a small improvement, but suggesting its some kind of big deal not to update them every time is quite rediculous imo.

Also - so we don't end up like the previous 19.02 thread, I suggest moderators move the "update fac presets with every fw update" discussion to a wish thread.

When looking at a house or an apartment, at times, sellers will "stage" the rooms. This is to give the potential buyers a vision for what their life there could look like. For some people, it is very important that they are shown that, for others, it may actually be a deterrent. It depends where their focus lies. I am someone who would rather see a bare room where I can envision my stuff there instead of being met with someone else's idea of how that room should look. There is no right or wrong. It is very similar with the Axe FX factory presets. There are so many variables that make up the way people hear these presets, that I find it more useful to look at the architecture of the presets rather than to use them in my music. Again, that's the conclusion I reached. I don't look at the factory patches as showcasing the potential of the Axe FX. I look at a blank preset and get excited at all the space I have to be creative. Again, every one is different. I know for new users, it can be a daunting task to set up a patch. But, with every new firmware release, it gets easier to build one up from scratch. This firmware release has both sound improvements as well as functional ones, that allow users of all experience levels to shorten the time it takes to get a solid useable patch. I personally like that Fractal's focus is on that aspect of their products. I suppose I kind of think of the Factory Presets as a built in Wiki, one where with more experience one can become less reliant on. But that is one of the cool things about the Axe, we have the flexibility to see and use it differently with the same goal in mind, music.

I think the factory presets are another aspect of the machine that helps sell the system. I also understand that Fractal is a small, very busy, company. Cliff is quite open about what changes occur after an update, and what needs to be tweaked, and we all have access to the factory presets distribution, so perhaps a small group of us could voluntarily tweak them (somewhat appropriately) and release them back to the community each time an update affects them.

If we did a reasonably good job it’d speed the job for Fractal when they get to their normally scheduled round of adjustments.
A very good workable suggestion! This would be a great advantage for many users who are less experienced in programming presets.

When looking at a house or an apartment, at times, sellers will "stage" the rooms. This is to give the potential buyers a vision for what their life there could look like. For some people, it is very important that they are shown that, for others, it may actually be a deterrent. It depends where their focus lies. I am someone who would rather see a bare room where I can envision my stuff there instead of being met with someone else's idea of how that room should look. There is no right or wrong. It is very similar with the Axe FX factory presets. There are so many variables that make up the way people hear these presets, that I find it more useful to look at the architecture of the presets rather than to use them in my music. Again, that's the conclusion I reached. I don't look at the factory patches as showcasing the potential of the Axe FX. I look at a blank preset and get excited at all the space I have to be creative. Again, every one is different. I know for new users, it can be a daunting task to set up a patch. But, with every new firmware release, it gets easier to build one up from scratch. This firmware release has both sound improvements as well as functional ones, that allow users of all experience levels to shorten the time it takes to get a solid useable patch. I personally like that Fractal's focus is on that aspect of their products. I suppose I kind of think of the Factory Presets as a built in Wiki, one where with more experience one can become less reliant on. But that is one of the cool things about the Axe, we have the flexibility to see and use it differently with the same goal in mind, music.
Well said!

According to the Fractal download page, the last adjustment to the factory presets was on June 21, 2021 with firmware 16
The date is incorrect. Matt (Admin M@) updated the presets more recently than that. At least I think that he did . . . didn't he? What with Covid and all I sometimes lose track of time.

Hi Joker,

I read that @skydog was joking about the bugs - you know, more about fleas and lice, than software issues. But I could be wrong. What with me having kids and pets, I might just be projecting my own nightmare memories of dealing with both. YMMV, of course.

😺
Not fleas or lice. Greyware bugs in the noggin. And as I said, M@ sussed out the new-firmware and my FC-12 problem and fixed it tout suit.

Not so much really, but "acoustic latency", definitely - sound waves travel relatively slowly. Analogue signals travel down the wires at light-speed, so even when we only had wedges and side-fold, you'd hear what anyone else played a good time before the actual sound wave arrived on a large stage. It was always good to try to remember to listen to the monitor rather than the drummer's actual acoustic stick clicks, especially on a big stage outdoors on a windy day. I never liked my guitar speakers to end up too far away from the drum kit, so I always had the option of leaning into both when I wanted something to sound tight. That's not to say it ever did.

Liam

Thanks for the clarification! :) I didn't know precisely what it was called. Just knew that I
had experienced it before. Now I know electrons = no latency, while sound waves =
more and more latency the greater the distance from the source of the soundwaves.

You guys sometimes really amazed me how you are against perfection .

Anyway the fake knobs, anyway the factory presets in 16x 😅

Hey ! That’s not a Ali express product that we are talking about. That’s the axe 3 !

The basics ! Don’t forget the basics !

The first thing that a new user do is trying the factory presets AND turning the knobs ! So if he tried one sounding weird and then turn a knob that do nothing , imagine the cocktail 😅

but yes . If they are only one guy that manage the whole factory it’s complicated yes .
I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom