Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.01

Hmmm... just updated to 19.01 and after 20 mins I'm back on 19.00. My Matchless DC30 EF86 preset had more energy above 3khz making it sound more harsh. I did like the added energy above 5k, but I don't think it will translate well live. Also, the Chieftain is just off. No mids, and too much gain (I actually checked to make sure I had a cab block engaged... it just sounds so bad). I also checked my AC20, DC30 channel 1, and 5F8 Tweed presets and they all sounded like they had more "honkiness" in he upper mids.

Hmmm... just updated to 19.01 and after 20 mins I'm back on 19.00. My Matchless DC30 EF86 preset had more energy above 3khz making it sound more harsh. I did like the added energy above 5k, but I don't think it will translate well live. Also, the Chieftain is just off. No mids, and too much gain (I actually checked to make sure I had a cab block engaged... it just sounds so bad). I also checked my AC20, DC30 channel 1, and 5F8 Tweed presets and they all sounded like they had more "honkiness" in he upper mids.
Took me about 30 minutes to figure out my main presets, mostly mids sounded kind of nasally so minor tweaks on the amp output eq. Also minor tweaks on my sidechain compression for my palm mutes. Sounds great now, but was funky at first.

Do you use the speaker impedance knob a lot to get rid of all that mid range honk on a lot of patches or with certain amps like the 6160? Do you go farther than 0.9?

yeah if it's a Marshall amp and I'm using a huge oversize recto 4x12 IR with Recto large speaker curve I'll put it at .5, to make the 16 ohm default Marshall see what the cab would be, 8 ohms. You can go father than .9 sure, it will just scoop and scoop until there's nothing left.

I think speaker impedance is a scale control, so if it's a mesa 8 ohm amp, 1.0 is 8 ohms and 0.5 is 4 ohms, idk. i think each amp loads reset with its 'normal' impedance, so mesa stuff would be centred at '8 ohms', Marshall stuff would load centred at '16 ohms'. Just to my ears and fingers when you reset Recto 2 it doesn't sound/feel like 8 ohms to me, .9 feels like 8 ohms, speaker impedance knob is pretty sensitive. if i want any more speaker impedance scoop i usually bring speaker LF resonance freq down towards ~80 Hz or whatever spot feels comfy for a given master volume setting, low enough to give it balls and clear up any blurry boomy undesirable mud

yeah if it's a Marshall amp and I'm using a huge oversize recto 4x12 IR with Recto large speaker curve I'll put it at .5, to make the 16 ohm default Marshall see what the cab would be, 8 ohms. You can go father than .9 sure, it will just scoop and scoop until there's nothing left.

I think speaker impedance is a scale control, so if it's a mesa 8 ohm amp, 1.0 is 8 ohms and 0.5 is 4 ohms, idk. i think each amp loads reset with its 'normal' impedance, so mesa stuff would be centred at '8 ohms', Marshall stuff would load centred at '16 ohms'. Just to my ears and fingers when you reset Recto 2 it doesn't sound/feel like 8 ohms to me, .9 feels like 8 ohms, speaker impedance knob is pretty sensitive. if i want any more speaker impedance scoop i usually bring speaker LF resonance freq down towards ~80 Hz or whatever spot feels comfy for a given master volume setting, low enough to give it balls and clear up any blurry boomy undesirable mud
Thank you, I have been trying to get someone to answer me on the speaker impedance curve for awhile. I agree with everything you are saying. I know it will scoop any mid tone out any amp so I try to use it sparingly. I've often wondered what the modelling is set at impedance wise by default on each amp so I can adjust accordingly. Any ideas or thoughts on the PV amps or the FAS amps?

Possible bug. Either of the Legend models with the 4x12 Rumble SIC causes loud "rumble" (what a coincidence). Can anyone confirm?

Any ideas or thoughts on the PV amps or the FAS amps?

FAS stuff i have no idea, if I had to guess something like FAS modern would be 8 ohms, Big Hair would probably be 16 ohms, idk. With peavey stuff i don't know how they usually do high gain amps but usually a particular amp model had a matching cab, whatever that cab's normal impedance was is probably what the amps are. You can kind of tell by ear though when you go too far or go the wrong way, if there's gain involved, just slide it around until it feels like a natural spot, with the Rectos for me it's right at .9, default feels just a tad stuffy/stiff

Back
Top Bottom