Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

@FractalAudio, I noticed that all of the speaker impedance curves tend to roll off around 13-14k or so. When I use DATS to measure impedance curves, they all continue up to 20k with no rolloff. Am I doing something wrong in my measurements where I should be seeing a natural rolloff in the curve, or is that something you tweak on your end to work better with your amp modeling?

@FractalAudio, I noticed that all of the speaker impedance curves tend to roll off around 13-14k or so. When I use DATS to measure impedance curves, they all continue up to 20k with no rolloff. Am I doing something wrong in my measurements where I should be seeing a natural rolloff in the curve, or is that something you tweak on your end to work better with your amp modeling?
The curve shown also includes the output transformer. It's not just the speaker impedance.

Really wish there was (maybe there is and I don't know about it) a strait forward method to confirm that a curve selected is a decent match for a given real cab running at the end of a SSPA (or an IR for that matter). Measurement on real cabs seems elusive for many and matching impedance seems to be an important aspect of the modelled chain. I can select a curve I like for whatever I'm playing at the time but have no way of knowing if it's right in terms of having the cab react correctly overall + in unison with the rest of the amp modelling in most/all circumstances (I may just end up with like a cab that only steers left - fine until a right turn is needed). Pretty sure a large minority of customers here are not at studio engineer level (maybe the majority are not) so I feel we are in need of some fairly straightforward structured guidance to use the more advanced features like impedance, power tube/preamp tube options - not looking for an idiot's guide + willing to get my hands dirty in some reasonably intensive math and/or some critical listening training, but if it's light years out of grasp or only accessible thru inaccurate subjectivity, I shy away from using features that I would otherwise be keen on using with some better insight.

Last edited:
I have alway's tried to get similar tone as SRV but never succeeded with my guitar and setup. This time I tried again to get the Little Wing tone of the recording. At my studio I really got very close this time (although the output of Cubase is slightly different then same tone through my speakers from the AXE 3 directly when playing!!)

With AXE FX 3 FW19 it has never been easier to get so close (attack, sound, feel, frequencies)

PS: This is not about the quality of the file I put here, but about the quality of the AXE FX ;) as I can hear that it's NOT perfect

Edit: it sounded terrible hahaha but I included another so you can see that you can definitely hear that this is another strat (Blade California) which I like very much, but you do not get the attack from the pickups. Again: I Love FW19!!

EDIT2: it was settings Cubase (!) it's now better. (Not perfect, but MUCH better)

Musicman

Last edited:
Speaking of speaker impedance curve, any updates on the user slots for SIC? I know it’s “SOON”, but just FAS’s idea on how much difficulty/priority it has help me think about how much I can expect the implementation of it.

Edit: it sounded terrible hahaha but I included another so you can see that you can definitely hear that this is another strat (Blade California) which I like very much, but you do not get the attack from the pickups. Again: I Love FW19!!

Can some-one give me some tips why I love this when playing with Axe FX and that when I export this to Cubase and Soundcloud. The sound is thinner and also the frequencies do NOT match (even on same speakers). And I set everything in Cubase to level the sounds. There is a difference in recording and it's even worse in Soundcloud. WHAT am I doing WRONG?? ;):cool::eek:

Can some-one give me some tips why I love this when playing with Axe FX and that when I export this to Cubase and Soundcloud. The sound is thinner and also the frequencies do NOT match (even on same speakers). And I set everything in Cubase to level the sounds. There is a difference in recording and it's even worse in Soundcloud. WHAT am I doing WRONG?? ;):cool::eek:
Sample rate mismatch?

Sample rate mismatch?
Have to check. As i used usb to cubase and project should be also 48 and export also 48, same as axe fx.

Buffer was set to 128 as when lower i got crackles. Exported to flac, no compression, and uploaded to soundcloud.

EDIT: Yes it was also a sample rate mismatch. (Sorry! Should have checked)

Last edited:
Are you uploading uncompressed files? There's a way to do that, but I think you have to do it from your DAW, not through Soundcloud.

Have to check. As i used usb to cubase and project should be also 48 and export also 48, same as axe fx.

Buffer was set to 128 as when lower i got crackles. Exported to flac, no compression, and uploaded to soundcloud.
See my post above. I believe you have to upload directly to Soundcloud from your DAW to prevent their compression algorithms to kick on.

Not sure if this is a bug or >>I accidentally did something stupid<<. I've uploaded a factory preset with CS 1 assigned to (momentarily) engage the rotary block. It's set the same on all 12 switches in the scenes layout (I don't use it this way, I'm just demonstrating the anomaly). Every switch functions as expected except switch #6. Any other function will work on switch #6, including CS latching, just not CS momentary.

I'm on FW 19, wasn't happening on 18.3

Attachments

• CS Momentary Switch 6.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not sure if this is a bug or >>I accidentally did something stupid<<. I've uploaded a factory preset with CS 1 assigned to (momentarily) engage the rotary block. It's set the same on all 12 switches in the scenes layout (I don't use it this way, I'm just demonstrating the anomaly). Every switch functions as expected except switch #6. Any other function will work on switch #6, including CS latching, just not CS momentary.
Is there a hold function on that switch? I believe that prevents a switch from working as a momentary...

Back
Top Bottom