Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

Yes this “old speech” pops up already when someone said that changing the preamp ones in the axe don’t change nothing . Then it start with the eternal debate like they are 3 factory worldwide… they are just labeled this and that but in the end they are all the same bla-bla-bla … that some sellers paired them , test them more than the others … after testing them in the axe that’s sure that telling a difference between the 3 el34 etc , good luck . They are different by a single hair sometimes .

If it didn't change the should then why are there different types?
I went through all the EL84's in my normal Matchless DC30 EF86 preset, and thought I heard differences, then thought otherwise.

Should parameters on the power tube page auto change with each tube change? If so, they are not for me. I've updated Axe Edit, and "refreshed after FW update" but none of the tube parameters change... even when changing to a different tube type (EL84 to EL34). I seem to recall things like "hardness" changing with each tube change, but it's staying at "5".

Recordings and a/b test destroys a lot of rabbit holes and beliefs . How many time I ve heard “no I prefer maple neck, more bright “ blabla . The day you will recognize à maple neck or a rosewood in a recording 🙄. Same for pickups , there is a video where one guy demos maybe 10 different humbuckers and the difference is so light … same with 10 heads in the same cab. You have more difference in sound with 1 head with 10 cabs … some guys spend a fortune in tubes but if really they record their sound after the tube change and got the same difference than in the axe, imagine the désillusion 😅. Better buying tablatures and strings guys 😅.

I went through all the EL84's in my normal Matchless DC30 EF86 preset, and thought I heard differences, then thought otherwise.

Should parameters on the power tube page auto change with each tube change? If so, they are not for me. I've updated Axe Edit, and "refreshed after FW update" but none of the tube parameters change... even when changing to a different tube type (EL84 to EL34). I seem to recall things like "hardness" changing with each tube change, but it's staying at "5".

I wa about to ask the same question. The hardness does change when switching out the preamp tubes.

If it didn't change the sound then why are there different types?
i was riffing on drop f and I switched the tubes on skull crusher to el34 svetlana and its sounds whipping hot and tight!Absolutely loved it, the tube you've used for this is from which year ?
6550 Tungsol also sounds interesting.

So, does that mean the changes are happening "under the hood" with tube changes?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have to ask as someone who's tried but still hears 0 difference changing just the tube type parm in isolation (except for 300B) - Fractal's "yes" answer above I guess explains why. But, if tube type changes require associated "under the hood" (not exposed to users) parameter changes to make an audible change in sound, what is the usefulness of the tube type parameter for end users?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have to ask as someone who's tried but still hears 0 difference changing just the tube type parm in isolation (except for 300B) - Fractal's "yes" answer above I guess explains why. So if tube type changes require associated "under the hood" (not exposed to users) parameter changes to make an audible change in sound, what is the usefulness of the tube type parameter for end users?
What he’s saying is that the parameters change automatically ‘under the hood’ so you don’t have to do it.

I guess the editable parameters are there for us to tweak if we want to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom