Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00

I have already written everything before. I don't want to repeat myself.
Technology is moving forward, the product needs to be developed. But if the memory size of probably $ 5 is going to determine whether a fairly large upgrade is fully functional or not, that's not good.
When the MKIV comes with a new and faster processor, etc. and its new possibilities come out of it, that's okay. That's life. But the amount of memory ... ???
What did I expect? In that case, the option to buy a $ 50 card that I can put into FXIII will give me full functionality.

It is not my goal to fight Fractal, but only to present a different point of view of new functionality or its lack.
And this is only my opinion and does not make anyone agree with it.

But it always seemed to me that this forum is also for expressing your opinion. After some previous comments from some users, I am beginning to have doubts.

But please, let's get this over with. There are more problems with firmware 17 than the fact that MKI FullRes is not fully functional.
No, it’s not RAM that you can just add on. It’s NVM memory with their proprietary interface that comes as an IC. They used the highest capacity available at that time. It’s been a few years and now there is a higher capacity chip. You can’t just solder it on, the pin outs could be different, the power requirements could be different.
That M1 computer from Apple - you can’t upgrade RAM either, because it’s stacked on top of the processor. You can’t upgrade memory on your phone either, just have to buy the largest size available - that’s what fractal did, gave you the largest size available.

Haven't messed with the new Full Res IR stuff yet, am on an Axe FX III mark I
But the extra time shift / delay in "mm" in the cab block for the room IRs I do have is adding a beautiful natural feel and sound I could not get before.
I love it. Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, haven't tried it in a mix yet (always a bad sign ha ha ha, if I like it raw it won't work in a mix, usually - old man ears too).

Plus I'm digging the Maxon in front of a Mesa IIC+ Deep Bright - input gain at default 5, but the OD distortion set at 0 with a little nudge to 6 or so on the output, lovely chunky stuff

No offense but it seems that you don't know what you're talking about.
The Axe FX does not use SSD storage or similar technology you would find in a PC, smartphone, or USB stick. Instead, it uses specialized ICs designed for embedded use cases which have vastly different requirements and specifications. SSDs etc are almost exclusively optimized for size and transfer bandwidth and in turn sacrifice various other parameters which are important for embedded applications (e.g. an interface designed for real-time operating systems, guaranteed access timings/latencies, and higher endurances). These ICs are simply not available in large sizes because capacity is a trade-off with all the other capabilities. Looking at a big supplier in my country, the largest embedded storage ICs they offer are 2 GBit in size - that's BIT and not byte which equates to 256 Megabytes of storage.

Can't be bothered to find the post but IIRC Cliff stated in an earlier thread that the MkI used the biggest compatible storage IC available at the time they designed the hardware, and the MkII uses a newer version of that IC with twice the capacity that came out in the meantime. Same thing with the CPU, I know for a fact that the 1GHz DSP was the fastest model available when the MkI was released - but now the vendor released an 1.25GHz model with the same power and thermal budgets, thus it's feasible for Fractal to offer the MkII Turbo revision. So Fractal simply built the product with what was available at that point in time, it's not like they deliberately gimped the MkI storage or MkII CPU in order to sell an updated revision shortly after (hell, if that was their business plan they could have simply released Cygnus as the Axe FX IV and stopped updates for the III; and they would never have ported Ares to the Axe FX II). And while you can argue that there are other avenues they could have explored to future-proof the processing power or storage or RAM or whatever else, any such future-proofing would not be anywhere near as simple as adding a few dollars to the BOM of the product. Worst of all, they could cost a lot of time which Cliff does not spend on the next big modelling improvement.

TL;DR: limitations are due to the realities of designing embedded devices, from what I've seen Fractal don't compromise on hardware and do not use shady tactics such as planned obsolescence.
Bravo!

If Ive learned anything in the last 5 years, it is that being completely ignorant doesnt stop a lot of people from having strong opinions/beliefs 🤣

so I loaded up the vallair and the York audio free Ir's in my mark one using the scratch pad. panned hard left right in spots 3-4 with your Ir's in 1-2. somy output drops about 3db, how are you making up the volume difference. or am I doing something wrong? also I drop the level of the room Ir's to -15 to -25

so I loaded up the vallair and the York audio free Ir's in my mark one using the scratch pad. panned hard left right in spots 3-4 with your Ir's in 1-2. somy output drops about 3db, how are you making up the volume difference. or am I doing something wrong? also I drop the level of the room Ir's to -15 to -25
I posted the same thing in the last beta thread. I also noticed it really changes the stereo field, basically knocking out the center. Cliff just said turn up the level control in the cab block. That helped get the level back up & for some reason, got the center of the stereo field back somewhat.

Cliff shares these Beta releases with the community to allow useful feedback on functionality and seemingly to include us all in the process of these improvements. This time around there has been a handful of users that have done nothing but question and argue and complain since his first post on this technology. I am an AXFXIII MkI owner, and I'm happy being patient to see how this all turns out... in the meantime people should really think about how they represent themselves... This is a pretty small and privileged community, and it's easy to get a reputation quickly when you constantly hijack threads or argue over stuff that hasn't even happened yet. If I mention the guy who makes every thread about himself, you know who I mean... If I mention the guy that answers questions but is kind of a smartass every time, you know who I mean... I don't have anyone blocked but the handful of commenters that I will just pass over after seeing their name is growing.

Cliff shares these Beta releases with the community to allow useful feedback on functionality and seemingly to include us all in the process of these improvements. This time around there has been a handful of users that have done nothing but question and argue and complain since his first post on this technology. I am an AXFXIII MkI owner, and I'm happy being patient to see how this all turns out... in the meantime people should really think about how they represent themselves... This is a pretty small and privileged community, and it's easy to get a reputation quickly when you constantly hijack threads or argue over stuff that hasn't even happened yet. If I mention the guy who makes every thread about himself, you know who I mean... If I mention the guy that answers questions but is kind of a smartass every time, you know who I mean... I don't have anyone blocked but the handful of commenters that I will just pass over after seeing their name is growing.
This exactly, one of the best posts in this whole thread IMO ! + 1000 👌

No, it’s not RAM that you can just add on. It’s NVM memory with their proprietary interface that comes as an IC. They used the highest capacity available at that time. It’s been a few years and now there is a higher capacity chip. You can’t just solder it on, the pin outs could be different, the power requirements could be different.
That M1 computer from Apple - you can’t upgrade RAM either, because it’s stacked on top of the processor. You can’t upgrade memory on your phone either, just have to buy the largest size available - that’s what fractal did, gave you the largest size available.
Thanks for the clarification. I assume it is and thank you for writing it. I must have missed the post from Fractal that the devices differ IC.
We are dealing with a completely different device, which in turn explains the emergence of new possibilities and the inability to implement them in the MKI version. And my disappointment is completely unfounded.
In that case, I apologize to everyone who has been offended by my posts.

I have an AxeFX3 Mk1 and it's running FW16.05. I say that, because what that gives me is an almost infinite number of permutations and combinations of sounds, tweaks, effects, amps, etc etc, such that there's no way I could explore even a fraction of them in the time I have left on this planet.

Cygnus added some major features, and it improved the quality of the amp models among other things, and it was noticeable.

However, I'm really not bothered about AITR stuff. If playing live gigs, the amp IS in the room (I use two PowerCab Pluses in a stereo setup).

If playing in the studio, then I use one of several room simulation reverb plugins to achieve that "space" around the guitar sounds. (Check out 2C-Aether reverb plugin).

In other words, I am more than happy with my AxeFx3 Mk 1. I haven't even downloaded FW17.0 and I'm not sure that I'll bother, to be honest.

I'm reading the occasional post that it slows things down a bit, delays between scenes or presets, and apart from a couple of new drives (like we don't already have more than enough?) the main feature is the long IR capability - which I can't use on my Mk 1 anyway. OK - yes, I can have a fiddle with it using the scratchpad, but that's not a solution really apart from playing with it.

If my Mk 1 ever becomes obsolete, I may upgrade to whatever Cliff will have brought out by that time - sometime in the distant future - but even then, I may hang on to my Mk 1 as a classic. Bit like my turntable and vinyl LPs, my 1962 L-series Strat, and maybe even my flare-bottomed jeans...! ;)

I can’t agree more on that!
Well said.

I just block people and move on. The people that matter on here stay unblocked, because they rarely bring out their own personal insecurities in posts and are usually posting correct/factual information. I don’t post on here often, myself. I just come on to read about changes. If I’m blocked by someone, that’s cool too, because now I won’t upset them with anything I say. The system works pretty well if you just it.

I know most of us are talking about Full-res stuff here, but I have another question about the firmware: I noticed the notes say the names for Dizzy 2 and 3 were switched, and seeing as I never really tried out the Dizzy Silver 2 (now 3), I’m unfamiliar with how it sounded. On my end it seems fairly bright, like the bright switch is engaged even when its not.

How’re those of you that use these amps dialing them in? Obviously not a problem as there’s amps a-plenty in the Axe Fx, but I got curious since I noticed the line about the names switching and thought I’d check out those models.

Just made the switch from 16.05 to 17 tonight. The upgrades to the drive block diode with the added Maxon 808, TS9 and pitch block tracking are amazing. Really liking the TS9 a lot, definitely tighter than the T808 to my ear. I can definitely feel the tracking difference in the pitch block as well. Mk1 user here, don't even care to try the ultra res impulses at the moment through the scratchpad. Really thankful Clif made it work on the Mk1 even if limited. That's looking out for your customers without leaving them in the dust as the upgraded units come out.. My tone got better with this update, I'm a happy camper!

Back
Top Bottom