Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00

Damn, the fullres mix in is a world of difference. The feel is wild. Seems like you really get the most from it in headphones. Thanks ValhallIR for the IRs!

Fender never really updated my '68 Deluxe Reverb. They just kept coming out with new amps. The reissue has no USB, No socketed ICs or CPUs, no graphics or daughter cards. Heck, not even a single firmware update.

Don't even get me started on automobiles: A new model every years. Crazy! At least these use the same tire sizes: mostly.

Or Computers: What?!?! I can't upgrade the Pentium III to an Apple M1 chip?!?! Why the heck not? You should be able to! And why won't work PS5 consoles work with Atari?

In 1984 there were Transformer cartoons on TV, and they could change into whatever they needed to be. That's 37 years technology has had to catch up with fantasy. Hello? I'm waiting.

Beam me up Scotty: Earth in 2021 is seeing the return of Neanderthals... or wait, maybe Neanderthals are where the action is?

:smilingimp:

Last edited:
OK...

I've just tried FULLRES with headphones using preset 031 Angle Severe Scene 1... MOTHER OF CHUGS!!!

I've must say that the first time I tried them with my studio monitors I wasn't impressed at all, but in retrospective it may have been user error trying to load them with Fractal-bot. I'm a Mark I user, and now loaded them with Axe-Edit to the scratchpad slots and let me tell you: It sounds JUST like having my cab besides me bleeding thru the headphones. The feeling is unbelievable, minus the SPL and the thump you'd get in your body having a cab blasting right beside you. o_O

Hope Cliff finds a way to save them to MK I memory, I have to say now I'm a believer thru and thru. Also, It will be a crime if it doesn't find its way to the FM3/FM9 because I'm absolutely confident this would be THE BOMB for IEM users.

If everyone on this forum will all allow, I would like to give my perspective on this brouhaha that seems to have developed with some of the comments I have seen with the AFX III Mk I, M II, Mk II Turbo, FW 17, and FullRes support.

Before I give this view of things, I would like to give some background and caveats so that I my perspective isn't outright dismissed as a "fan boy" or "shill":

• I am a proud Axe-FX II Mark II owner since 2013 (the XL version was released I believe 90 days after I purchased my unit).
  • I own both iterations of Cab Lab.
  • I am a vendor who has supported the Fractal ecosystem as vendor of cab IR files and presets that highlight non-traditional amp pairings with those IRs since 2016 (First on Fractal's site then on my own site since 2017).
  • I am a proud owner of a AFX III Mk I since October 2019
  • I have been using amp simulations including, Digitech GSP-21, VSTs since 1995, Johnson Amplification JM-150, Line 6 Helix, Atomic Bass Box & Fire-Box, as well as casually using other units in sessions such as the Kemper and others over the years.
@FractalAudio & co. give a level of support that's second to none in the industry and they always look to push things forward both in their firmware and hardware.

If Cliff says the only way he could get FullRes to be supported on the AFX III Mk I is via the scratchpad, you can bank on the fact that it's not a money grab.

He and I have had spirited conversations regarding longer length IR files over the years when I was proposing that 500 ms IR files sounded more real than shorter length IR files.

The fact that he has come around and even supported longer length IR files than that for certain applications because he has taken in the feedback from the AITR critics should be applauded and yet some use that opportunity to bash him.

To me it's a sad state of affairs that people do this.

When you create a product there are always two conflicting pressures at play:
  • Pushing the envelope to see what you can do to make your product better.
  • Preserving value for those that invested in your current and past products.
This is not a cash grab offering the Turbo or having the Mark II be able to load more FullRes files than the Mark I, it's just the reality of hardware and firmware progress.

There is a healthy market and appetite for the Mark I if you feel the need to have more horsepower and more FullRes storage, so you can always sell your Mark I and upgrade to the Mk II or Turbo if you absolutely need more FullRes slots and processor speed.

If you really don't need it, be content with your Mark I as it really is an incredible sounding unit and can do things that no other modeler on the market can do.

If you look at other forums and see how the competitive units are supported with Firmware updates, routing, ability to fine tune effects, etc., then you will see the grass really is not greener in other ecosystems. Many manufacturers are content to keep putting out the same unit and not being able to implement eureka moments every couple of months because their hardware is frozen in time on their flagship units. I don't mean that as a slight against those competitors either, because everyone has different goals as businesses.

It's easy to Monday morning quarterback a business if you have never been in this space doing it yourself. It's an adventure and you have to be really thick skinned, because there will always be critics who are not where you are making things happen.

Once you know how much goes into making a hardware product like this or even software like my fellow IR producers do, then you understand the decisions one has to make as a business while pursuing what you feel is "the good" while knowing there is always going to be a population of people who will not be happy with that pursuit of "the good" because you didn't come up with it 2 or 5 years ago, or worse, those people who ascribe a negative slant to your pursuit of "the good" for one reason or another.

Hats off to you Cliff for pushing the envelope and never resting on "good enough".

Last edited:
Thanks to FAS for the update!

The long IR thing is cool, and NA to my particular deal. But I'm so thankful that the company continues to advance the hardware.

If I'm not mistaken, after the upgrade to firmware v17.0 the tuner mute configuration stopped working properly. The device used to silence the output if Setup->Tuner->mute in Axe Edit was set to the value Output while the tuner was on.

Sounds like one of your presets has a Per-Preset Override in it.
No, I haven't used that function yet. I also haven't been able to replicate this error. What happened was, I was at preset 344 and i wanted to get to 385, so I hit the Bank Up switch rapidly; when I stopped, the #4 switch turned purple and read "CS", no matter what bank I was in. I switched to the Scenes layout and it went away. I switched back to the Presets menu and it didn't reappear.

OK...

I've just tried FULLRES with headphones using preset 031 Angle Severe Scene 1... MOTHER OF CHUGS!!!

I've must say that the first time I tried them with my studio monitors I wasn't impressed at all, but in retrospective it may have been user error trying to load them with Fractal-bot. I'm a Mark I user, and now loaded them with Axe-Edit to the scratchpad slots and let me tell you: It sounds JUST like having my cab besides me bleeding thru the headphones. The feeling is unbelievable, minus the SPL and the thump you'd get in your body having a cab blasting right beside you. o_O

Hope Cliff finds a way to save them to MK I memory, I have to say now I'm a believer thru and thru. Also, It will be a crime if it doesn't find its way to the FM3/FM9 because I'm absolutely confident this would be THE BOMB for IEM users.
Hey, how did you load the IRs via AxeEdit? I could not do it unfortunately.

If I'm not mistaken, after the upgrade to firmware v17.0 the tuner mute configuration stopped working properly. The device used to silence the output if Setup->Tuner->mute in Axe Edit was set to the value Output while the tuner was on.
I had to reset the tuner settings as well. Just need to set the MUTE section in the middle to OUTPUT by paging over to to Config on the front panel.
Seems the new firmware resets this to the defaults of not MUTED.
EDIT: Also does not mute at all from Axe Edit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom