Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00

How many of the people here that are complaining about the mkI have complained to the manufacturer of your actual amp when they released an updated version?

You paid for what you got at the time you got it. There is no guarantee of anything beyond that outside of warranty support.

Fractal provides MANY free updates. Others products provide few updates, often only bug fixes, and feature improvements cost money.

I love how the FC-12 now flashes all the LEDs when pressing BANK UP/DOWN so that you know where you are, mine didn't used to do that before!

I think somebody already mentioned the flashing presets on the FC controller, but I may have found another issue - I was paging thru blocks of presets when all of a sudden the 4th footswitch turned purple and read "CS" - even tho I was in the Presets layout. I haven't been able to replicate it tho.

Everything sounds great to me on this update. It' seems on my main preset the gain might be a little less but could just be me. Thanks a lot FAS/Cliff!

Just a heads up , the upgrade takes around 20-30 minutes ..

Took about 5 minutes total on my MK1.

Select an empty preset on the Axe III before starting the update. If you have a big, full preset selected, there's far less memory left for the unit to process the update. Pulling up an empty preset leaves the memory mostly free and it completes the update MUCH faster. Same goes for backups and restores as well.

I went back to 16.5 just to check if my gain was really a little less in 17 and my FC-12 is not showing anything on the scribble strips and isn't responding after going back. I think I found the less gain issue. My Noise gate offset was on 0.00 with 16.5 and after I upgraded to 17 its now on 20db which was knocking the edge off my gain a little. I went back to 17 and my FC-12 still isn't working, my layouts are gone. Anyone else have this?

Despite all the pissing and moaning in this thread, I'd like to take a sec to thank Fractal for including FullRes support on the MK1 via the Scratchpad slots. They could have just as easily omitted it from the MK1 completely so it's nice of them to include it.

Keep those updates coming Cliff, both software and hardware. There's plenty of us here that are more than grateful for the constant progress. I'm definitely a Fractal customer for life. Now if only every other company I dealt with were even a fraction as responsive and customer centric...

Can we have details with the pitch improvements ? I have spent some times with the virtual capo, whammy and pitch and don’t notice something new or improved

I went back to 16.5 just to check if my gain was really a little less in 17 and my FC-12 is not showing anything on the scribble strips and isn't responding after going back. I think I found the less gain issue. My Noise gate offset was on 0.00 with 16.5 and after I upgraded to 17 its now on 20db which was knocking the edge off my gain a little. I went back to 17 and my FC-12 still isn't working, my layouts are gone. Anyone else have this?
This happened to me after one of the updates a long time ago. Did you backup your settings? If so you can restore just the FC settings and it should work.

I went back to 16.5 …………. and my FC-12 is not showing anything on the scribble strips and isn't responding after going back. ………..
I went back to 17 and my FC-12 still isn't working, my layouts are gone.
Anyone else have this?
Yes, precisely the same here.

But no need to worry.
Though it might seem so on the first glimpse, nothing is defect, only the FC configuration is gone.

Hopefully you have a backup of your FC-12. If so, simply restore it and everything is good again.

In my case, the global AXE-FX III Setup parameters were reversed to their factory defaults, too. The needed to be setup again.

@REDD : was just writing while you posted. 😉

Last edited:
Would love answers/advice/guidance about: How come it's the same fw for mk1 and mk2? I know there's different functionality... so i'm confused... just install this on my Ax3 mk1 and certain features will be ignored and not be installed? Or will i have non functioning controls and/or tabs on the cab block/user banks/axedit?
Because basically they're the same device, the only differences are the available memory and the display. That the Turbo shares the same memory and display as the Mk II, only it runs faster, puts it in the same class. And, when the firmware is written it can ignore those differences, or it can honor them, or pick and choose depending on what the developers want it to do. For reduced development effort, and reduced support needs, it makes a lot of sense to make it as universal as possible. Splitting development into two, or three, or n, separate files works against us and Fractal.

Just some commentary: I'm used to the old way of fw updates! I think it would be great to have separate fw links for mk1 and mk2! Then Mk1 users get their own specific FW, written and verified and tested with "love"... instead of "you'll use only what applies to lesser units from now on"... Is the Mk1 to be declared to be EOL soon (due to lack of Turbo and NV memory)?
Looking at it as "you'll use only what applies to lesser units from now on", or that Fractal would have that attitude toward the users, is a very negative way of viewing what is an industry standard for software development, and has been proven to work better. It's not really about you, it's definitely not about segmenting the FX3 line into a "lesser" or a worst, better, best range. There's been absolutely no mention that the Mk I will be dropped or ignored in any way, to the contrary, by using unified firmware it's guaranteed to remain relevant. It currently runs Cygnus as well as the Mk II does, and Cliff has already said he has more ideas to try to fit the functionality into the Mk I. That passion and effort toward a "lesser" unit is remarkable, so I'd urge looking at this and Fractal's effort in a lot more positive light.

Even if they did decide to stop development for the Mk I, does that mean it'll immediately stop working? Absolutely not. People are still using the previous generations of FAS devices quite happily. Does it mean it'll immediately lose value? Nope, look at what older FAS devices are still selling for. Besides, did you buy to wring the life out of it until it didn't do what you needed, or as a collector's piece? I suspect you intended to use it until it didn't meet your needs.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-release-version-17-00.177099/post-2155039

And, Cliff said he has ideas to try to implement it in the Mk I. And, if he does, won't all that angst be wasted energy?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom