Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta

I suspect I started programming before you, with assembler also, and remember getting my first debugger and thinking this is the coolest thing ever, then getting a disassembler and going after the ROMs in my old Radio Shack Color Computer then becoming a pirate... err... "hacker". I was the "go ask" guy if someone didn't know how to do something throughout my career. And I feel ignorant when reading your tech notes.
I remember hand assembling code in hexadecimal before the color computer assembler/editor came out. To fit in my 4K of RAM.

I'd like to see a poll of how many Fractal users are developers, or close to that field. It's interesting to see comments from so many people with this background, and it makes me wonder if there's something about Fractal that uniquely speaks to people who've worked in coding for a while. As for me, I can create spreadsheets, kind of.

I'd like to see a poll of how many Fractal users are developers, or close to that field. It's interesting to see comments from so many people with this background, and it makes me wonder if there's something about Fractal that uniquely speaks to people who've worked in coding for a while. As for me, I can create spreadsheets, kind of.
Years ago Digital Magazine, from the "Digital" computer company that made Vax computers, had a really interesting article about the strong overlap between programming and classical music composition, because both are based on rigid rules, but once you know the theory/rules behind them, the sky is the limit. They pointed out the need for strong creativity in both worlds. There were many other points to it but it makes sense.

I think that, as far as using the hardware goes, IT-type people tend to have a lot less resistance to trusting a computer to manipulate the guitar sound, and are less intimidated by the interface, especially when dealing with an interface that isn't mouse-driven. I think we're also more inclined to snoop through menus, read the manuals and the wiki and twiddle the knobs to see what happens.

I've been doing embedded hardware and software for over 30 years. I started when a state-of-the-art DSP was 40MHz and programming was all done in assembly. Debuggers/emulators were luxury items.
I don't think HP even made an ICE for a DSP when I worked at that division (64000, 64100 and 64700-series microprocessor development systems), now more than 30 years ago. Even if they had, it would have been very expensive.

Years ago Digital Magazine, from the "Digital" computer company that made Vax computers, had a really interesting article about the strong overlap between programming and classical music composition, because both are based on rigid rules, but once you know the theory/rules behind them, the sky is the limit.

Now that is an interesting intersection; I had no idea. I read theory and a counterpoint on my own, and I can totally see that intersection, and why AI would get so into figuring out the quirks of Telemann, Bach, or someone like that in order to try to recreate their thought processes. But I still don't put composition of that style together with guitar playing, or focus on guitar tone per se. I remember my last guitar teacher, in the 90s, whose heroes were all the serialists and/or crazy people, like Elliot Carter, Penderecki, Schonberg, and Charles Ives, would talk about classical guitar with these hilariously disparaging comments, like "It's all just a bunch of lines in A minor" haha (I don't at all agree with that sentiment, by the way!). I was being taught tone rows and atonal theory when all I was listening to was a combination of cock rock, Shrapnel Records, and thrash. This is my lifeblood, and my teacher is telling me to read "Elementary Training for Musicians" by Paul Hindemith, the least aptly titled book in the canon, and I did try to get through it. No wonder my mind is so warped. The closest I could get on my own was an affinity for Bartok, but that's not really in the same world as the serialists. But anyway, I just had a very very weird teacher, but I wonder how many electric guitarists in general love classical theory, counterpoint, and whatnot. That's very interesting. I do believe reading, by the way, that Cacophony (Marty Friedman and the inimitable Jason Becker) used tone rows, but I've never tried to transcribe any of their work to know for sure. I believe there's one in a Slayer riff if memory serves right, haha, no kidding.

Need AITR but not implemented? You may like this one:

Just $400+, you can immediately try AITR in a headphone, and you won't lose 1,024 user IR slots.
Looks like it can be connected to AXE-FX III, it's got FRFR mode ("FLAT" amp type)

Just for your information.

Used to be, many many years ago. Assembler, COBOL, JCL and FOCUS. Used to build web pages with HTML by hand because it was fun.

Not the same thing, but wondering if anyone here tried the Steven Slate VSX headphones ?

https://stevenslateaudio.com/vsx
Yup. They do what they say, build quality is ok, would prefer a higher spec, but I haven't had any issues. I use them all the time to work on mixes now. Kinda like monitors, get to know your favourite rooms and dont jump around. Also great for checking mixes. Not for everyone, but i quite like them.

Back
Top Bottom