Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing saying you can't use FullRes room mic IRs from one speaker with close-mic'd IRs of a different speaker. I'm doing that right now and it sounds great. I don't think I can go back to regular IRs now.
Interesting. Can you show an example how to do that? Thanks.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/17p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_17p00_beta8.zip

For those with a Mark II here are two FullRes IRs that you can import (thanks to ValhallIR for these):
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/17p0/V2-Viper-k-sE8-FFL.syx
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/17p0/V2-Viper-k-sE8-FFR.syx

To import the IRs do the following:
1. Open FractalBot.
2. Select Utility as the device.
3. Select Axe-Fx III MIDI Out as the output port.
4. Set MIDI Buffer Delay to 10ms (optional but if you don't it's going to take a LONG time).
5. Choose one of the above files to send (drag-and-drop onto FractalBot after saving to your PC).
6. Go to the Cabinet 1 block and set the third IR slot bank to User 3 (FR).
7. Set the third IR slot number to the desired IR number to import to.
8. Send the file to the Axe-Fx.
9. Repeat for the other file and choose a different IR number.

If you choose, say, IR numbers 1 and 2 you will now have a stereo pair of IRs in those slots. Pan the left one left and the right one right. Experiment with different levels to increase/decrease the amount of room.

You can go to the Align page in the Cab block and zoom out to the see the response of the room IRs.

A new version of Axe-Edit is forthcoming which will support FullRes IR management. If you're impatient you can use the above steps to import the IRs.

We are expecting FullRes content from providers shortly.
Thanx Cliff and Staff!! will check it out later tonight.

I updated from the previous beta to Version 17.00 public beta 2, and noticed all my presets are very noisy with a whooshing sound in the background. I think I read where you do something with the cab to make it go away? It is also very present when I add a rive block of any kind.

These ones are better suited to be paired with a normal IR, and at a lower level and panned left and right.
Right, I understand that… but even mixed with an IR it sounds almost the same as the clip I posted. The problem I’m having, is I tried re-uploading the IRs and upon doing so I turned on slot one with an IR in it, and then went back to slot 3 to try and turn the mix down on the full res… but turning the level or pan was doing absolutely nothing from the front panel; and while doing so the unit itself freaked out and made a huge pop and static noise at full volume (which scared the everliving shit out of me LOL) until I turned it off. I didn’t have time to continue messing with it and went back to 16.05

Is this because Axe Edit isn't updated yet? USA Pre LD2 Red shows up as ANGLE SEVERE 2, ANGLE SEVERE 1 appears as Recto1 Orange Modern. Recto 1 Red appears as Recto1 Orange Normal in Axe Edit, however in the front panel of AXE FX III correct Amps are shown.

Last edited:
The bar has been raised. I spent the last couple of hours with the Full Res (thanks to ValhallIRs): and my jaw aches a little from grinning for such an extended period. Full Res is pretty great. I've spent uncounted hours mixing and mastering over decades, and the Full Res easily achieves a convincing room ambience that is challenging to even approximate with carefully tweaked reverb or delay. I'm sure most of you will register this as soon as you plug in, it's that obvious.

I tried all sorts of stuff with the VallhallIRs: Panned left and right as room mics and down -9db to -12db they paired well with a variety of your workhorse cabinets from 1X10 Princeton to 4X12 Greenbacks: Cleanish Strat spank or dirgy Marshall grind - its all good: I also virtually moved the speakers from on the grill to the full 3.4m and it's all workable, though I preferred placements about 1.5 - 1.8m as my flavor of the day. If you set the L & R room mics for different distances, you can get some wonky perceptions of the stereo field, which could probably be handy if you get jiggy with surround sound or Dolby Atmos.

It seems to me to work just fine with Standard IRs as the base close mic source with room mics locating it in a customizable space, though I prefer having the room mics down in the mix. No doubt carefully matched close and room mic combinations will come out that increase the accuracy, especially when the room mics are up in the mix. Even so, out of the gate: Full Res is very satisfying.

Its likely to involve something of a rethink with some effects, though: which effects will go between the amp and cabinet, which go after.

Last edited:
I think I have read a couple references to this so far about effect placement with FullRes IRs. Before FullRes:
"The cab is a linear time invariant effect (unless you add drive) so effects like delay and reverb will sound the same before or after it."
Maybe I missed it, but why is it different with FullRes? Is it simply their time length?
Thanks

The bar has been raised. I spent the last couple of hours with the Full Res (thanks to ValhallIRs): and my jaw aches a little from grinning for such an extended period. Full Res is pretty great. I've spent uncounted hours mixing and mastering over decades, and the Full Res easily achieves a convincing room ambience that is challenging to even approximate with carefully tweaked reverb or delay. I'm sure most of you will register this as soon as you plug in, it's that obvious.

I tried all sorts of stuff with the VallhallIRs: Panned left and right as room mics and down -9db to -12db they paired well with a variety of your workhorse cabinets from 1X10 Princeton to 4X12 Greenbacks: Cleanish Strat spank or dirgy Marshall grind - its all good: I also virtually moved the speakers from on the grill to the full 3.4m and it's all workable, though I preferred placements about 1.5 - 1.8m as my flavor of the day. If you set the L & R room mics for different distances, you can get some wonky perceptions of the stereo field, which could probably be handy if you get jiggy with surround sound or Dolby Atmos.

It seems to me to work just fine with Standard IRs as the base close mic source with room mics locating it in a customizable space, though I prefer having the room mics down in the mix. No doubt carefully matched close and room mic combinations will come out that increase the accuracy, especially when the room mics are up in the mix. Even so, out of the gate: Full Res is very satisfying.

Its likely to involve something of a rethink with some effects, though: which effects will go between the amp and cabinet, which go after.
Clips please.

Will you use this live or only for recording? I know a few others have chimed in, but am wondering what you will do since you are so "happy" with them.

That's the weirdest use of scare quotes I've ever seen.

I had to bail on the FR IRs due to the very pronounced artifacts described upthread. That was not before I determined this ambience solution is (to my ears) the first really convincing room sound I've heard in my own work.
I've tried forever to get AITR sounds on tape and later in the digital-only realm. I have very much enjoyed it, and the results have often been very good. They didn't involve room mics, though, as inputs and mics have always been scarce in my projects.

They just don't measure up to this new paradigm in the slightest. When @FractalAudio says, "I don't think I can go back to regular IRs now," I trust I will feel the same way once everything is working as intended. The proof-of-concept clips sold me.

Of course now I am looking at my current cab packs and hoping for FR shots to go with them. Can't wait to check out some larger spaces as well. This isn't just, "Ooo, new and shiny." This is, " O, they've made a big leap forward."

As far as "how" I intend to use them, the answer is "however I like at any time." :innocent:

Right, I understand that… but even mixed with an IR it sounds almost the same as the clip I posted. The problem I’m having, is I tried re-uploading the IRs and upon doing so I turned on slot one with an IR in it, and then went back to slot 3 to try and turn the mix down on the full res… but turning the level or pan was doing absolutely nothing from the front panel; and while doing so the unit itself freaked out and made a huge pop and static noise at full volume (which scared the everliving shit out of me LOL) until I turned it off. I didn’t have time to continue messing with it and went back to 16.05

That’s probably because adding the Fullres ir sent the cpu usage too high. I posted about that in an earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom