Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

Can you explain the two or three different colors in the band for each instrument?
If I remember correctly, the blue represents the range of note fundamentals.

The red represents the harmonic overtones that the instrument can produce.

That's why 5 KHz EQ moves on bass don't pull up actual notes played but brings up the air or overtones on notes that are played.

Contrast that with boosting 70 Hz or 350 Hz on the same instrument, depending upon the notes being played in a particular musical piece.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the blue represents the range of note fundamentals.

The red represents the harmonic overtones that the instrument can produce.

That's why 5 KHz EQ moves on bass don't pull up actual notes played but brings up the air or overtones on notes that are played.

Contrast that with boosting 70 Hz or 350 Hz on the same instrument, depending upon the notes being played in a particular musical piece.
That makes sense. Any idea what the black bars that appear on some instrument ranges might be?

Not afaik - dry signal separation is maintained, but the wet reverb signal output is mono (not really noticable at normal reverb mix levels).

the reverb wet output is mono??? that would explain a whole lot of stuff. if the reverb block of all effects is that way then no doubt any other "stereo" block with a wet mix would be the same. no wonder it always sounds lopsided unless you run everything manually in parallel/duplicate

the reverb wet output is mono??? that would explain a whole lot of stuff. if the reverb block of all effects is that way then no doubt any other "stereo" block with a wet mix would be the same. no wonder it always sounds lopsided unless you run everything manually in parallel/duplicate
Stay calm! :) Other stereo fx are not the same - reverb is a particular case afaik, and it is barely noticeable, if at all, in most standard usage scenarios where reverb mix would be low. If you're getting lopsided sounds, there's probably something else going on in your chain. Running reverb in series works fine / sounds great - some put it parallel often because they don't want their delays reverb'd. There's a stereo spread knob in reverb to give some separation, but if you set the reverb 100% wet in series with ping pong delay before it you'll easily hear that the wet signal is not fully stereo (dry separation is retained). You can have a fully stereo reverb using two reverb blocks at some cpu cost.

Last edited:
Stay calm! :) Other stereo fx are not the same - reverb is a particular case afaik, and it is barely noticeable, if at all, in most standard usage scenarios where reverb mix would be low. If you're getting lopsided sounds, there's probably something else going on in your chain. Running reverb in series works fine / sounds great - some put it parallel often because they don't want their delays reverb'd. There's a stereo spread knob in reverb to give some separation, but if you set the reverb 100% wet in series with ping pong delay before it you'll easily hear that the wet signal is not fully stereo (dry separation is retained). You can have a fully stereo reverb using two reverb blocks at some cpu cost.
I didn't know this, can't say as I've ever checked.

Typically but not always, reverb inputs get summed to mono, but the dry portion of the mix at the output keeps the stereo image of the inputs, and the generated reverberant space at the outputs is also stereo, just from a mono source.

Some reverbs, hardware and software, or some modes of some, don't sum the inputs to mono at all, so for instance the acoustic effect of someone walking across the stereo field would be as it'd be in real life. That's way less important live.

Last edited:
I

Typically but not always, reverb inputs get summed to mono, but the dry portion of the mix at the output keeps the stereo image of the inputs, and the generated reverberant space at the outputs is also stereo, just from a mono source.

Some reverbs, hardware and software, or some modes of some, don't sum the inputs to mono at all, so for instance the acoustic effect of someone walking across the stereo field would be as it'd be in real life. That's way less
Could be I have it wrong somehow in the way I tested it (wouldn't be the first time lol!) but I just tried a test again with same results. 100% wet ping pong delay with reverb block off yeilds signal bouncing Left to Right. Turning on the 100% wet Reverb block in series after the same ping pong delay yields mostly no L/R separation except for the bit provided by the stereo spread control. Dry L/R separation is 100% maintained regardless of wet level (but at 100% wet, there is no dry level). Can anyone else confirm?

Edit: In my axefx journey I've always thought that in order to get 100% pristine delays (not that I ever need that but anyway...), I either have no reverb or 2 reverb blocks L and R to get the absolute best delay separation 100% in tact. Even putting 1 reverb in parallel reduces stereo spread depending on the level since the wet reverb getting mixed in is not completely stereo.

Last edited:

Some reverbs, hardware and software, or some modes of some, don't sum the inputs to mono at all, so for instance the acoustic effect of someone walking across the stereo field would be as it'd be in real life. That's way less
The manual is our friend. You can confirm here that the wet reverb input signal is summed and the dry signal maintains the stereo:
77FC18FD-090C-46BB-ACAA-FA13C5CA4F69.jpeg

Last edited:
The manual is our friend. You can confirm here that the wet signal is summed and the dry signal maintains the stereo:
View attachment 85703
Yes, but I thought the real question was whether the reverb effect itself was stereo, the early reflections and the tail.
Do you get the exact same output on both sides, or does it try to create a more complex spacial impression?
I thought it did, but I haven't checked, like in headphones.

Yes, but I thought the real question was whether the reverb effect itself was stereo, the early reflections and the tail.
Do you get the exact same output on both sides, or does it try to create a more complex spacial impression?
I thought it did, but I haven't checked, like in headphones.
The stereo spread control seems to give it some separation but not a lot - do the pingpong test above and you'll clearly see/hear right away how it behaves - no headphones needed. The wet is pretty well mono - as per the manual.

Not sure if this is pertinent to the Reverb discussion, but the block from the manual posted above, showing the L&R signals summed, is actually one of 3 options. You can change that to only input the L or R signal also. I'd imagine with some creative effect routing, this could open up other/more possibilities for a wider stereo Reverb.

The stereo spread control seems to give it some separation but not a lot - do the pingpong test above and you'll clearly see/hear right away how it behaves - no headphones needed. The wet is pretty well mono - as per the manual.
The stereo reverb effect I'm thinking about doesn't require input that's different on the two sides, like ping pong delays. If you clap your hands in a cave, that's more or less a single point source, but the refections that come back are most definitely stereo, giving a sense of the dimensions of the room.

Most reverbs that are stereo out at all do this, generate stereo output from a mono source. Some also try to generate realistic stereo output from stereo sources. The block diagram earlier makes it clear the the Axe doesn't do that, it sums the inputs to mono. It's unclear from that whether the generated reverb reflections and tails are are stereo, but I strongly suspect they are.

Back
Top Bottom