Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

It happened to me yesterday, while moving the output block from one line to another at Axe-Edit. The headphones almost crushed my skull.

I've replicated the operation (headphones unplugged, of course), but it doesn't happen again

Did it happen to you while editing, or just playing?
Just when I power it up . No edit ,no headphones, computer was off . The preset in this case is ultra simple , gain at 6, nothing maybe 4 blocks.
My axe never freeze after manipulations , everytime it happens through different firmware is when I power it up only

16.04 made the factory presets come 'forward' in a good way for me. And also made my home-made presets come forward in an annoying way.

I always trust the updates and will adjust.

Went from 16.02 to 16.04 this morning.

+1 to everything coming forward; more present. Pick attack seems more percussive. I don't notice a lot of differences with the firmware stuff but this one I noticed immediately.

16.04 is phenomenal. The releases before have been as well. But I felt compelled to bow to my III in honor after a quick jam just now. Amazing! Might need to pick up an FM3 too. I use another device as a portable unit, but this sounds so much better. o_O

16.04 is phenomenal. The releases before have been as well. But I felt compelled to bow to my III in honor after a quick jam just now. Amazing! Might need to pick up an FM3 too. I use another device as a portable unit, but this sounds so much better. o_O
Are you noticing a big tone change?
just curious as an FM3 guy

Are you noticing a big tone change?
just curious as an FM3 guy
I didn't change any of my presets from 16.02 to 16.04. Not a big change for me; I was happy with it before. Some folks mentioned it was brighter so I was looking for that and think I hear it (I think), but it's not huge I would say.

Maybe I missed the post on it, but is there anywhere that explains the 'compander' block (and in the delay blocks), and suggested settings? I've played around with it, but no idea what it's doing, so I'm just keeping it off for now. Similar with the master time on delays.

Maybe I missed the post on it, but is there anywhere that explains the 'compander' block (and in the delay blocks), and suggested settings? I've played around with it, but no idea what it's doing, so I'm just keeping it off for now. Similar with the master time on delays.

I still haven't experimented with it, but here are a couple of notes from Cliff
To expound:
The first step in adding compansion to the delay block was creating a compander algorithm. So I created a Compander type first in the Compressor block. Once that was working I used that algorithm in the Delay block.

The Compander allows you to set the Ratio, Time, Transients and Level. Turn Transients down and the attack is reduced, turn it up and the attack is enhanced. You can use it with kick drum to enhance the punch, put it on vocals to reduce plosives, etc.

A Compander is a compressor followed by an expander. If the time constant of the compressor and expander are the same (and the "channel" is perfect, i.e. linear and lossless) then a Compander is transparent. If you change the time constant of one vs. the other the transients will become distorted.

The "Transients" knob controls the time constant mismatch. Negative values smooth the transients, positive values enhance the transients.

A Compander with transient enhancement can be used on kick drums, bass, etc. to add punch. Transient reduction can be used to reduce plosives.

For guitar you can use the Compander to add or remove pick attack.

One minor note:
The HIGHER the compander threshold the more prominent the effect. It's the threshold that makes the compander do what it does. An ideal compander would have a threshold of negative infinity dB. A real compander suffers from a finite detection threshold which is what causes the softening of the transients.

The ubiquitous NE570/SA571 has a threshold of about -60 dB so that's the default.

"Values less than zero soften the attack, value greater than zero emphasize the attack.“

From Leon:
Here's a quick example demonstrating how drive, bit reduction and finally the compander can add grit and crust to an existing delay tone

And this video around 4:00

Last edited:
Noob question: is -60 a higher threshold than -50? I would think lower, but what you wrote makes me doubt
One minor note:
The HIGHER the compander threshold the more prominent the effect. It's the threshold that makes the compander do what it does. An ideal compander would have a threshold of negative infinity dB. A real compander suffers from a finite detection threshold which is what causes the softening of the transients.

The ubiquitous NE570/SA571 has a threshold of about -60 dB so that's the default.

Back
Top Bottom