Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.03

OMG its gotten better holy moly - just updated and got latest Axe Edit - went to my trusty Leon Live preset - something has changed its sounds SUPERB - thank you much for this continued support to the greatest guitar product on the planet

Awesome! Can't wait to load it up :)

This is not a slight against other modeling companies, but if I were a dedicated user of other products, it would be hard for me to not have a “grass is greener” feeling when seeing the constant stream of updates on the undisputed King of the Mountain.
I agree 100% with you. To play Devil's advocate, though, the "other" companies don't release updates as frequently, but they're typically more substantial and are filled with numerous tangible 'things.' FAS' updates are largely under-the-hood type things that the average Joe may or may not use or notice, with the occasional model or variation on a model released. It's hard to compare them apples-to-apples, though, especially since FAS' updates just improve the overall experience, while the other brand(s) might release a bunch of new algorithms and models, they seem to all but disregard the little things that really can bring a particular amp or cab to life (of which FAS probably releases dozens and dozens each year) and they're more or less tied to real-world models. The other brand is not going to come up with a compander type of compressor and overhaul their delay block (since they just have individual real-world models), for instance. They'll release their version of an existing pedal (and, granted, occasionally come up with something original).

The long of the short of it is that yeah, FAS rocks with their updates. I'd much prefer a slow trickle of tangible/noticeable updates that accompanies a regular release of under-the-hood improvements than one or two massively big, yet superficial, updates that bring a ton of new models but don't inspire me to play more.

Last edited:
All of the delays are already in edit...

Uh. What sorcery was done here? Because holee shit. Only made it past the AC30, AC-20, Princeton and Deluxe. Haven't played it in a couple days - so maybe this is just confirmation bias - but I swear that this sounds dramatically better. It's just unbelievable now.
Power amp improvements are subtle yet audible.

Can someone provide an ELI5 rundown of how to use the compander in the delay block?
A Compander is a compressor followed by an expander. If the time constant of the compressor and expander are the same (and the "channel" is perfect, i.e. linear and lossless) then a Compander is transparent. If you change the time constant of one vs. the other the transients will become distorted.

The "Transients" knob controls the time constant mismatch. Negative values smooth the transients, positive values enhance the transients.

A Compander with transient enhancement can be used on kick drums, bass, etc. to add punch. Transient reduction can be used to reduce plosives.

For guitar you can use the Compander to add or remove pick attack.

To play Devil's advocate, though, the "other" companies don't release updates as frequently, but they're typically more substantial and are filled with numerous tangible 'things.'

Like what?

It's hard to compare them apples-to-apples, though, especially since FAS' updates just improve the overall experience, while the other brand(s) might release a bunch of new algorithms and models

FAS runs circles around other modeling developers in terms of the sheer number of amp models released. And if we're talking about Line 6, they don't generally update their amp modeling algorithms, or at least they don't mention it in their release notes.

The other brand is not going to come up with a compander type of compressor and overhaul their delay block (since they just have individual real-world models).

Kemper has updated their delay algorithms, but they've never offered any tangible improvements to their profiling algorithm, and that's not because it doesn't need it.

Last edited:
Like what?

FAS runs circles around other modeling developers in terms of the sheer number of amp models released. And if we're talking about Line 6, they don't generally update their amp modeling algorithms, or at least they don't mention it in their release notes.

Kemper's updated their delay algorithms, but they've never offered any tangible improvements to their profiling algorithm, and that's not because it doesn't need it.
Yep; I made all those points in my post. In terms of what Line 6 releases, in HX 3.0, they released 21 new amps, cabs, and effects, as well as about a dozen or so added features - but you know what? Not a damn thing that inspired me to play more or made it feel or sound better. Again, I don't disagree that FAS is king of the hill and, IMO, has the best update release methods.

A Compander is a compressor followed by an expander. If the time constant of the compressor and expander are the same (and the "channel" is perfect, i.e. linear and lossless) then a Compander is transparent. If you change the time constant of one vs. the other the transients will become distorted.

The "Transients" knob controls the time constant mismatch. Negative values smooth the transients, positive values enhance the transients.

A Compander with transient enhancement can be used on kick drums, bass, etc. to add punch. Transient reduction can be used to reduce plosives.

For guitar you can use the Compander to add or remove pick attack.
SWEET. Thanks Cliff!

Man these new delays would sound amazing through a Jumped DC30 hint hint
@FractalAudio
If numbers matter, +1. That style of amp is very prevalent in PW use (maybe other as well?), which I would imagine is a goodly number of users.

Frankly, I wonder if it is not possible for some reason.

Awesome! Can't wait to load it up :)

I agree 100% with you. To play Devil's advocate, though, the "other" companies don't release updates as frequently, but they're typically more substantial and are filled with numerous tangible 'things.' FAS' updates are largely under-the-hood type things that the average Joe may or may not use or notice, with the occasional model or variation on a model released. It's hard to compare them apples-to-apples, though, especially since FAS' updates just improve the overall experience, while the other brand(s) might release a bunch of new algorithms and models, they seem to all but disregard the little things that really can bring a particular amp or cab to life (of which FAS probably releases dozens and dozens each year) and they're more or less tied to real-world models. The other brand is not going to come up with a compander type of compressor and overhaul their delay block (since they just have individual real-world models), for instance. They'll release their version of an existing pedal (and, granted, occasionally come up with something original).

The long of the short of it is that yeah, FAS rocks with their updates. I'd much prefer a slow trickle of tangible/noticeable updates that accompanies a regular release of under-the-hood improvements than one or two massively big, yet superficial, updates that bring a ton of new models but don't inspire me to play more.
Not sure I agree with the devil's advocate - we've seen dozens of amp models, effect types, and features added over the years. I'd estimate that, averaged over time, Fractal blows the competition out of the water for goodies added in fw updates.

Last edited:
Yep; I made all those points in my post.
You said, "FAS' updates just improve the overall experience, while the other brand(s) might release a bunch of new algorithms and models"

There are only 2 new amp models and 2 new cabs in HX 3.0, and they still haven't updated their amp modeling algorithms. The bulk of HX 3.0 relates to effects. And HX 3.0 was released in February of last year.

as well as about a dozen or so added features
Less than a dozen actual new features.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
You said, "FAS' updates just improve the overall experience, while the other brand(s) might release a bunch of new algorithms and models"

There are only 2 new amp models and 2 new cabs in HX 3.0, and they still haven't updated their amp modeling algorithms. The bulk of HX 3.0 relates to effects. And HX 3.0 was released in February of last year.

Less than a dozen actual new features.
You're right, you win. Back on topic please. :)

Back
Top Bottom