Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 "Cygnus"

Between Cygnus and the Elis8, I am discovering amp after amp. The DR finally sounds and feels like the one in the shop, and the little amps are really coming to life: Tweed Deluxe, Supremo, DC30.... crazy good, just been playîng for 2,5 hours.
Tomorrow Swart and Carr

I finally upgraded from 15.01 to 16.01. Now I noticed that the Headroom meter has a very much higher amplitude with 16.01 than it was with 15.01. Is this expected behavior?

Example: Triple Crest 2, difference with 15.01 and 16.01 with exactly the same amp settings (just installed 16.01 and left the patch alone). With 16.01 the amplitude is always on the maximum. It's the same on the front panel.
View attachment 83147
All amp models were updated. They will behave differently. Turn down the MV.

Copy then reset your channel! Someone mentioned it here and its good advice. I had a hard time bonding with Cygnus since 15.1 until I rethought my approach. I took my Channel with a Freidman BE V2 and copied to Channel B (reset). It was night and day. All i adjusted was the MV and with everything else at stock settings was already sounding better than my previously (beloved) settings. I think the common mistake is not giving the new FW its chance from a clean palette where your ear/memory bias isn't interfering.

I was comparing the various Friedman BE models and I just happened to notice that for all BE and HBE models the Triode 2 Plate Frequency on the Preamp page is set to 8,500.3 Hz except for either of the V3 models which have that parameter set to 40,000 Hz. Is this correct?

Thanks

Re: Speaker Drive page > Gain/dB Meter

On axeedit, the meter is reading -0.0 dB, but the blue bar appears to be pegged at the top. Not sure if this is a fw or axeedit issue.

FW, axeedit both current. Hit the update after firmware button. Check check check.

I finally upgraded from 15.01 to 16.01. Now I noticed that the Headroom meter has a very much higher amplitude with 16.01 than it was with 15.01. Is this expected behavior?

Example: Triple Crest 2, difference with 15.01 and 16.01 with exactly the same amp settings (just installed 16.01 and left the patch alone). With 16.01 the amplitude is always at the maximum. It's the same on the front panel.
View attachment 83147
That's what is called "dynamics". I can show you how a recorded track of a real tube amp looks like and what it looks like when you record it with something like the helix. Immediately you'll see the insane spikes from the amp on heavy palm mutes, while the helix just comfortably compresses the sound. That's the key of why a tube amp sounds so insanely loud and fat in the room. In a recording, you apply a compressor anyways, but in real life situation, that's what puts a smile on your face!

Something seems to have changed with the Friedman BE V3 compared to 16.0… sounding real crispy, I may have to redo it from scratch. Similar on the Euro Blue… crispy and forward highs.

I'm on this newest firmware and I'm trying to backup everything and I keep getting a timeout message on system global+FC. Numerous times and it won't finish. I've never had an issue before. Is there something buggy or wrong? Something change recently?

Re: Speaker Drive page > Gain/dB Meter

On axeedit, the meter is reading -0.0 dB, but the blue bar appears to be pegged at the top. Not sure if this is a fw or axeedit issue.

FW, axeedit both current. Hit the update after firmware button. Check check check.
The meter is for reduction, so it's starts at -0... And goes lower.

I'm on this newest firmware and I'm trying to backup everything and I keep getting a timeout message on system global+FC. Numerous times and it won't finish. I've never had an issue before. Is there something buggy or wrong? Something change recently?
Assuming you've:
  • Confirmed you're on the current Axe-Edit and updated if not. It should update itself if it's recent enough. If you're using the standalone Fractal-Bot then confirm it's current.
  • Restarted the FX3.
  • Restarted Axe-Edit and then told it to "Refresh after new FW".
Then I have no idea why.

Lots has changed but mismatches between Axe-Edit and the firmware seems to have been the cause for backup problems for me a couple times.

Oh, it might be a USB problem. You might try rebooting the computer and/or confirming it's the current USB driver if you're on Windows.

Back
Top Bottom