Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 "Cygnus"

Can I just say - I am on the crack cocaine...wow, this FW is just amazing. Doesn't hurt that I finally got my strat set up - now it plays in tune. But wow - just changing out those IR's made all the difference in the world to me. The Brownface Super and Princeton are just amazing getting pushed with the filter...

But I'll keep the amps, cause I love the smell of burned dust on the valves that the FM3 can't replicate yet
Sounds like we have a new 'Wish List' item!! Not sure if this can be done in Firmware, so it might be a Mk III or Axe-Fx IV thing. But, I know better than to underestimate The Wizard, so you never know! :)

im guessing the only one who can answer this question is @FractalAudio... but here goes...

I have two units (to save lugging up to my office). Office unit 16.01 public release. Backed up Global + User Cabs + Presets, and then loaded onto Gig unit. At rehearsal at volume had some issues. One patch I have has a reverb switched on, for scene 1 but not on scene 2. Scene2 sounded exactly like I wanted, but scene1 was weirdly bad. Realised tonight that the Gig Unit had 16.01 beta 1 installed on it.

In that the release notes aren't identical for 16.01 beta1 and 16.01 public release, could this account for the difference?

"Improved Reverb algorithms. Added a couple new types."

I've installed 16.01 public release and re-applied the global, user cabs and presets and I think both units sound identical now, but won't really know till next rehearsal.

Is it possible the firmware was contributing?

Cheers
There was a change on the 1987 Marshall that had the wrong negative feedback setting on the beta and when I loaded the official my sound was way off on that amp. There could've been other amp affected maybe. Not sure.

Well, this forced me to get the savage and fireball home and ... well ... the FM3 is lighter to cary :tearsofjoy: But I'll keep the amps, cause I love the smell of burned dust on the valves that the FM3 can't replicate yet :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: But the sound is spot on, I can dial in the the Fireball using the Powerball model. Thank you @FractalAudio!
Would love to hear what you're doing to dial in the Fireball tone (or just get that patch, if you'd rather upload it than detail what your settings are)

Maybe it’s just me...but the 15” speakers all sound really phasey to me...I’ve never played a Vibroverb - and maybe that’s what it really sounds like, but I don’t remember them sounding like this before.
I was just playing thru the new Bank A presets and when I got to the Vibroverb I noticed a really metallic character to the tone. I thought maybe there was a Flanger or something but nothing. Changed to the 2nd scene and same thing...

Checked the Cab block and 15" VV IRs.

Loaded up my favorite cab block and boom, sounded great.

Definitely phasiness with those IRs.

Speaker Impedance Curves below ... are the differences by design?

1987X
Jumped = 4x12 Brit TV
Normal/Treble = 4x12 Basketweave

CA3+
Lead/Rhythm = 4x12 Brit Greenback
Clean = 4x12 USA Lead

Euro
Blue / Blue Modern / Red = 4x12 Basketweave
Euro Red Modern = 4x12 Brit Greenback

Fox
ODS = 4x12 Rumble
ODS Deep: 4x12 USA Lead

Legend
100 = 2x12 TX Star
100 II = 4x12 USA Lead

Mr Z
MZ-8 = 1x12 Brit G12H75
Mr MZ-35 = 1x12 Brit G12T

@FractalAudio ?

Last edited:
This Cygnus FW is a trip. Somewhere between amp in the room and mic'd amp. At first I thought something was wrong, but then it occurred to me that I was using a different guitar than I usually use and that's why it sounded off to me for the preset I was using. I swear I'm having cognitive issue these days. Anyway....I went back to using the 1987x with the 808 through a Jackson with some high gain pickups, and I was blown away. I couldn't stop playing until my hands cramped up. This seems to be a pretty huge leap forward in feel and feedback. I think my Mesa Mark V is headed to Reverb. Thanks again Fractal guys. I rant and rave this product to all who will listen to try and share in this incredible creation.

....while that was certainly the case previously, Cygnus has greatly, GREATLY reduced the amount of time spent dialing stuff in, to the point you just need to find a suitable IR and you’re on the way.
I'm a newb to not only the AF3, but to modelling in general. Mine was on FW14 when I got late in 2020, and as I scrolled thru the factory presets, I found few that I liked, right out of the box. I started tweaking, but I have so much to learn, I'd usually just skip on to a different one.

But now with Cygnus and the updated presets, holy hell! There's SO many that are great, just plug-and-play, so to speak! I'm mainly a covers player, and I've come across several (many, in fact) factory presets that immediately make me think of a particular song, and once I play it, I'm like, ok, that's done. This thing is not only fantastic, but even a new guy like me can hear the difference FW16 has made, not only in the sound and feel, but also how much easier it has become to have so many great tones readily available, just as-is.

Hi
That’s the second time in a few day that my axe 3 freeze just after power it up 🥺. The output (or input?dont remember) vu meter lights are at the maximum and I need to reboot the unit . It never happened before 16.01
Dont know if it’s related
If you had a similar experience or … tell me back
It's that JP Wah pedal you're still using. (J/K)

I'm a newb to not only the AF3, but to modelling in general. Mine was on FW14 when I got late in 2020, and as I scrolled thru the factory presets, I found few that I liked, right out of the box. I started tweaking, but I have so much to learn, I'd usually just skip on to a different one.

But now with Cygnus and the updated presets, holy hell! There's SO many that are great, just plug-and-play, so to speak! I'm mainly a covers player, and I've come across several (many, in fact) factory presets that immediately make me think of a particular song, and once I play it, I'm like, ok, that's done. This thing is not only fantastic, but even a new guy like me can hear the difference FW16 has made, not only in the sound and feel, but also how much easier it has become to have so many great tones readily available, just as-is.
New user here as well. Can not seem to find a warm sound at lower volumes .then the ones I like at lower volumes sound like a WA is on and there is no depth or resonance. I am playing thru 1 HR108

I'm getting a pop when I turn on the bright switch on the Friedman BE Fat model. I did a full reset of the amp block and it still happens.

New user here as well. Can not seem to find a warm sound at lower volumes .then the ones I like at lower volumes sound like a WA is on and there is no depth or resonance. I am playing thru 1 HR108
I usually use headphones with a correction curve in the Global EQ, and I like how many of the presets came alive with Cygnus. But today I've been playing thru my Mesa 20/20 and 2 4x12 Recto cabs, since nobody's home... I disabled the EQ, but I leave the Power Amp Modelling and Speaker Cab Sim on, and I just scrolled thru the first 50 presets, and easily 25 sounded great to me, albeit with that Recto cab flavor (but I like that for now.)

So I don't know what to say other than have you checked the basics: You know, everything? Fresh strings, good cable, Power Amp Modelling and Cab Sim ON, latest FW..., you don't have the Global EQ set to something weird...? Have you loaded the updated presets?

Back
Top Bottom